Video: Fish checks in; Training camp 2022!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
If Zeke rushes for 1k+ and 8+ TDs, there is no way the Cowboys will cut him. Instead, they will restructure his contract and keep Zeke for a few more years.

For debate sakes, barring injury, 59 yards per game is laughable for someone paid like a superstar. 1 TD every 2 games for Zeke?
Quit lowering the bar me good lad!;)

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Elliot's contract makes that a strong possibility. We'd save $5 million against the cap. If he somehow played a real high level, though, a restructure would also be a possibility. We could easily lower his cap hit by $5 million-plus and still be able to cut him in 2024 at a cap savings.

Can you please explain that last scenario? Are you saying it would be possible to restructure Zeke so that all he costs us next year is 5 million with no dead cap space after that?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’d prefer they do something like they did with demarcus lawrence. A pay cut without saying to the public it’s a pay cut

Why would you want to keep an over the hill back, getting older that no longer can hit the big runs or make plays? That hogs the carries? Wouldnt you prefer to draft a young stud on a rookie contract and go from there?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Shoot he needs to play Atleast at 2018 Zeke, if he wants to stay around. And last year before the PCL injury he was heading in that direction..

The reality is that a back drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round next year could do anything that Zeke does and be much cheaper. Zeke does nothing special.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Good to see and hear of Zeke losing 10 lbs. going into TC. It should prove beneficial for him to play at 218, rather than 228 this year. For one thing, it could make his health far easier to sustain over the long season of 17 games that physically test RBs with gimpy knees. Here's hoping Zeke manages to make his possible last hurrah one that proves him to be something more than a "former" RB star! Here's wishing him Godspeed and good health! Here, here!

That was last year he lost 10 lbs. He said nothing about this year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys moved on from Murray after he rushed for over 1800 yards with 13 TDs. He had had some injury issues during his career and was putting on mileage. I don’t care if Zeke rushes for over 1600 yards with double digit TDs the Cowboys will move on from him. He’ll have a ton of mileage on him and the Cowboys will release him. He’s making $15 million per season splitting carries with another back. That wasn’t what the Cowboys planned on when they paid him. Mike Fisher will end up being wrong as usual if he thinks Zeke will be back in 2023.

Its cute to watch the Zeke apologists get some kind of renewed hope with Fish's errant words. And you can see who they are right in this thread.

I mean honestly. Who wants to see Zeke dive up the middle EVER handoff for ANOTHER season? LOL

Its amazing how some of these fans get attached to players at the expense of team success.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Honestly, this would not surprise me at all.......keep in mind Pollard is a free agent and could easily play himself out of our price range. Also they may have second thoughts about giving another RB a 2nd contract. So it may actually be cheaper to restructure Zeke and bring him back for one more year AND draft one fairly high.

I would be completely shocked if they brought back Zeke. Even Jerry isnt that dumb.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
That is your hope, but not likely. And again, it all depends on how efficiently he goes about his job. If its at 4 ypc like last year and the year before, that wont get it done.

Fact of the matter is the Cowboys have already mentioned that they were thinking about drafting RB's this year. Jerry can get real excited about his new toys and you know RB will be a big need going into the draft next year.

I would also love for someone to give us a scenario where restructuring Zeke's contract can even be done with a big savings. Is that even possible? I think any big savings would have to be an extension and I dont see the Cowboys doing that.

Its highly likely they cut Zeke and draft some new studs to take over.
Dont mind Jerry getting abit excited, just not 1st round excited, no reason to invest in RB with other needs that are proirities.
RB is probably the easiest position to draft and sustain, but it has to be taken serious, and until this team even starts to realize the importance of the RB3, the churning prospects. then we will end up with a worn out Pollard in a just a very short time.
Zeke will be done.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No no no, you exit this bad contract as soon as you can.
Need a better RB evaluator, its very apparent that this FO has fallen asleep believing that all is well with just Zeke and Pollard.
Basically, every team in the league has recognized already the importance of RB3, but we feel that Zeke and Pollard can do an extended season all by themselves.
Not sustainable, and hasn't been.

Zeke just isnt very good anymore. From a talent standpoint and a money standpoint, it makes all the sense in the world to get rid of zeke. And you get bet once they start looking at talented young, cheap backs in the draft, cutting Zeke will make too much sense.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Zeke just isnt very good anymore. From a talent standpoint and a money standpoint, it makes all the sense in the world to get rid of zeke. And you get bet once they start looking at talented young, cheap backs in the draft, cutting Zeke will make too much sense.
Zeke is playing his last season as a Cowboy, will be a very sad but understandable dismissal.
The concern from all fans is if this FO overreacts again, and feels the need to burn the first pick on a RB.
Hellfire will be released from me, and I will probably be benched for considerable time.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Save it I’ll be right! :thumbup: The only out I will give myself is if Zeke were to take a big pay cut, assuming he has a good season. It would take a sizable pay cut for him to have any chance to return.

Man you have no stones!!

NO WAY IS ZEKE HERE next year!

Heck, his ego alone would never allow it to happen. Zeke is so set on personal statistics that he would never stay here and share the load. 4 things would have to happen:

1. Zeke would have to have a monster season
2. Pollard would have to have a bad one and NOT resign
3. Zeke would have to take a monster pay cut
4. Zeke would have to accept that he will now be sharing carries in a RB by committee and wont be guaranteed the starting job

What do you think are the odds that all 4 of those things happen?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dont mind Jerry getting abit excited, just not 1st round excited, no reason to invest in RB with other needs that are proirities.
RB is probably the easiest position to draft and sustain, but it has to be taken serious, and until this team even starts to realize the importance of the RB3, the churning prospects. then we will end up with a worn out Pollard in a just a very short time.
Zeke will be done.

Yep, and once we rid ourselves of Zeke we have to hope Jerry doenst blow it again and draft a back in the first again.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Why would you want to keep an over the hill back, getting older that no longer can hit the big runs or make plays? That hogs the carries? Wouldnt you prefer to draft a young stud on a rookie contract and go from there?
What I want and Jerry’s history of hanging on to players too long are 2 different things

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke is playing his last season as a Cowboy, will be a very sad but understandable dismissal.
The concern from all fans is if this FO overreacts again, and feels the need to burn the first pick on a RB.
Hellfire will be released from me, and I will probably be benched for considerable time.

You have to think to that MM is going to want to get HIS guy in there. Zeke is from the old guard and how tired do you think guys like MM and Moore are of Jerry pushing Zeke on them?