Twitter: Fish: Cowboys tried to trade Jaylon Smith in a trade up for 6 overall

AbeBeta

Reaction score
hmm,should have traded hin for a 7th rd pick.

How many times do people have to tell you that this is not how you treat a popular locker room guy? Or any player with a big contract that you have any respect for at all. Release him and let him find his next spot freely. Respect players and players want to come here. Be a jerk to players and you end up having to spend big money on players that aren't all that good just to get to the cap floor.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
How many times do people have to tell you that this is not how you treat a popular locker room guy? Or any player with a big contract that you have any respect for at all. Release him and let him find his next spot freely. Respect players and players want to come here. Be a jerk to players and you end up having to spend big money on players that aren't all that good just to get to the cap floor.

I could see Jerry telling Smith "hey we tried but it aint working here, your ST player or I can release you and let you find a home"....probably how the conversation went.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, even though I really wanted Surtain. That trade would have been disaster. Reminds me of the Claiborne trade.
Disaster? Hardly. Trading Jaylon and #10 up to get Surtain would have been fine. I mean, obviously getting Parsons looks like the best possible outcome, but there's no comparison to the Claiborne trade, where we gave up a 2nd-round pick.

rambo2

Reaction score
Why? The did try to trade him. It actually turned out pretty good. The team is playing great and they did get him off the loaded roster.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Disaster? Hardly. Trading Jaylon and #10 up to get Surtain would have been fine. I mean, obviously getting Parsons looks like the best possible outcome, but there's no comparison to the Claiborne trade, where we gave up a 2nd-round pick.
Surtain has been ok for Denver. I should not have compared him to Claiborne. I just remember us passing on Keukley and Cox who might of been Hall of Famers with us. We used the 10th pick in the draft on two quality players.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Surtain and Horn were ranked as the top two CBs leading into the draft - but Parsons was rated as the best defensive player overall.
Doesn't matter, they prioritized taking a less rated corner, when they were gone they followed their board.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Parsons is a generational talent.

If all prospects from the past 5 drafts were in the next draft, Horn/Surtain wouldn't be in the top 5 CBs drafted.
They were actually mid-1st round talents, where Farley was the only top 10 prospect, prior to his injury. This pushed up all the corners.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Should of traded him for a club house boy, anyone would of been smarter than Smith. His phantom tackles were fricking brutal to watch..................

Macnalty

Reaction score
Parsons is a generational talent.

If all prospects from the past 5 drafts were in the next draft, Horn/Surtain wouldn't be in the top 5 CBs drafted.
We I first read that I said to myself no way, after thinking a bit you might just be correct. Draft gods were in our pocket this first round of 2021, no apologies.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Sometimes you get lucky, Horn/Surtain are good prospects, but don't think either have that elite potential Parsons has.

Oh hell no...I haven't watched Surtain this year but Horn was solid before hurting his foot and he's out now. Parsons is LT Light at this point. He's a mad dog and we were damn lucky to get him. He'll be the best player from this draft in the short and long run.