Fish: Crawford is McCoys replacement

stilltheguru

Reaction score
This makes the most sense.

IMO, Crawford was at his best at 3-tech. Never understood why the previous regime kept putting him at DE.
Because hes fragile. Dude in the other thread talked about him playing DT in 2018 but i don't recall that. DE kept him healthy

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was thinking he would end up as a luxury but if he is gonna start they cant ask him to take a cut.

I personally still would, but Jerry wont go that way.

If you're telling me Harrison for 1M or Crawford for 8 it's not a contest, but ok.

Don't torture yourself. Crawford will do that for you when he's flailing about on the field and players are running by him like he's stuck in concrete. His change of direction is ridiculously poor.

chagus

Reaction score
I hope this injury to McCoy lights a fire for Tristan Hill. This is his chance to prove to, not only everyone, but also himself that he can be worthy of being a second rd pick of the Dallas Cowboys. I'm hoping it plays out this way.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope this injury to McCoy lights a fire for Tristan Hill. This is his chance to prove to, not only everyone, but also himself that he can be worthy of being a second rd pick of the Dallas Cowboys. I'm hoping it plays out this way.

Agreed. They now really need him. And any questions over whether or not he would make the roster after an abysmal 2019 have now been answered.

Everyone's '55-man roster bracket' was just busted.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
IIRC, got his “big” payday coming off a really good season playing the 3-tech.

Never understood some of our fans resentment towards Craw. The past coaching staff were at fault constantly asking him to gain/lose weight and plugging him at different positions instead of letting him man one spot.

He’s not an All-Pro but he’s a quality pro that most teams would be glad to have. I would imagine him playing most snaps with Gallimore coming in on obvious passing downs as a penetrator.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Don't torture yourself. Crawford will do that for you when he's flailing about on the field and players are running by him like he's stuck in concrete. His change of direction is ridiculously poor.
The pups will outplay him. I have full confidence.

Maybe this is a blessing. Hill and Gallimore as the future need to be the focus. Poe is definitely gonna help.

The best thing Crawford can do is inspire those two, along with McCoy and Poe.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So basically go back to where we were in 2019...hope hill come son strong

What a loss. Well................this is the value of crawford in case those, cut him, quacks keep wondering. But he is no Gerald McCoy. What a huge blow to the interior line.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Maybe this is a blessing. Hill and Gallimore as the future need to be the focus. Poe is definitely gonna help.

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
McCoy's a better run defender and better pressure player. How much better at this point in his career I don't know.

Crawford gets a bum rap around here. He's a decent starting 3-tech, just not a great one. I don't think McCoy would have necessarily been great, just better. Would love to see one of the 300-plus-pound young players step up and seize some snaps, but they both have a lot to learn and we'll get mistakes as well as maybe flashes of good play. Crawford is a smart veteran who isn't going to make many mistakes while making a few plays here and there.

LOL......Decent. Here we go with the "decent is good enough" people and "we will be fine" nonsense.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Crawford progress stopper of Hill........:popcorn:
Nahh not sure there. Hill will get his shot. DT is a rotation thing.

Seems like he is mentoring him anyway. If he makes Hill motivated to be what he can be, it could be worth the 8m.

John813

Reaction score
Didn't he shed some weight this offseason, or was that last year?

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
Crawford has shown the ability to be a serviceable 3-technique. Keep in mind his best position is probably as a 3-4 end, which he'll get to do plenty in this scheme.

Losing McCoy hurts, but we should still be ok in the middle, especially if one of the young tackles steps up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I hope that both young guys can learn and learn quickly from the vets. McCoy looked to be coaching Hill up on the field, maybe that can continue, even if McCoy can't be playing? I just hope the early reports of Hill's commitment hold true.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
My concern with Hill and Gallimore is inexperience........knowing their keys/ assignments ( giving up yards ). This is why you have to favor Crawford IMO. Perhaps he's not McCoy but his experience/leadership is just what we need UNLESS they can find a better replacement via trade.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My concern with Hill and Gallimore is inexperience........knowing their keys/ assignments ( giving up yards ). This is why you have to favor Crawford IMO. Perhaps he's not McCoy but his experience/leadership is just what we need UNLESS they can find a better replacement via trade.

I think that's a pretty balanced assessment. He's certainly a downgrade from McCoy, but he should be assignment sound for the most part. And being lined up inside plays to his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. Inside, he can operate in more of a 'straight-line' mode, going straight up the field after the quarterback. I think he's usually been quite solid against the run while playing inside also. If you have to play Crawford somewhere, 3T is the role he's best suited for.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Very good point, but also consider who may be out there via final cuts.

I think theres guys on the street who could provide exactly what you're saying for a fraction of the cost, but Crawford is Jerry's buddy.

That cap savings would have come in handy next year with the cap reduction.