News: FISH: Cowboys Pinpoint DL Adrian Clayborn

speedkilz88

Reaction score
MIKE FISHER
Yesterday at 7:02 PM
LINK For Full Article

Adrian Clayborn is among the Cowboys' pinpointed guys in free agency, sources tell CHQ. And if he's as good as ex-Falcons All-Pro Chuck Smith says he is? Dallas is onto something here.

Last spring, Adrian Clayborn was signed to a one-year deal in Atlanta, the belief about the former first-round pick being that he would revitalize his career with the Falcons as he was coming off knee and bicep injuries while in Tampa.

Fast-forward to a year later. The career is revitalized. The Cowboys like former first-rounders who are reclamation projects who don't come at Tier-1 prices ... and they like Clayborn, who sources tell CHQ has already been contacted with the goal being an agreement with Dallas.

Falcons former All-Pro pass-rusher Chuck Smith, who trains Clayborn, tells CHQ: "He's dynamic. He'll be the best pass-rusher on Dallas' roster. He'll get you eight or nine sacks.''

The Falcons almost certainly view Clayborn as a "situational guy'' and didn't want to overpay. The Cowboys feel the same way ... and here, believe they will not overpay.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's interesting and enlightening here is the previous unknown nugget that the Cowboys are talking to players with the ultimate goal to potentially sign them.

He's dynamic. He'll be the pass rusher on the team. He'll get you 8, possibly even 9 sacks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, based on the 3 sacks he got in Atlanta last year. What a 'career revitalization'!

This 4-3 defensive shift has taken us right back to where so many of us feared. A team with no pass rush, scrambling for answers. Just like the good old days.

Demarcus Lawrence can play the role of 'end of days' Charles Haley, whose career was ended because of back issues, only Lawrence can do it much sooner.

Randy Gregory can play Shante Carver, a bust draft pick who never accomplished anything.

Clayborn can be Marcellus Wiley all over again and bring those same 3 sacks.

And we can waste the #4 overall pick on Joey Bosa to handle the Greg Hardy role and get us 7-8 sacks a year and never be worth the draft pick invested in him.

Sorry, for being a downer, but the thought of this glacier being any sort of answer, especially if they let Hardy go, is beyond depressing...

:(

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Brace yourself

When his name came up before, I actually thought it would be a decent signing given we need some depth at DE. We certainly could use a guy like him, especially since it appears he'll be on the cheaper side.

But now I read this and I am scared that the Cowboys think like Smith.......... that Clayborn is about to bust out in sacks and that they think they have found a cheaper version of Hardy and the solution to their pass rush problems.

I guess I should have prepared myself for the Cowboys being passive and cheap in free agency again. When they didn't restructure some guys immediately like Crawford and Smith or cut a guy like Carr, I think it signaled they didn't need the cap space because they don't plan on being that active, other than a handful of mid to low end signings with a few being "projects" that they think will find themselves.

I hope I am wrong.

rockj7

Reaction score
What's interesting and enlightening here is the previous unknown nugget that the Cowboys are talking to players with the ultimate goal to potentially sign them.

He's dynamic. He'll be the pass rusher on the team. He'll get you 8, possibly even 9 sacks.

Not to sound like Mickey but if he is so dynamic why are the Falcons not resigning him

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

And you say Jones never learns.

Yes, I thought it was great that his ex-teammate says a guy who has never gotten eight or nine sacks will do it in Dallas. I don't think it's hyperbole, so I'm expecting it now.

gimmesix

Reaction score
When his name came up before, I actually thought it would be a decent signing given we need some depth at DE. We certainly could use a guy like him, especially since it appears he'll be on the cheaper side.

But now I read this and I am scared that the Cowboys think like Smith.......... that Clayborn is about to bust out in sacks and that they think they have found a cheaper version of Hardy and the solution to their pass rush problems.

I guess I should have prepared myself for the Cowboys being passive and cheap in free agency again. When they didn't restructure some guys immediately like Crawford and Smith or cut a guy like Carr, I think it signaled they didn't need the cap space because they don't plan on being that active, other than a handful of mid to low end signings with a few being "projects" that they think will find themselves.

I hope I am wrong.

I think it's presumptuous to assume that Dallas looks at Clayborn as a cheaper version of Hardy. It's more likely the team looks at him as a more expensive version of Mincey.

However, it is possible the team thinks it can get by with a more expensive version of Mincey.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I hope I am wrong.

Here's another bit of info that's sure to make you feel even better.

This guy's former team finished far and away the lowest with a pathetic 19 sacks, good for 32nd and dead last in the league.

And even that team saw that this guy didn't bring any pass rush and moved him inside for a good majority of the year.

So, apparently the thinking in Dallas is that if you want to improve your pass rush, you start by letting your best one go, and then looking to the team that finished worst at it than everyone else for your replacement.

:thumbup:

:banghead:

gimmesix

Reaction score
Some will criticize the Cowboys no matter what they do. This wouldn't mean they wouldn't draft a pass rusher in the first or second round. Sounds like a good rotational rushman. Why not bring him in at a reasonable salary?

I ultimately think this is what will end up happening (if Dallas does sign Clayborn).

We need at least four ends. We've got 1 1/2 (Lawrence, Gregory). Clayborn comes in as a rotational guy and Dallas drafts Bosa. If Bosa is off the board, then Buckner might be possible.

Zordon

Reaction score

Man I can smell the Super Bowl from here. This team is an extra point here, a fumble recovery there, and an Adrian Clayborn signing from getting back to the big show baby!

Jerry Jones-

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Sydla

Reaction score
Some will criticize the Cowboys no matter what they do. This wouldn't mean they wouldn't draft a pass rusher in the first or second round. Sounds like a good rotational rushman. Why not bring him in at a reasonable salary?

I don't think anyone really has a problem with signing this guy as a rotational guy.

The problem is the Jones' have been screaming about fixing the pass rush for weeks and now when it appears we are after this guy, suddenly there is chatter that this guy might be a 9 sack guy (when he probably isn't). That's scary in the sense that you wonder if the Jones' are buying the hype and think this guy is the elixir to their pass rush woes.

And there isn't a lot in the draft that solves the pass rush problems. Spence might be one of the only real pure pass rushers available in the first round or two.

What's also scary is that there never seems to be a middle ground with this org. Either they go balls to the wall in free agency and throw money around like candy or they go the exact opposite and sign low and mid-tier guys and talk about their potential, etc.

RS12

Reaction score
Is this premium content? Broaddus has been tweeting this for a while.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some will criticize the Cowboys no matter what they do.

While some will praise the Cowboys no matter what they do.

This wouldn't mean they wouldn't draft a pass rusher in the first or second round. Sounds like a good rotational rushman. Why not bring him in at a reasonable salary?

He got $3 million from the Falcons last year. I don't consider that, or anything close to it to be "reasonable".

But if he's being looked at as a Mincey-level replacement and cost, I have far less of an issue with it.

jnday

Reaction score
I am really hoping when the Jones boys talked about the pass rush being priority #1, that they didn't just mean Adrian Clayborn.

I think he is the pass rusher that they loved and wanted. Fans wanted more pass rushers and Jerry is trying to get us one. Now everybody can take Bosa off their mock drafts. Dallas doesn't need him. The problem is fixed .

Sydla

Reaction score
I ultimately think this is what will end up happening (if Dallas does sign Clayborn).

We need at least four ends. We've got 1 1/2 (Lawrence, Gregory). Clayborn comes in as a rotational guy and Dallas drafts Bosa. If Bosa is off the board, then Buckner might be possible.

Which would give us 2 strong side ends, one hybrid and one guy one more failed drug test away from being the most famous burger flipper at the Lincoln, NE burger king.

reddyuta

Reaction score

Debbie downer .