Fish: Cowboys desperate to trade up

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Cavanaugh develops too many man crushes on average players. This year's crush is Skye Moore.
Honestlyi think he copies pff podcasts. This is the second year he copied pff. Last year pff hyped up ardarius Washington before anybody and Cavanaugh copied. This year its sky moore. I watch pff podcasts unlike most so i see it.

Flamma

Reaction score
I highly doubt they trade up for a WR. In fact, besides RB I'd eliminate WR as a trade up target. My guess is they're targeting Jordan Davis or Kyle Hamilton as players that can realistically be there at 14. Or some better player if he slips.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
According to Dallas reporters, including Jane, Dallas is coveting 3 players.
  • Cross, a future pro bowl left tackle in their opinion, and yes, he would plug in at guard this year, but it’s a pick for future years.
  • Drake London, WR who has unique size and skills not seen every year…..chain mover, Redzone, and gets downfield.
  • Penning….again, future left tackle….immediate guard….if Cross is gone.
Why top 14? Duh! Philly picks at 15! They don’t want Philly’s leftovers. They clearly covet these three guys and feel they will get one at 14.

I know there are fans here who want Williams, Olave, others. There are good route runners and those who can learn to be good route runners. There are quick, speedy WRs in every draft, and they are wonderful, but sounds like Dallas sees something rare in London.

And for those who hate wr in round 1. It’s the smart move if there’s someone there you love. Get a great one on a rookie contract you control for 4-5 years as wr contracts explode. This draft is much deeper in starting caliber guards than in franchise Left tackles or truly special ready to go WRs. Clearly, the Cowboys don’t want to just take a guard at 24 and be happy. Maybe get your LT and still get a guard later or a great wr and a starting guard later.

Flamma

Reaction score
Hope not for WR. Didn’t we spend 1sts on Cooper and Lamb and a 2nd on Gallup in the past few years? We haven’t invested anything remotely close to any other position group.

Gallup was a 3rd round pick. But yeah, at some point it gets ridiculous. And now trade up for a WR? The only thing that would surprise me more is if they drafted a K.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I highly doubt they trade up for a WR. In fact, besides RB I'd eliminate WR as a trade up target. My guess is they're targeting Jordan Davis or Kyle Hamilton as players that can realistically be there at 14. Or some better player if he slips.
You dream….Dallas doesn’t value safeties or DTs….that hasn’t changed, and neither is a need.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
  • Cross, a future pro bowl left tackle in their opinion, and yes, he would plug in at guard this year, but it’s a pick for future years.
  • Drake London, WR who has unique size and skills not seen every year…..chain mover, Redzone, and gets downfield.
Why top 14? Duh! Philly picks at 15! They don’t want Philly’s leftovers. They clearly covet these three guys and feel they will get one at 14.

I know there are fans here who want Williams, Olave, others. There are good route runners and those who can learn to be good route runners. There are quick, speedy WRs in every draft, and they are wonderful, but sounds like Dallas sees something rare in London.

And for those who hate wr in round 1. It’s the smart move if there’s someone there you love. Get a great one on a rookie contract you control for 4-5 years as wr contracts explode. This draft is much deeper in starting caliber guards than in franchise Left tackles or truly special ready to go WRs. Clearly, the Cowboys don’t want to just take a guard at 24 and be happy. Maybe get your LT and still get a guard later or a great wr and a starting guard later.

Carson

Reaction score

I promise you, Philly doesn't covet any of those guys outside of London. Even then, I am sure they would be happy with Jameson Williams. It's frustrating seeing Dallas covet London. It's another big body, not a lot of seperation type player. We have Gallup who is amazing on fades, slants and outs. Lambs does a bit of everything. Why not get a guy with pure 4.3 speed that can take the top off of a defense?

This goes back to the SF playoff game. "Stop the run. Make them pass and make Dak beat you". London doesn't help. I like London. I'm just not mortgaging the future on him. Teams will continue to stack the box.

What is ridiculous is they want to draft a guy like Cross, who played in an air raid, zone blocking scheme and struggled more in the run. Penning is going to be penalized like crazy.

But hey! Why not just pass on the 1-2 PURE guards that are elite GUARDS in Zion / Green.

Flamma

Reaction score
You dream….Dallas doesn’t value safeties or DTs….that hasn’t changed, and neither is a need.

I don't have a need for a new car, doesn't mean it's a nice car. We can't stop the run, of course it's a need. And I am aware of what Dallas doesn't value. Maybe the right guy has to be there? I just don't see who else they'd be targeting. I don't think Cross will be there. Or any of the top edge rushers.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Kayvon Thibodeaux, I keep seeing rumors that if he somehow slips seahawks at 9 then Dallas may try to move up and get him. How much truth there is to that?, who knows. That is why they are rumors
The only truth is that KT wont slip out of the top 10.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I doubt very seriously the Cowboys are looking to trade up into the top 14, especially prior to the draft. Not only would it be costly but they have no idea who’s going to be available in the top 14. If they trade up it will be during the draft to select a player that’s falling.
I don't know how I feel about trading into the top 14, depends on what we give up and who we end end picking. Between players slipping and other draft day trades another team may be willing to overpay for that spot. I think if they decide to trade up, I would rather before the draft than during.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

OK, Cross I could understand, because he does have the flexibility to step in at guard but also be the LT in waiting. And he likely will be gone in the first 15. I just don't see the fascination with WR. There are a ton of them in this draft. Are there many like London? Not really, but there weren't a lot like Cooper especially in regard to route running and getting open but we got rid of him. I have seen Penning all over the board in first and second round. Would be silly to trade up for him.

Overall, it seems ridiculous to pay extra to get into the first round. To move 10 spots in will cost at least our second rounder and likely more.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cavanaugh develops too many man crushes on average players. This year's crush is Skye Moore.
He is fun when he can come off as an excitable fan, but you have to choose whether you are going to do that or be taken seriously. Cant really do both

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about trading into the top 14, depends on what we give up and who we end end picking. Between players slipping and other draft day trades another team may be willing to overpay for that spot. I think if they decide to trade up, I would rather before the draft than during.

I wouldn’t trade up that far it would cost us at least 2 draft picks. I could see us moving up two or three spots but not 10 spots.

Last edited: