First Things First FOX:The Cowboys should try to trade Dak Prescott for Draft picks

Kwyn

Reaction score
I am not pushing any agenda here and I am speaking about ANY player with a no-trade clause, not just Dak Prescott.

You can strongly encourage a no-trade-clause player to accept a trade if you tell them you are not going to play them the whole season.

There is no rule saying you have to start or play a player with a big contract, so a team would have some leverage if they really wanted to trade a no-trade-clause player.

While it would be foolish for a team to waste that money, from a leverage standpoint not playing them would very likely impact their free agent contract with their next team given they would be a year older and having not played for a year.
Has this ever actually happened?

LittleD

Reaction score
Jerry has two choices...Extend Dak again and pay him a boatload more money or let him play out his contract like he's doing for fat Mike and offer no extensions.
Either both win it all or lose it all and Jerry rebuilds next season with new QB and Coaching staff. Jerry will pretty much have to play with the guys on the team now who
have contracts. They won't be shopping and they will have to dump or restructure some contracts to make it work.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
the choking loser will be back, Jerry can't quit the loser.

it is what it is. you sheep get in line and start the mvp crap again. we all know how the season will end again next year. sheesh.

What would be fun but would never happen is fat mike yank dak out and put Lance in for a couple of games.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mmmm

Cleveland didn't "hedge" with Watson out of football for a year +.

We need to face facts, Dak holds ALL the cards here, they also happen to be aces and he has a set of loaded dice in his pocket too just in case.
And given how little Watson has helped them since arriving, I'm guessing they seriously wish they had.

That contract was probably the worst contract ever given to any player, especially one out of football for a while and with his baggage .. and they traded picks for him.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need to face facts, Dak holds ALL the cards here, they also happen to be aces and he has a set of loaded dice in his pocket too just in case.
Well, as I keep pointing out, I was not talking about Dak, but rather any player with a no-trade clause.

That said, Dak only really holds one card (and it is a big one of course) and that's the dead money impact on the Cowboys 2024 and 2025 salary caps if he were released or traded.

If the Cowboys wanted to trade Dak (and I don't see that happening) and if Dak was willing to waive his no-trade clause for the right team (which is possible), then even if the Cowboys had to eat the salary cap hit, what they might get back in return may be worth that salary cap hit, especially if they get multiple high round picks.

That said, I don't see the Cowboys trading or releasing Dak in 2024 because the moment Jerry brought McCarthy back, he all but confirmed that Dak's not going anywhere.

I do think the Cowboys will consider drafting a high-round quarterback while also taking a hard look at Trey Lance's progress during the off-season.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has this ever actually happened?
There have been situations where teams benched a player because they couldn't agree to changes to their contract.

For example, Denver did it with Wilson toward the end of this past season and many years ago Al Davis did something similar with Marcus Allen, though each side in that battle had their own opinions of why that happened.

I think some missed my point though which was not that the Cowboys will do it with Dak, but that a player in general does not have complete control simply because they have a no-trade clause.

It gives them leverage, but not control. If it did, no team would ever give it to them.

Cmac

Reaction score
Who is it going to be? Jimmy G? Caleb Williams and Drake Maye would mortgage everything. Penix with our OL? Be careful what you wish for. I don't have any confidence in a new selection at QB.

Brooksey

Reaction score

It won't happen, the best way to handle it is to waive him post 6/1 after talks on a team friendly contract fail.

Take the cap hit of 25M, play Trey Lance and draft another QB, great year for it. We are essentially paying 30M for the QB position in 2024.

Jones will use their 2024 clause to walk if contract talks break down... which they will.

starfan1

Reaction score
Dak Sucks
Same people “hey let’s trade him for picks”
Never ceases to amaze me the rationale I see posted here

Dak isn’t going nowhere the cowboys could call his bluff but look for an extension soon so all the other dominoes can fall into place

Dak could help his cause by giving team a friendly deal so the team could be aggressive in offseason but if I were his agent why would I encourage that

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
Receivers dropping a few passes and the defense giving up a few scores was enough to put Dak into melt down mode in a wild card game at home . I’ve never seen a more mentally weak supposedly “star” QB. The team won’t find a trade partner for that over paid over rated mental midget . We are stuck with the clown show,unfrtunetely . Can’t wait for another 12-5 season followed by a melt down in first round.

Kwyn

Reaction score
It won't happen, the best way to handle it is to waive him post 6/1 after talks on a team friendly contract fail.

Take the cap hit of 25M, play Trey Lance and draft another QB, great year for it. We are essentially paying 30M for the QB position in 2024.

Jones will use their 2024 clause to walk if contract talks break down... which they will.
So, you say this is a great year for the Cowboys to take a QB. You must be referring to JJ McCarthy, Bo Nix or Michael Penix.

All three of those guys *may* be available but all three have significant challenges ahead of them but they are the only QBs who have a shot at being available when we pick.

Brooksey

Reaction score
So, you say this is a great year for the Cowboys to take a QB. You must be referring to JJ McCarthy, Bo Nix or Michael Penix.

All three of those guys *may* be available but all three have significant challenges ahead of them but they are the only QBs who have a shot at being available when we pick.
Make your best draft pick, save the 35m in cap. Start with Trey Lance or move him

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He has a no trade clause. But trading him / convincing him to accept a trade isn’t impossible. You force his hand. We aren’t extending you. You won’t even play. We are starting lance. Of course he will have a say in where he goes but it’s far from impossible to convince him to leave. But this will never happen. Our FO is too dumb.
:hammer:

hopemsu

Reaction score
Similar to Brady, mahomes, Purdy and Jackson, if he were traded to a team with a good defense he’d do quite well. Contrary to cowboys being mad at him because our defense couldn’t stop butter and because our entire team played poorly, somebody would trade alot for him and he very well could land at a better team. It might be a win win for everyone, we could upgrade our defense to go along with Micah “edge rusher only” parsons, and get a def tackle and a linebacker in the deal. Maybe even an offensive line good enough to run the ball. Who knows?

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'd be scared to get rid of him. what if the new guy chokes and sucks like dak? what would we do?

smh, what the freak would it matter? maybe the new guy won't be wearing a sissy asp man's purse. sheesh....

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Tough trade. First he has a "no trade" clause that he would have to waive. Then he and the new team would have to agree on a contract. Quite possible the Cowboys would have to pay a portion of his new salary. Likely not get great value for him under those conditions. I would not be surprised if we are at a cut or extend crossroads with Prescott. And knowing our management it is almost certainly extend and hope.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
trading isn't going to happen.
That would be like taking the ugliest girl to a beauty contest, she's never winning. That's dak. I know dak is nice. Nice don't get you a crown.