First Round Running Backs

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not at all. If he cant do what Murray did, then using the 4th pick on him was dumb as some have said. The ONLY reason this pick makes any sense is if this kid can make us completely unstoppable on the offensive end and score from anywhere on the field. He has to be special. We already had a great run game. If he cant make it all world, then this was a dumb pick.

They aren't giving Zeke 400 carries.
He needs to have a great year to validate the pick (especially by year 2) but the real measure will be if the overall run game is incredible...that and that Dallas scores more TDs like in 2014.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They aren't giving Zeke 400 carries.
He needs to have a great year to validate the pick (especially by year 2) but the real measure will be if the overall run game is incredible...that and that Dallas scores more TDs like in 2014.

AGreed. The TD's need to go way up. Murray had like 13 or 15. Zeke needs to be closer to 20 as well as having the yards. And he needs to score on some long runs.

silver

Reaction score
You can make the same argument about every position in the NFL.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Its mind boggling how so many on here are saying taking a RB at 4 is a wasted pick. The same people rather have Jalen Ramsey who will be an average CB in the league over a game changer like Zeke :facepalm:

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
If Zeke doesnt lead the league in rushing and at least match what Murray did, then this pick was far and away a major mistake.

I kind of hope we don't run him into the ground as hard as we did Murray. Would prefer to spell him once in awhile with McFadden or Morris. Need him for more than one year to be effective and not be ruined like Murray was.

So while I don't think he has to match Murray total stat wise, he needs to match him and really exceed him in effectiveness. TDs, protection effectiveness, avg yards per carry, etc. all need to be at least on par with Murray IMO. Hopefully w/o the fumbles Murray had.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It's been this way throughout history. For all positions.
So QB busts gets excused because of a bad draft class, but RB's or any other postions don't?

Also has to do with the team....Ricky Bell went #1 to TB, Tony Dorsett went #2 to Dallas in the same draft.
Blair Thomas goes what #2 to the Jets, Emmitt goes 17th to Dallas....much of it has to do with the team.

Except, it hasn't. You can find a plethora of RBs that didn't go at the top of the draft that went on to have big years in the NFL. That can't be said about many other positions. Maybe WR? It's not the same for QB or CB, you don't find a Revis or Sanders often in the third round or later. Has it happened? Sure. But it doesn't happen often.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I hope you are joking.

What is the issue here? Murray, who all of you have said was just an average back, rushed for 1,800 yards behind this line. Many of you are making Zeke out to be the next AP, are you seriously telling me him not having a 1,600-1800 season won't disappoint you?

So what is acceptable to you? A 1,200 yard season? That kind of production can be found outside of the top 5.

As I have stated: If Zeke comes out and has a Richardson-like rookie season, you put him on the trade block and hope someone bites.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
If Zeke doesnt lead the league in rushing and at least match what Murray did, then this pick was far and away a major mistake.

Not true.

I'm not trying to offend you in saying this, but you're shortsighted.

The question isn't whether or not Zeke can duplicate Murray's success in 2014. The question is can he be successful moving forward compared to what Murray would have been.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Except, it hasn't. You can find a plethora of RBs that didn't go at the top of the draft that went on to have big years in the NFL. That can't be said about many other positions. Maybe WR? It's not the same for QB or CB, you don't find a Revis or Sanders often in the third round or later. Has it happened? Sure. But it doesn't happen often.

Norman
Sherman
Harris Jr.

Three of the best. Two 5ths and an UDFA.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not true.

I'm not trying to offend you in saying this, but you're shortsighted.

The question isn't whether or not Zeke can duplicate Murray's success in 2014. The question is can he be successful moving forward compared to what Murray would have been.

short sighted? You have to be joking. Taking Zeke was short sighted and I have talked ad nauseum how short sighted that was.

The ONLY way Zeke is worth a #4 pick is if he can do something that any good RB like Murray cannot do. Matching Murrays production would just prove that taking a RB with the 4th pick was a waste.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
...and Zeke is no exception. He's an overrated waste of a 4th overall pick.

Really? That's the same mentality as looking into a crystal ball and saying he'll be the best ever. But my guess is he'll be closer to being the best ever than being an "overrated waste of a 4th overall pick".

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
This was a bad year to have the #4 pick. You could argue everyone in the top 4 way over reached.

I couldn't count how many times I've heard our fan base say that this was a bad year to have the 6th overall, the 4th overall, the 26th overall, etc, etc.

Doesn't matter where we pick, I guess we'll always be doomed. Where's the perfect spot?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score

All he has to too is be better this year than Murray was last year and how Murray will do this year. Murray got million/year and Zeke got 6 million/year. Realistically Murray will never repeat his performance of 2014...Too injury prone and too many touches, he is a used old car.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
All he has to too is be better this year than Murray was last year and how Murray will do this year. Murray got million/year and Zeke got 6 million/year. Realistically Murray will never repeat his performance of 2014...Too injury prone and too many touches, he is a used old car.

No! No! This guy has to get 1800 yards and 600 yards receiving and block his bubble butt off his 1st year because his 1st year will be his career!
That's how the draft goes! It's all about Year 1!

YEAR OOOONNNEEE!!!