Fish: Crawford is McCoys replacement

Jipper

Reaction score
What a loss. Well................this is the value of crawford in case those, cut him, quacks keep wondering. But he is no Gerald McCoy. What a huge blow to the interior line.

yeah dude just sucks....hopefully hill and craw are motivated to take hold of the opportunity afforded them

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I was thinking he would end up as a luxury but if he is gonna start they cant ask him to take a cut.

I personally still would, but Jerry wont go that way.

If you're telling me Harrison for 1M or Crawford for 8 it's not a contest, but ok.
Crawford and Snacks don't play the same position. It would have been Snacks or Poe, not Snacks or McCoy.

Outside of goalline, you'd never have two 1Ts on the field, and Woods is fine anyway.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very good point, but also consider who may be out there via final cuts.

I think theres guys on the street who could provide exactly what you're saying for a fraction of the cost, but Crawford is Jerry's buddy.

That cap savings would have come in handy next year with the cap reduction.

I think that things were looking very tight in terms of roster numbers on the defensive line. If nothing else, this looks to have sorted that out to some degree.

1. Lawrence
  2. Griffen
  3. Aldon Smith
  4. McCoy
  5. Poe
  6. Crawford
  7. Woods
  8. Hill
  9. Gallimore
  10. Anae
  11. Armstrong
  12. Joe Jackson
  13. Jelks
  14. Ron'Dell Carter
  15. Justin Hamilton
You're probably still looking at five defensive tackles in Crawford, Poe, Woods, Hill, and Gallimore. And the list doesn't even take the Gregory situation into consideration.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Crawford and Snacks don't play the same position. It would have been Snacks or Poe, not Snacks or McCoy.

Outside of goalline, you'd never have two 1Ts on the field, and Woods is fine anyway.
Harrison was more of an example as opposed to him specifically. My fault for not being clear there.

Just kinda thought we needed that cap savings considering Prescott and the dip for next year etc.

That's what annoys me the most.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
So basically go back to where we were in 2019...hope hill come son strong

Poe needs to give us 25-30 snaps a game. That will make a difference. That way you can shuffle Woods/Hill as needed inside. The money snaps will be played by the pass rushers. Crawford will be in that mix.

CowboyMort

Reaction score
This makes the most sense.

IMO, Crawford was at his best at 3-tech. Never understood why the previous regime kept putting him at DE.

I feel the same way. To me, he always seemed to not have the "bend" or quickness to be an above average DE. As a DT he seemed quick enough, strong enough to at least have a chance to be a little above average.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Crawford can't handle it.

He's not sturdy enough to play inside.

At best you can bring him in on pass downs.
^^^^This is my take...the vatto was very serviceable when healthy but with the injury history I just can’t see depending on him lasting as a starter.
I certainly hope I’m proved wrong and the cat balls out...

fivetwos

Reaction score
Another joker that cant handle reality and resorts to "season is over" nonsense.
I figured youd like that.

I try not to notice what you post but it rarely seems to be in the slightest bit positive.

I really dont mind that if that's your opinion, but I dont need a lineup of laughing emojis when I post that I think the pups will outplay Crawford, because I think idea of Crawford outplaying a lot of dudes is just as funny.

But hey man, enjoy.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Crawford can't handle it.

He's not sturdy enough to play inside.

At best you can bring him in on pass downs.

That's true, but he is going to have two second round picks behind him (2nd round grade on Gallimore) so they will limit his reps and we shouldn't wear down like before. I think Crawford will start the first series but mostly play on passing downs, with Hill or Gallimore getting most of the reps on run downs.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I hope this injury to McCoy lights a fire for Tristan Hill. This is his chance to prove to, not only everyone, but also himself that he can be worthy of being a second rd pick of the Dallas Cowboys. I'm hoping it plays out this way.

Tomsula will coach him up.

luckyman76

Reaction score
Oh yeah, no choice now. Have to pay him what Aldon Smith, Everson Griffen, Dontari Poe, and Gerald McCoy were making in base salary COMBINED! Some savvy 'cap management' there...

If not for Dak and him sharing the same agent there is no doubt in my mind he would not have already had a pay cut or be off this team. I am pretty sure an extra $9M in cap space could have secured us a quality DT or anything else we wanted. Let this be a future lesson about bad contracts that we have carried him for all these years. Draft your team, if they are all-pro you sign them but if they are fillers you work out a cheap extension or you know draft their replacement. How this guy ever made $9M a year is beyond me. We have seen for several years now that cheap veterans can be used to augment your roster that are playing for a contract and get you comp picks. You cannot waste cap so frivolously. This is why we weren't players until this year.

Aven8

Reaction score
This makes the most sense.

IMO, Crawford was at his best at 3-tech. Never understood why the previous regime kept putting him at DE.

I heard an interview with him years ago and he said how tough it was playing inside. He would get beat up by the Center, Guard, and Tackle. He said he preferred playing End.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If not for Dak and him sharing the same agent there is no doubt in my mind he would not have already had a pay cut or be off this team. I am pretty sure an extra $9M in cap space could have secured us a quality DT or anything else we wanted. Let this be a future lesson about bad contracts that we have carried him for all these years. Draft your team, if they are all-pro you sign them but if they are fillers you work out a cheap extension or you know draft their replacement. How this guy ever made $9M a year is beyond me. We have seen for several years now that cheap veterans can be used to augment your roster that are playing for a contract and get you comp picks. You cannot waste cap so frivolously. This is why we weren't players until this year.

The team got themselves locked into the initial mistake of Crawford's deal because they quickly restructured it right after he signed it. Kick the can economics strikes again.

But they had the ability to get out of it and save money last year and did nothing. Crawford was then limited and then gone for the year, while costing about $10 million in cap space. And once again, they've willfully chosen to do nothing and pay a backup lineman $9 million this year.

And then they'll cry about paying their quarterback again next year.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

fivetwos

Reaction score

So we have Poe and Woods at 1T,

And Crawford, Hill & Gallimore at 3T?

I realize the idea of the bigger space clogging dude in the middle.....that's definitely Poe, not so sure on Woods by looking at him or seeing his play. This didnt seem to be the teams philosophy so much of late.

Please comment on possible interchangeability of the other three.

Looking at it that way, it would seem to me that Gallimore and Hill project as similar players as far as position and will not fit a 43 base as dual starters. They, best case, will rotate with one another at the 3.

True?

fivetwos

Reaction score
The team got themselves locked into the initial mistake of Crawford's deal because they quickly restructured it right after he signed it. Kick the can economics strikes again.

But they had the ability to get out of it and save money last year and did nothing. Crawford was then limited and then gone for the year, while costing about $10 million in cap space. And once again, they've willfully chosen to do nothing and pay a backup lineman $9 million this year.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
You're completely overlooking the Jerry wanting to be buddies with players factor.

Sure, its pure madness as far as cap management, but that's what he wants to do.

He thinks he can be a boss and a friend at the same time and he couldn't be more wrong.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
The Belichick philosophy of rather cutting bait a year too soon instead of a year too late is something that Jerry Jones does not agree with.

Let me know when BB calls JJ for advice on running an NFL franchise lol.

conner01

Reaction score
Honest question......what were you expecting from McCoy that Crawford can't do? I guess I'm asking is the dropoff that much????
Good question
Crawford is a better player when healthy than most he give credit for
But McCoy brings a much better pass rusher inside
Crawford can be solid there and if hill can come on we may be fine