Video: Fish: “Cowboys Talking to KJ Wright”

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
How does he not fit on the field in the scheme he played in and thrived under Quinn in Seattle? He’s the FA I’ve most wanted us to sign.
Well..we tried to Draft Wolf Hunter and overlooked his previous neck injury and look what happened. We decided to pay Lee a reduced cap number and hope for the best to see if we could not sneak by and get a couple of years out of Lee and Wolf Hunter. Time to pay the piper and just draft a young healthy LBer.

It's time to stop the playing games with our roster.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You run multiple defenses for a multitude of situations and purposes.
We currently have Jaylon, LVE, and a box safety whom they will use at WLB in situations. That’s all we have besides some special teams bums who don’t even make plays there!
1 LB who is often injured, was only exceptional when playing outside one year.
1 LB who also had only one good year, overpaid, and probably best when used in specific situations that fit his best skills.
1 SS who is going to play some WLB, but will also be the #1 backup to Wilson.

And some of you guys don’t think we can find a place for KJ Wright? What are you smoking? Besides Wright, Jaylon, and LVE being the only 3 true LBs on the team who can back each other up and rotate into situations that allow them to excel based on their strengths, Wright is clearly the best of the bunch.

I’m sure we shared our interest and our max low offer for 1 year, and if he doesn’t get the contract he wanted, he may sign with us. Even then, we better draft another LB, one who can do more than play special teams. If you want to risk the 2021 season thinking you only need Jaylon, LVE, and Neal as starting LBs, even with a better DL, any long or short term injury will show you otherwise. We must sign a veteran LB capable of getting the job done.....unless we plan to draft one early on day 1 or 2 of the draft.

LB is maybe a 2.5 roster spot position. We have Jaylon, LVE, Neal, and Basham as an OLB/Rusher.

Simple question - who are we sitting for Wright? Not Neal as coverage LB, so Jaylon or LVE?

The right answer would have been to cut Jaylon pre salary guarantee, and sign Wright. But that ship has sailed. We're spending 7.2mil on Jaylon. Can't see us sitting him after choosing to spend that.

So are they giving up on LVE? Seems unlikely too, though maybe there is health news on LVE we don't know about.

The piece that makes no sense is Jaylon. But it's done. That choice has consequences, presumably.

Maybe some reporter asks McCarthy "who's playing what at LB if you sign Wright?" I wouldn't count on it, though. They've never asked the obvious question of "Why the hell is Jaylon still on the team?".

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
From what I’ve read Neal won’t be an every down LB. And do we trust LVE to stay healthy? If the price is affordable why not bring in a player that excelled in Quinn’s system?

Is Wright going to sign on the hopes of getting on the field if LVE gets injured? Is he signing to be a part timer?

We may very well need all the snaps Wright can give, but a guy of his caliber expects to start.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Fish says there’s mutual interest and they’ve been in communication. Who knows to what degree but it’s not like they aren’t acknowledging it.

He also said that Dan Quinn and Joe Whitt were not fans of Xavier Woods, I know some of you would like to know that.

yes please can this be dream , did i drink too much, but Reed and Kj could be here soon?

blueblood70

Reaction score
LB is maybe a 2.5 roster spot position. We have Jaylon, LVE, Neal, and Basham as an OLB/Rusher.

Simple question - who are we sitting for Wright? Not Neal as coverage LB, so Jaylon or LVE?

The right answer would have been to cut Jaylon pre salary guarantee, and sign Wright. But that ship has sailed. We're spending 7.2mil on Jaylon. Can't see us sitting him after choosing to spend that.

So are they giving up on LVE? Seems unlikely too, though maybe there is health news on LVE we don't know about.

The piece that makes no sense is Jaylon. But it's done. That choice has consequences, presumably.

Maybe some reporter asks McCarthy "who's playing what at LB if you sign Wright?" I wouldn't count on it, though. They've never asked the obvious question of "Why the hell is Jaylon still on the team?".
no you find away to keep them all make the tough decsions 2022..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Bucs did.

Thinking guys over 30 automatically suck by default is wrong. Equally, thinking guys that are 23/24 are inherently better than a vet is wrong minded.

Folks act like being 31 is a death sentence.

Folks don’t. The NFL does.

How did last year’s ‘30 and over’ free agents for the Cowboys work out?

Those moves look pretty “wrong minded”.

CWR

Reaction score

I think they want to be proven right on Jaylon still and are hoping the new scheme helps. Plus his contract may have dictated one more year regardless. Either way KJ is good enough to make any of them sit.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From what I’ve read Neal won’t be an every down LB. And do we trust LVE to stay healthy? If the price is affordable why not bring in a player that excelled in Quinn’s system?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against the move. I’m just skeptical about how it would all work.

If as you say the price is affordable I’m all in.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against the move. I’m just skeptical about how it would all work.

If as you say the price is affordable I’m all in.
easy this is truly a one off year to year league,, thinking of the future is an outdated concept. Go for it or get left behind each year,...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
easy this is truly a one off year to year league,, thinking of the future is an outdated concept. Go for it or get left behind each year,...

I can’t argue with that. It feels like they’ve been spinning their wheels trying to ‘keep what they have’ for years.

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
I'm guessing we could have a situation where Wright and Jaylon start at SAM and MIKE, not sure which one is better where. Then LVE and Neal rotate at WILL.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think they want to be proven right on Jaylon still and are hoping the new scheme helps. Plus his contract may have dictated one more year regardless. Either way KJ is good enough to make any of them sit.

I agree about KJ being better than what we have.

But Jaylon could have been cut to avoid 7.2mil in salary. People looking at cap hit *only for this year* can protest, but cap should be planned for now into the future. Shoving 7.2mil more down the Jaylon rathole only makes our long term cap problems worse. We have other players we can push cap forward on to get relief *this* year and eat the Jaylon dead money.

In terms of paying a player this year, couldn't we always pay them diddley this year, then guarantee a roster bonus early next year, then make the year optional after that on a ridiculous salary, so that the player is assured he'll be a free agent again?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Folks don’t. The NFL does.

How did last year’s ‘30 and over’ free agents for the Cowboys work out?

Those moves look pretty “wrong minded”.

How did some of the league’s rookies do?

Those 21-22 year olds are always guaranteed to work out.

You haven’t responded. Did Brady and Sub workout for the Bucs or not?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How did some of the league’s rookies do?

Those 21-22 year olds are always guaranteed to work out.

You haven’t responded. Did Brady and Sub workout for the Bucs or not?

Oh absolutely. You don’t need me to confirm the obvious.

817Gill

Reaction score
And do you plan your team’s future around “a season”?
I’m not seeing where the conflict of interest is. I understand you’re stuck on them guaranteeing Jaylon’s salary this year, but if they feel they made a mistake I’d rather them take KJ Wright and be punished in cap space than us be punished on the field.

I rehash the LB situation next off-season and decide who to keep and who not to. I don’t want to be boxed into Jaylon and cap space for this year is no longer a huge worry for me. It’s just rookies and last second vets to add now, after KJ and Jarran.

Loso86

Reaction score
Not disputing that at all.

My point is that this team is already significantly invested in three other linebackers already.
What other 3?. Keanu is a hybrid ss/mlb. There is LVE which this may be his last year and same for Jahlon if he doesn't play better this year. Then Gifford and 44. Sooo yea we still need LB

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not seeing where the conflict of interest is. I understand you’re stuck on them guaranteeing Jaylon’s salary this year, but if they feel they made a mistake I’d rather them take KJ Wright and be punished in cap space than us be punished on the field.

I rehash the LB situation next off-season and decide who to keep and who not to. I don’t want to be boxed into Jaylon and cap space for this year is no longer a huge worry for me. It’s just rookies and last second vets to add now, after KJ and Jarran.

I don’t think that they’ll think they made a mistake a week after they paid him.

ESisback

Reaction score
They made one mistake over paying Jaylon, don’t compound this mistake by not signing the perfect middle LBer, KJ Wright, for Quinn’s defense because we have Jaylon.

If KJ is signed and Jaylon only plays 25% of the defensive plays, this team just got A LOT BETTER AT LBer.

Hope they sign Wright, then have a great defensive draft.