Video: Fish: “Cowboys Talking to KJ Wright”

817Gill

Reaction score
I don’t think that they’ll think they made a mistake a week after they paid him.
To me that’s what the Wright signing would signify. Once you’re willing to put him on the bench that much, you’re then willing to leave him off the roster. It’s that or KJ comes so cheap it’s at a backup price tag and that point it’s just about Jaylon’s feelings being hurt. Which I don’t think they will be cause he’ll still cash his game checks.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Just curious what you guys think Wright and Reed would sign for.

OTC has us at approx 8M with 3.5M available after signing our 53 (I am assuming this is the rookie class cost). I can't see either of them taking a 3.5M deal for 1yr.

My thoughts on their contracts would be:
- Reed 1 yr 5M GTD
--- I would want Reed on a multi-year deal if we can take advantage of this situation
- Wright 2 yr 10M, 6 GTD
--- OTC has Wright's Market Value @ 7.5M approx 1 year

That's around 10-12M we will need for both? You guys think that's realistic, if so we would probably only need to restructure Coop but possibly another player which I would think is unlikely would like everyone's thoughts very boring Sunday.

CWR

Reaction score
I agree about KJ being better than what we have.

But Jaylon could have been cut to avoid 7.2mil in salary. People looking at cap hit *only for this year* can protest, but cap should be planned for now into the future. Shoving 7.2mil more down the Jaylon rathole only makes our long term cap problems worse. We have other players we can push cap forward on to get relief *this* year and eat the Jaylon dead money.

In terms of paying a player this year, couldn't we always pay them diddley this year, then guarantee a roster bonus early next year, then make the year optional after that on a ridiculous salary, so that the player is assured he'll be a free agent again?

There in lies the second reason I believe he wasn't cut. They still believe in him. Most of his problems are being masked or exacerbated (depending on who you ask) by scheme. The front office still believes they can utilize Jaylons strengths. If he doesn't show up this year I expect he will be gone. Although we've hung on to bad deals for way too long before.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Just curious what you guys think Wright and Reed would sign for.

OTC has us at approx 8M with 3.5M available after signing our 53 (I am assuming this is the rookie class cost). I can't see either of them taking a 3.5M deal for 1yr.

My thoughts on their contracts would be:
- Reed 1 yr 5M GTD
--- I would want Reed on a multi-year deal if we can take advantage of this situation
- Wright 2 yr 10M, 6 GTD
--- OTC has Wright's Market Value @ 7.5M approx 1 year

That's around 10-12M we will need for both? You guys think that's realistic, if so we would probably only need to restructure Coop but possibly another player which I would think is unlikely would like everyone's thoughts very boring Sunday.

Cowboys could restructure coop or Lawrence. Those would be the two most obvious ones.

I think Reed and Wright would have been worth it.

cowboys should be trying to create a 2 year window to win a title, by signing guys who are actually good.

but they’re not

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What other 3?. Keanu is a hybrid ss/mlb. There is LVE which this may be his last year and same for Jahlon if he doesn't play better this year. Then Gifford and 44. Sooo yea we still need LB

Neal was told he’s playing WLB here. And Wright certainly isn’t the long term answer for anybody.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
There in lies the second reason I believe he wasn't cut. They still believe in him. Most of his problems are being masked or exacerbated (depending on who you ask) by scheme. The front office still believes they can utilize Jaylons strengths. If he doesn't show up this year I expect he will be gone. Although we've hung on to bad deals for way too long before.

The dream of finding just the right role for the physically limited Jaylon. Trouble is, LBers are much like TEs - they're all about the *balance* of roles you can fulfill in a personnel package.

Can't cover, can't anchor against blocks, can't drive through a blocker.
Can run across an open field and launch and tackle. Can run down players from behind. Can swoop.

The list of Cans aren't enough for any role that I can come up with.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Neal was told he’s playing WLB here. And Wright certainly isn’t the long term answer for anybody.

Another galling aspect of LBer is watching us stack up short timers. Jaylon should have been done *this* year. LVE and Neal both short term (we can't be guaranteeing LVE for next year, can we?)

Now bring on Wright?

At least Basham is a 2 year signing. Hope he proves useful.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cowboys could restructure coop or Lawrence. Those would be the two most obvious ones.

I think Reed and Wright would have been worth it.

cowboys should be trying to create a 2 year window to win a title, by signing guys who are actually good.

but they’re not

Premature to start the clock on a "window" this year after last year's debacle on defense. Maybe if this year's picks pan out, start the clock next year.

This is not the year to mortgage our cap future for a run.

Loso86

Reaction score
Neal was told wlb depending on the scheme and style. And if you didn't watch our LBS last year then maybe I would agree. Except Wright is better than Jaylon and LVE AND a leader

CWR

Reaction score
The dream of finding just the right role for the physically limited Jaylon. Trouble is, LBers are much like TEs - they're all about the *balance* of roles you can fulfill in a personnel package.

Can't cover, can't anchor against blocks, can't drive through a blocker.
Can run across an open field and launch and tackle. Can run down players from behind. Can swoop.

The list of Cans aren't enough for any role that I can come up with.

You'll get no argument from me. I cant forget 2018, but tackles be damned, he's looked terrible since we extended him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another galling aspect of LBer is watching us stack up short timers. Jaylon should have been done *this* year. LVE and Neal both short term (we can't be guaranteeing LVE for next year, can we?)

Now bring on Wright?

At least Basham is a 2 year signing. Hope he proves useful.

Is Basham actually playing linebacker or are they considering him a DE?

As for the rest, I have to think they draft more than one linebacker for the future.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Neal was told wlb depending on the scheme and style. And if you didn't watch our LBS last year then maybe I would agree. Except Wright is better than Jaylon and LVE AND a leader

I would not disagree with that. Wright is probably an improvement over any of our current options.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Premature to start the clock on a "window" this year after last year's debacle on defense. Maybe if this year's picks pan out, start the clock next year.

This is not the year to mortgage our cap future for a run.

restructuring guys like Cooper and Lawrence isn’t mortgaging the future IMO. They aren’t going anywhere anytime soon anyway.

Perhaps the term “window” wasn’t the right phrase. Really they should be more aggressive than they have been this off season. They should be aggressively trying to fix the damn defense while the offense is at the top of its game. There are no guarantees the offense stays one of the best in the league for any stretch of time.

They should be aggressively trying to get the defense better as fast as possible. IMO. They’ve just been too passive in recent years. And it’s cost them.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Is Basham actually playing linebacker or are they considering him a DE?
Don't know. Just cataloging our credible LBs. Don't really know *what* they plan on having the LBs do, or the DTs, or anyone, but the LBs in the 3-4 looks would presumably be counted on for some blitzing, and Basham seems a likely player for that role.