Video: Fish: Bones vs Jones

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It is pure stupidity not to have had a kicker in camp. Should have brought in forbath or anyone, left z on pup or ir untill he could get his legs under him a bit. That would have been smart. Let him work his way back from back surgery and not rush it.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Bones is protecting his boy, Zuerlein.

Jerry needs to put his foot down. Allow Hajrullahu to compete. If Hajrullahu wins, put Zuerlein on IR and ride the next few weeks with Hajrullahu. If Hajrullahu performs very well, time to cut Zuerlein. If Bones doesn't like, start looking for his replacement.

This and the damn kick coverage better look NFL qaulity or Bones needs to go ...I dont care what he has done before this. There has got to be accountability we dont need the JG years all over again....this staff has players they need to win with them.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Bones is protecting his boy, Zuerlein.

Jerry needs to put his foot down. Allow Hajrullahu to compete. If Hajrullahu wins, put Zuerlein on IR and ride the next few weeks with Hajrullahu. If Hajrullahu performs very well, time to cut Zuerlein. If Bones doesn't like, start looking for his replacement.

THIS ^^^^

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Coach "Bones" Fassel is a very good Special Teams coach. Everyone throughout the NFL knows that. He simply messed up by putting all of his eggs in the Greg Zuerlein basket, especially this preseason while Zuerlein had been injured, and refused to allow some other kicker the chance to prove himself. Now, it clearly contributed to the Cowboys Week 1 loss at the Buccaneers which the Cowboys would have won if they had a healthy and capable kicker (which Zuerlein is not at this moment).

It's good to see K Lirim Hajrullahu got added to the practice squad this week. I hope Jerry pushes Fassel to let Hajrullahu kick all week and add him to the 53 (while moving Zuerlein to temporary IR) so Hajrullahu can actually kick for us these next few games. I believe Hajrullahu will perform very well and open some eyes around here.
I think Bones is good as well but I'm starting to wonder.....he's not doing a good job and if he's as good as everyone says why does he keep getting fired?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This and the damn kick coverage better look NFL qaulity or Bones needs to go ...I dont care what he has done before this. There has got to be accountability we dont need the JG years all over again....this staff has players they need to win with them.
Bones is continuing that trend of what we had in Maranelli and guys like him. He has this reputation but its not producing on the field. His unit looks sloppy every week.

CWR

Reaction score
Coach "Bones" Fassel is a very good Special Teams coach. Everyone throughout the NFL knows that. He simply messed up by putting all of his eggs in the Greg Zuerlein basket, especially this preseason while Zuerlein had been injured, and refused to allow some other kicker the chance to prove himself. Now, it clearly contributed to the Cowboys Week 1 loss at the Buccaneers which the Cowboys would have won if they had a healthy and capable kicker (which Zuerlein is not at this moment).

It's good to see K Lirim Hajrullahu got added to the practice squad this week. I hope Jerry pushes Fassel to let Hajrullahu kick all week and add him to the 53 (while moving Zuerlein to temporary IR) so Hajrullahu can actually kick for us these next few games. I believe Hajrullahu will perform very well and open some eyes around here.

I get that he has a history and reputation, but its equalled jack squat in Dallas. This is year 2 of our special teams being terrible in every aspect, under Fassel.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Well Zuerlein had back surgery and is just getting back to form. He is usually a reliable and a clutch kicker. Apparently they just signed Lirim to the practice squad a quality kicker from the CFL.
No forum member in here forecasted a strong possibility that Zuerlein's kicking miscues were going to manifest themselves in the BUCS game before it started. Maybe he was kicking ok in practices.
Hindsight enables us to look like brilliant trouble shooters and solution prodigies.
Not true I forecasted that players need to play and need reps. You can’t ***** foot everyone around every little injury. Players need to play and if they can’t then they shouldn’t.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What was Jerry saying last season on the radio- how impressed he was with the special teams coach
If any player or coach has a star on his helmet, Jerry is impressed. For years, he has raved about mediocre players as if the Cowboys have found a diamond in the rough.

Here’s a flashback from 2015 with a quote from GM Jerry on how “impressed” he was with Brandon Weeden:
“Brandon Weeden is a thing of beauty throwing the football. Frankly, you won't see a more gifted passer."​
And how about this great quote from our GM on RB Joseph Randle in 2015:
“To some degree, that’s the kind of back that we had in DeMarco Murray,"​

This is why taking anything JJ says about his players with a giant grain of salt. He’s a salesman, not a talent evaluation expert.

Plankton

Reaction score
I get that he has a history and reputation, but its equalled jack squat in Dallas. This is year 2 of our special teams being terrible in every aspect, under Fassel.

The special teams were not terrible in every aspect last season - stop, that's hyperbole. They were 11th in Goose Gosselin's special team rankings last year.

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/rick-gosselins-2020-nfl-special-teams-rankings

That was a marked improvement over their 31st ranking in 2019 when Keith O'Quinn was the coordinator.

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/nfl/ravens/news/ravens-special-teams

Now, I think that McCarthy has given Fassel way too much free reign over the ST units, and the strategy during camp was absolutely asinine in terms of not having a legit kicker in camp. There should never be a time where there isn't a competition for the kicking job - there aren't that many Justin Tucker's or Adam Vinatieri's around, and kickers tend to lose it quick, so they should have to earn their jobs every year. That was a major error on his part. I also think he gets a little too cute with his fake punts and the like, but the Cowboys are light years improved over where they were in 2019.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
The special teams were not terrible in every aspect last season - stop, that's hyperbole. They were 11th in Goose Gosselin's special team rankings last year.

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/rick-gosselins-2020-nfl-special-teams-rankings

That was a marked improvement over their 31st ranking in 2019 when Keith O'Quinn was the coordinator.

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/nfl/ravens/news/ravens-special-teams

Now, I think that McCarthy has given Fassel way too much free reign over the ST units, and the strategy during camp was absolutely asinine in terms of not having a legit kicker in camp. There should never be a time where there isn't a competition for the kicking job - there aren't that many Justin Tucker's or Adam Vinatieri's around, and kickers tend to lose it quick, so they should have to earn their jobs every year. That was a major error on his part. I also think he gets a little too cute with his fake punts and the like, but the Cowboys are light years improved over where they were in 2019.

Regardless of Gooses report we seemed to have crap field position and crap punt and kick coverage. Call it what you want, but the special teams unit I've seen on the field the last couple years has been terrible. Cheesy trick plays, which often don't work isn't enough to compensate for everything else they do fundamentally wrong.

Plankton

Reaction score
Regardless of Gooses report we seemed to have crap field position and crap punt and kick coverage. Call it what you want, but the special teams unit I've seen on the field the last couple years has been terrible. Cheesy trick plays, which often don't work isn't enough to compensate for everything else they do fundamentally wrong.

They improved from 19th in kickoff coverage in 2019 to 9th in 2020.
They improved from dead last in kickoff returns in 2019 to 3rd in 2020.
They improved from dead last in net punting in 2019 to 13th in 2020, and that included 8 games from Chris Jones punting at a putrid level.
They also improved from 26th in punt returns in 2019 to 13th in 2020.

Literally in every possible area, the Cowboys special teams units improved significantly under Fassel as compared to O'Quinn. Yes, some of the fakes were asinine. But, to say that they are fundamentally wrong or bad at special teams over the last year is in no way backed by factual data.

Don't conflate the last two years of special teams under Garrett with last year. It's like comparing an apple to a zucchini.

CWR

Reaction score
They improved from 19th in kickoff coverage in 2019 to 9th in 2020.
They improved from dead last in kickoff returns in 2019 to 3rd in 2020.
They improved from dead last in net punting in 2019 to 13th in 2020, and that included 8 games from Chris Jones punting at a putrid level.
They also improved from 26th in punt returns in 2019 to 13th in 2020.

Literally in every possible area, the Cowboys special teams units improved significantly under Fassel as compared to O'Quinn. Yes, some of the fakes were asinine. But, to say that they are fundamentally wrong or bad at special teams over the last year is in no way backed by factual data.

Don't conflate the last two years of special teams under Garrett with last year. It's like comparing an apple to a zucchini.

Once again what I have seen has been nothing short of garbage. You want to shower him with praise go ahead. I saw a coach who's punt and kick coverage were terrible.

I saw guys fielding within the 5 yard line and little to no blocking. Stat that out however you want, Fassel hasn't impressed me.

I dont even need to talk about his piss poor judgment to justify my angst.

Plankton

Reaction score
Once again what I have seen has been nothing short of garbage. You want to shower him with praise go ahead. I saw a coach who's punt and kick coverage were terrible.

I saw guys fielding within the 5 yard line and little to no blocking. Stat that out however you want, Fassel hasn't impressed me.

I dont even need to talk about his piss poor judgment to justify my angst.

You're entitled to your opinions, no question.

However, what you are stating is not backed up factually in any way in terms of the performance of his units. His judgment is surely open to question, I will concur on that point.

Reactions: CWR

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

However, what you are stating is not backed up factually in any way in terms of the performance of his units. His judgment is surely open to question, I will concur on that point.

I'm specifically going off last Thursday....he needs to fix it. I dont care about last year because its in the books. They all got a pass last year (Nolan withstanding) ....I want to see the ST play better next game or MM needs to grind some bones....

birdwells1

Reaction score
Alright our kicker got the yips. It happens. Doesn't mean he won't get past it. Let's see what happens this week. Last year he was awesome.

Kickers with the yips usually cost you 2 or 3 games for sticking with them.

CWR

Reaction score

I can't logic my way past hard data. I will say context is important and I'm being sincere when I say things like I'm not seeing it on the field. Perhaps I'm too close minded and have been jaded by some terrible decisions/execution on big plays? You've convinced me towards a moratorium on crapping on Fassel. That said if we get another repeat of last week I'll bring back my pitchforks in full force. Cheers brother.