Video: Fish: “Cowboys Talking to KJ Wright”

817Gill

Reaction score
Anybody being rational “cares”. To try to ignore the facts is practicing willful ignorance.
I’m kinda with him Stash. I don’t care that a high prices guy sits if we have good players on the field performing up to standard. If the money was needed to go somewhere else, I get it. But we need to upgrade defense and LB and DT are two positions where those upgrades would be welcome.

Sign KJ, cut some of Jaylon’s snaps or if LVE is injured he’ll be in anyways. Then move on from 54 or 55 next year. I’m not mad at paying extra for one year on a position group that needs to be better.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Taco Charlton started a grand total of 7 out of 32 games his two years here with a cap hit only a million less than LVE. Not saying this will happen with LVE but lets not act like it hasn't before (and recently too).

LVE’s and Taco’s situations aren’t remotely similar.

aria

Reaction score
Well we kinda made it hard for him to ball as he’s never played as a stand up rusher. Goes back to putting his hand in the dirt in Detroit and gets him some sacks.

True but he didn’t do much better afterwards and her just one of several.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m kinda with him Stash. I don’t care that a high prices guy sits if we have good players on the field performing up to standard. If the money was needed to go somewhere else, I get it. But we need to upgrade defense and LB and DT are two positions where those upgrades would be welcome.

Then you’re creating a deficit, where you’re spending more than you could possibly get back in return in the field. That’s a recipe for failure. No team can afford to invest draft picks and big salaries for guys who wouldn’t see the field.

Sign KJ, cut some of Jaylon’s snaps or if LVE is injured he’ll be in anyways. Then move on from 54 or 55 next year. I’m not mad at paying extra for one year on a position group that needs to be better.

You should be mad when there’s no way they could get the return on investment. That’s a failure.

sjmike

Reaction score
If KJ Wright is a better player than Jaylon, then YES, they definitely should play KJ Wright as a starter and play Jaylon part time. Smart people learn from their mistakes.
Are Stephon and Jerry smart enough to learn from their mistakes?

Also, we need KJ this year! He is a HUGE missing piece to Quinn’s defense. Try to sign him to multiple years, but at least get him for 1 year. This could be the year.
Are you sure that Jaylon's play last year wasn't the product of Nolan's system? Could Quinn have a system more suited to Smith's style and in which he can thrive? I think we have to find that out before we jettison 54

sjmike

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh...it seems like just yesterday fans were praising the LVE and Jaylon picks.

“We’re so good at drafting”
“We got a steal”
Although I admit that neither played well last year, could it have been the Nolan's system which didn't play to their strengths? I am not writing off either pick because both have played extremely well in the not to distant past. I'd ask ya to have a little faith but I know that I would be wasting my time

Rayman70

Reaction score
Even after we sign Wright, I wanna draft KJ Britt as well. He can be groomed to replace him eventually. Draft Baron Browning as well. These guys will push LVE and Jaylon to prove they belong in the starting lineup. Competition breeds success.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Then you’re creating a deficit, where you’re spending more than you could possibly get back in return in the field. That’s a recipe for failure. No team can afford to invest draft picks and big salaries for guys who wouldn’t see the field.

You should be mad when there’s no way they could get the return on investment. That’s a failure.

LVE is still on his rookie contract. If they don’t exercise his fifth year option, this is his last year.

817Gill

Reaction score

It’s for one season and at the end of the day the goal is to field the best team possible. I’m taking an impact player on defense anyway I can get it. The financials are easy to resolve next off-season, you simply pick the guy most reliable.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I'm glad to see that someone else understands exactly where I'm coming from.
:hammer:
I understand where you are coming from: Jerry has invested a lot of money in the Linebacker position already, and feels he has 3 starters right now, so there is not enough money to sign another starting LBer.

Hopefully though, Jerry is smart enough to realize, yes he has 3 so called starting LBers( personally I don’t think Jaylon is a good starting LBer, and LVE is always injured), BUT the perfect starting middle linebacker, to lead this defense, is available at a reasonable cost. If Jerry really wants to win, he may need to over spend on the LBer position this year and restructure a couple contracts.

Again, if we can get KJ Wright for 5-10 million per season for 1-3 seasons IT IS A NO BRAINER!!!!

Jerry make a splash move, like the old days, when you went out and signed Deon and Haley!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
You don’t use a 1st round pick or pay a guy $5 million to SIT on the bench.

Don’t let your zest for this move override reason.
This isn’t even a bold move. Watching Jaylon and LVE the last 2 years and watching KJ Wright over his career. This is a smart football move!

Play the best 3 players the majority of the time and sub in the others. Neal also plays safety. Also, paying Jaylon was a mistake! If he only plays 25% of the snaps this team will be better for it.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Doubtful he’ll ever be a Pro Bowler, but based on his salary, I think we’ll see him here for the next year or so. Longer, if Quinn can get a bounce back year from him.
They made one mistake over paying Jaylon, don’t compound this mistake by not signing the perfect middle LBer, KJ Wright, for Quinn’s defense because we have Jaylon.

If KJ is signed and Jaylon only plays 25% of the defensive plays, this team just got A LOT BETTER AT LBer.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Fantastic! Everson Griffen had 8 sacks and was selected to the Pro Bowl the year before coming to Dallas...we cut him half way through the season.

The Cowboys are where FA’s come to kill their careers.
Charles Haley was the Free Agent that put us over the top in the 90’s. Maybe, KJ can be the Free Agent that puts us over the top in 2021!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Are you sure that Jaylon's play last year wasn't the product of Nolan's system? Could Quinn have a system more suited to Smith's style and in which he can thrive? I think we have to find that out before we jettison 54
I’ve seen enough of “Swipe”.

He reacts after the snap of the ball. Almost never makes tackles at the LOS or behind it. His lateral movement and instincts are way below average for a starting LBer. This is obvious to see. Making tackles after 6-10 yard gains does not help your team win!!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s for one season and at the end of the day the goal is to field the best team possible. I’m taking an impact player on defense anyway I can get it. The financials are easy to resolve next off-season, you simply pick the guy most reliable.

And you’re talking about a soon to be 32 year old linebacker in Wright.