Video: Fish: Cowboys and Falcons have talked about a trade up. Fish says it is not true aka clickbait

Carson

Reaction score
San Fran went from 12 to 3. They have up a 2021 3rd, 1st rounders in 2022 and 2023.

My guess it would take 10th overall, a 3rd and a first next year

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yep.........Tony Dorsett (lol)
Can anyone think of the last time a deal really worked out for us when we tried to trade up or gave up 1st rounders in a trade? I'm not saying there are none, but I can't think of any. I can think of several instances where trading down worked out for us.
Russell Maryland, although they traded up initially for Rocket Ismail, who instead opted for the Canadian football league. Still Maryland was a really good player.

Emmitt Smith worked out OK. Moved up from 21 to 17 with Pittsburgh.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I will say this ........IF the Falcons aren't going QB or Pitts, I'm guessing our spot at 10 is probably the lowest they's wanna drop.
Keep in mind, Quinn just spent what 4-5 years in the organization
It makes you wonder though what on earth would they even want at 10? I

I guess you could argue cornerback? They drafted AJ Terrell last year....maybe Parsons? If they are going offense though it makes no sense to trade down to get linemen, QB or receiver when they are right there at 4.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I think what Fish meants was that Dallas called Atlanta just to make sure they knew they had the 4th pick..not really the same thing

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How can anyone even question if this front office would do anything with as unpredictable as they are?
How are they unpredictable?

They've been pretty conventional in the draft over the last few years. They mostly tend to stay put early and take value when it falls to them, and trade around for guys they like late. And it seems like every coordinator gets to have one pet cat at some point in the draft.

Their free agency behavior has been extremely predictable: ignore the big flashy names, wait to look for bargains.

Even how they approach their own players is predictable: drag things out and create maximum tension with the player and his agent, and then cave and give them whatever they want. It's not all great, but it's all pretty predictable.

Sydla

Reaction score
By the way, it would be soooooooo Jerry Jones to trade up for Pitts. Blow a bunch of picks in this draft and next year that could be used to fix a big problem, defense, to move up to take Jerry's latest shiny toy fascination.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasn't it just two days ago we all saw this tweet from Shefty about MULTIPLE teams talking to them...

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Because we all KNOW that government and Corporate America LOVE the people and would NEVER lie to them! Agendas, secret meetings, double dealings? Yeah, RIGHT!

Unless you have a new Mara /Goodell / New York Giants theory to propose, run along, Q-bert.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
The liquor store guy has a better track record than Fish.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How are they unpredictable?

They've been pretty conventional in the draft over the last few years. They mostly tend to stay put early and take value when it falls to them, and trade around for guys they like late. And it seems like every coordinator gets to have one pet cat at some point in the draft.

Their free agency behavior has been extremely predictable: ignore the big flashy names, wait to look for bargains.

Even how they approach their own players is predictable: drag things out and create maximum tension with the player and his agent, and then cave and give them whatever they want. It's not all great, but it's all pretty predictable.
If you want to say the last few years that's fine but if I'm going based on the past 10 years? Sort of the end of Romo's era and into the Dak era? I expect the unexpected with them.

And we can sit here and say they are predictable but I'm here every draft and I recall no one expecting them to take Tyron Smith. No one expected them to trade down and draft Fredericks in the 1st round. Many thought Johnny Football before even Zack Martin. In 2016, I Think most expected Jaylon Ramsey before talking themselves into Zeke.

To me the Ravens are predictable. I know going into this draft they are going to draft some linebackers and offensive linemen. I know what to expect from the Steelers. Cowboys don't fit that mold. No one with a straight face can sit here and say they know what they will do with that 1st pick.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd say most of us fans are predictable and this organization rarely makes moves the fans would do. Their recent history has been far more unpredictable than predictable at least to me. To me it was predictable this team freed up cap space by signing Dak to a long term deal that they would use that money to bring in to fill in holes in free agency. Maybe I should've expected them to bring in the Falcons safeties to improve that unit but I sure as hell didn't expect it.

As of right now I have NO idea where they will go in the draft. I'd say going with Surtain would be predictable. But I have no faith they'd even go defense right now.
They behaved in free agency this year the way they've behaved every single year since they signed Carr. The fact that you expected them to do something different is on you: what they did was utterly predictable.

As far as the draft, the predictable thing for them to do would be to stay put at 10 and take the best player on their board, offense or defense. That's what they usually do: Lamb last year, LVE before that, Byron Jones, Zack Martin. I think they diverged from that a couple times recently, mostly by letting Marinelli have too much say: Hill and Charlton come to mind. So there is some unpredictability, but not a ton, I think.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
That is 100% what it is.
Fish noted they haven;t spoken to ATL about pick 4 which would have been enough as headline, story and content.
He threw in other items to milk this nonsense story for content.

This is why the media always wins. People are at the mercy of their own emotions, ripe for swaying this way or that way.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only team that will take Pitts at 4 is ATL. The only team trading up to 4 is taking a QB, not a TE. Fields, Lance or Jones, 2 of those 3 is still on the board at 4 and no team is trading up to 4 for a TE, including the Cowboys.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hello wall, my old friend
I've come to throw at you again
Because traffic is slowly slipping
My revenue keeps decreasing
And the rumors that I post are quite obscene
and reaching
But it's the bait for clicks
-- Fisher

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It makes you wonder though what on earth would they even want at 10? I

I guess you could argue cornerback? They drafted AJ Terrell last year....maybe Parsons? If they are going offense though it makes no sense to trade down to get linemen, QB or receiver when they are right there at 4.
Makes sense if someone pays QB money to move up.
The obvious options were NE at 15 and CAR at 8 but with the Darnold trade 8 is likely out.
Which means ATL needs someone else to be interested other than NE to drive the price up.
Thus easy peasy use Cowboys name here nonsense.

Dallas is almost certainly not giving up the required draft capital to move up.
It would be a fairly criminal misuse of resources.
DAL scouts may very well love Pitts as they do love physical outliers but I am fairly certain they also love Sewell, Slater and Surtain.
All freaks as well and at higher value positions.