First Take: trade scenario: Cowboys trade Prescott & 17th pick to Dolphins

fivetwos

Reaction score
Wait....unless I read this wrong...

Trading 17 and Prescott for 5 and 18 is basically trading Prescott for 5.

So its Prescott for Tua or Herbert.

I cant really do that, and why would anyone?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I really wonder if behind the scenes they are trying to work out a deal for Prescott before the draft.

I'd say very doubtful. Jerry thinks he has Aaron Rodgers, and can boast about the 4th round thing.

He doesnt have those kind of stones either...I don't care what he claims.

marius

Reaction score
I take, the 5 and 18 from miami for 17, Dak, and tony pollard, then renegociate, the 5 with the raiders, dallas 5 the 2nd round pick and a conditional 5 pick, for the 12 and 19 from raiders, and we now have 3 first round picks, 12,18,19 (CJ anderson CB, K'Lavon Chaisson DE ,Xavier McKinney S) or ( Javon Kinlaw DT, Xavier McKinney S, Trevon Diggs CB) etc. and sign a vetaran QB in free agency like Cam Newton or Jameis Winston two years deal, try to select Jalen Hurts with the 3rd round pick.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It would be stupid of Dallas to trade for Tua for 2 reasons:

1. Dak is not the best QB in the NFL. In my opinion, he’s not even top 10.

But what he is is a bonafide franchise QB. If Tua ended up being exactly what Dak is in 4 years time —pretty stats, no losing seasons, playoffs every other year— everyone would accept that as a good pick. So the only way you even consider that trade is if Tua’s floor, his bust level, is higher than what Dak is now. Most QBs are Ryan Leaf to Tom Brady range of potential, Anything is possible. To do this trade, Tua HAS to be Dak Prescott to Tom Brady range and only that, which is just unrealistic.

2. Cowboys situation.

To explain this, we have to make a comparison: Dak Prescott is Joe Flacco. I genuinely mean that as a compliment. Remember in 2018 when you were 3-5, and about to be roadkill and then traded for Amari and ran over the Eagles for the division championship? Wasn’t that awesome? And then last year Amari was only kind of around and Dak couldn’t quite pull it off? Remember in 2017 when Zeke missed a couple games and Dak didn’t look as Kryptonian as usual, and then Zeke wasn’t quite the best back in the world this year and you went 8-8? The narrative was never “Dak will carry them out of the burning building and win out, as per usual.” It was the Flacco narrative.

Not Flacco now, but Flacco in his prime. A perennial pro bowl slam dunk who can do what you need him to do if the pieces are there. Remember when Peyton made the Super Bowl in 2009, went 10-6 and playoff birth in 2010, then missed 2011 with an injury and the team was the worst in the entire league? Do you think Dak would have made the Super Bowl with that 3-13 team? No. But he could have with a loaded team and been the missing piece to put them over the top, like Flacco. It’s a big compliment because a lot of QBs are on loaded teams and can’t do it. Goff. Garoppolo. Alex Smith.

Now look at what the Cowboys have right this second. Imagine drafting Tua and training him to meet that unreasonable Prescott-Brady range. The next 3-4 years of cowboys football molding the next great QB. But then Tyron Smith will likely be gone by then. Zeke is probably cut too. Amari is in his 30’s and at the tail end of his deal and prime. Will Zack Martin pull a Fredbeard? TLaw’s deal will be bad by then, Jaylon’s will balloon in cap hits, LVE will be the highest paid guy at his position too....

The team is designed around the Dak era. The team is specifically made to try a Flacco run. Zeke’s contract doesn’t even make sense without Dak. Blow it all up hoping Tua somehow manages to be the QB you already have? Is that really what we’re debating here?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
That’s the only way the Cowboys might even listen. I would keep the 17th pick, take the 18th and also get the extra second round pick. I would want three first round picks for the Cowboys.

I want to spend a weekend in a Welsh castle with Kate Beckinsale. I suspect we're both going to be disappointed.