News: FISH: Cowboys Pinpoint DL Adrian Clayborn

Reaction score
I ultimately think this is what will end up happening (if Dallas does sign Clayborn).

We need at least four ends. We've got 1 1/2 (Lawrence, Gregory). Clayborn comes in as a rotational guy and Dallas drafts Bosa. If Bosa is off the board, then Buckner might be possible.

Buckner is as dumb as a bag of paper clips. For that reason alone, I don't want him.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Some will criticize the Cowboys no matter what they do. This wouldn't mean they wouldn't draft a pass rusher in the first or second round. Sounds like a good rotational rushman. Why not bring him in at a reasonable salary?

Guarantee if we didn't even try to kick the tires on Clayborn, and say someone like the Giants, Seahawks, or Broncos signed him, we'd hear the same guys *****ing now, *****ing about how the Cowboys aren't being proactive and don't care about addressing the pass rush.

Sydla

Reaction score
Guarantee if we didn't even try to kick the tires on Clayborn, and say someone like the Giants, Seahawks, or Broncos signed him, we'd here the same guys *****ing now, *****ing about how the Cowboys aren't being proactive and don't care about addressing the pass rush.

Most agree that signing Clayborn to a team friendly deal is a decent move for depth. The problem arises when/if the team views Clayborn as a reclamation project that they will turn into a 9 sack guy and will solve the pass rush problems of this team. It's not about kicking or not kicking the tires of Clayborn. It's kicking the tires with the idea that this tire is the solution to your biggest problem. That's the fear people have.

And it's a justified concern.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Most agree that signing Clayborn to a team friendly deal is a decent move for depth. The problem arises when/if the team views Clayborn as a reclamation project that they will turn into a 9 sack guy and will solve the pass rush problems of this team. It's not about kicking or not kicking the tires of Clayborn. It's kicking the tires with the idea that this tire is the solution to your biggest problem. That's the fear people have.

And it's a justified concern.

I get that, but I highly doubt that acquiring Clayborn is a finite decision that stops Dallas from continuing to try and acquire more talent on the D-line.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Here's another bit of info that's sure to make you feel even better.

This guy's former team finished far and away the lowest with a pathetic 19 sacks, good for 32nd and dead last in the league.

And even that team saw that this guy didn't bring any pass rush and moved him inside for a good majority of the year.

So, apparently the thinking in Dallas is that if you want to improve your pass rush, you start by letting your best one go, and then looking to the team that finished worst at it than everyone else for your replacement.

:thumbup:

:banghead:

But will he miss a meeting is the question?

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Yeah, based on the 3 sacks he got in Atlanta last year. What a 'career revitalization'!

This 4-3 defensive shift has taken us right back to where so many of us feared. A team with no pass rush, scrambling for answers. Just like the good old days.

Demarcus Lawrence can play the role of 'end of days' Charles Haley, whose career was ended because of back issues, only Lawrence can do it much sooner.

Randy Gregory can play Shante Carver, a bust draft pick who never accomplished anything.

Clayborn can be Marcellus Wiley all over again and bring those same 3 sacks.

And we can waste the #4 overall pick on Joey Bosa to handle the Greg Hardy role and get us 7-8 sacks a year and never be worth the draft pick invested in him.

Sorry, for being a downer, but the thought of this glacier being any sort of answer, especially if they let Hardy go, is beyond depressing...

:(

And that's why we should be drafting a QB at 4 this year.

If he turn's out as good as or better than Romo we have a chance and there is hope.

Sydla

Reaction score
I get that, but I highly doubt that acquiring Clayborn is a finite decision that stops Dallas from continuing to try and acquire more talent on the D-line.

Unfortunately, this organization has given its fans more than enough ammo to think otherwise.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Which would give us 2 strong side ends, one hybrid and one guy one more failed drug test away from being the most famous burger flipper at the Lincoln, NE burger king.

Lawrence would switch to right end with Gregory a rotational guy there (possibly with Lawrence playing left end in pass rushing situations).

Bosa or Buckner would start at left end with Clayborn a rotational guy there (and Bosa/Buckner moving inside next to Crawford on passing downs).

Gregory is obviously the wild card because he obviously has a serious problem with marijuana, but Dallas would still have three ends it could count on.

I think this is the likely plan. That doesn't mean it's a perfect plan.

rockj7

Reaction score
Chicken littles everywhere....in March....with no real information about what this team plans to do.

Quite humorous.

Quite sad.

Bro if we where coming off a NFC title game or SuperBowl or even a playoff victory no one could say boo about any moves but when your coming off a 4-12 season and only have 1 playoff in the Las 6 seasons your going to be a tad pissed

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys arent looking for dynamic productiom from a single player, they are looking for consistant contributors to a squad where everyone gets snaps.

They will pick up one or two guys from each source, free agency, the draft, preseason cuts. They young guys on the team will continue to learn and work hard to improve.

Ive always beleived that a team improves mostly by the players already on the team making great strides during their 2nd and 3rd seasons

rockj7

Reaction score
Guarantee if we didn't even try to kick the tires on Clayborn, and say someone like the Giants, Seahawks, or Broncos signed him, we'd hear the same guys *****ing now, *****ing about how the Cowboys aren't being proactive and don't care about addressing the pass rush.

I like how you mentioned teams that have all won Superbowls in this millennium When you win rings your afford slack by your fan base

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Lawrence would switch to right end with Gregory a rotational guy there (possibly with Lawrence playing left end in pass rushing situations).

Bosa or Buckner would start at left end with Clayborn a rotational guy there (and Bosa/Buckner moving inside next to Crawford on passing downs).

Gregory is obviously the wild card because he obviously has a serious problem with marijuana, but Dallas would still have three ends it could count on.

I think this is the likely plan. That doesn't mean it's a perfect plan.

Buckner's best spot will likely be inside in the 4-3.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Man I can smell the Super Bowl from here. This team is an extra point here, a fumble recovery there, and an Adrian Clayborn signing from getting back to the big show baby!

Jerry Jones-

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Case in point to my previous post.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

You can take that to the bank.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He's the McKenzie Bernadeau of DLs. He's not a guy you jump up and down about, either out of happiness or out of anger. He's a dude you sign inexpensively so that you're covered as much as possible in the draft and can just follow your board to add good players.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
isn't this the same group that though a joseph randle was a starting running back material and that Brandon weedon was quality backup qb. I don't trust any thing they say period. until they prove with action they are winners there record stands as what they really are.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chicken littles everywhere....in March....with no real information about what this team plans to do.

Quite humorous.

Quite sad.

After 4-12, neither you nor anyone else has the right to be smug. About anything.

Sydla

Reaction score
Bro if we where coming off a NFC title game or SuperBowl or even a playoff victory no one could say boo about any moves but when your coming off a 4-12 season and only have 1 playoff in the Las 6 seasons your going to be a tad pissed

It's really amazing how people are surprised that the natives are restless here.

This organization has been a textbook example of futility since the SB run era of the 90s.

But fans are supposed to just sit there and smile every single offseason? Great job, Jerry!