Fish: Crawford is McCoys replacement

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I hope it does for our sake. It must have been Marinelli's fault the guy acted immaturely last season. After all, everything was the coaches' fault. Marinelli is the reason my car wouldn't start last week. He's also the reason I'm a bit overweight.

I think he also had something to do with our run stoppage being so poor the last few years.

All of those lightweight DTs that he insistently counted upon so much couldn't plug the run.

Hill was immature on his own. Many players respond to some coaches better than others.

Tristen has to learn to get along with his superiors better than he was or be sent packing!

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It's crazy coming from me, but in defense of the player, he's a 3-4 DE that's always been miscast in a 4-3 defense. Oversized and not mobile enough to play 4-3 DE (as we've clearly witnessed) and not big or stout enough for full-time work as a 4-3 DT.

The current contract situation has continued not for on-the-field productivity on the part of the player, but for strictly off-field intangible stuff.

First, the Cowboys employed a kick-the-can approach to accounting and reworked his contract quickly after he signed it. That locked them into it for several years, as the cap hit outweighed the current costs. But then, when they had the potential out, they pointed to other intangibles, like "leadership", and "team guy". Those are fine if they're supported by on-field results, but they weren't.

To me, you're now looking at being forced to keep 5 defensive tackles. Poe, Crawford, Woods, Gallimore, and Hill. That's going to force them to make tough decisions at some other roster positions. If I had to guess? I'd think that they go with just 5 wide receivers.
You are correct he has been playing out of position. But they gave him an extension knowing they were playing a 4-3. The "leadership" they spoke about is laughable. McCoy was more of a leader in 3 practices. He's just a cornball, yes man, brown noser that garrett loves because that old staff had no backbone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are correct he has been playing out of position. But they gave him an extension knowing they were playing a 4-3. The "leadership" they spoke about is laughable. McCoy was more of a leader in 3 practices. He's just a cornball, yes man, brown noser that garrett loves because that old staff had no backbone.

I'm with you on the "team guy", "leader" crap. That's great and all - if you produce and help to win games on Sunday!

Otherwise, it's a lot of fluff and noise, signifying nothing.

But it's something we've had to deal with for years.

Doug Free was the 'leader' of the offensive line, while being their weakest link.

Nick Hayden was a "team guy" that Marinelli loved, who was lousy on the field.

Jeff Heath was another "team leader" who never made a difference when it mattered on the field.

And at the end, Witten was one too. With reputation overriding production, and guys like Jarwin being taken off the field for "leadership".

Crawford is the last of that bunch remaining.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I'm with you on the "team guy", "leader" crap. That's great and all - if you produce and help to win games on Sunday!

Otherwise, it's a lot of fluff and noise, signifying nothing.

But it's something we've had to deal with for years.

Doug Free was the 'leader' of the offensive line, while being their weakest link.

Nick Hayden was a "team guy" that Marinelli loved, who was lousy on the field.

Jeff Heath was another "team leader" who never made a difference when it mattered on the field.

And at the end, Witten was one too. With reputation overriding production, and guys like Jarwin being taken off the field for "leadership".

Crawford is the last of that bunch remaining.
Yup all of them were Garrett "RKGs". what a joke

Swagger

Reaction score
A "cornball" haha I haven't heard that term in a long time fair play.

But if Crawford is that bad then why hasn't he been released?

The front office have shown that they dispose of players they deem to be worthless to the team going forward regardless of their ties with the franchise in recent times especially.

My view is that Crawford is being kept for how productive Lawrence has been when he plays next to him. Simple as that. Sure, this point is probably overplayed but the front office paid the big bucks for Lawrence and they want him to produce at his very best - Crawford has helped facilitate that in the past.

If he is below par at everything then why would the front office keep him without Garrett around to supposedly bail him out? He must be better at something than what you guys think.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

The front office have shown that they dispose of players they deem to be worthless to the team going forward regardless of their ties with the franchise in recent times especially.

My view is that Crawford is being kept for how productive Lawrence has been when he plays next to him. Simple as that. Sure, this point is probably overplayed but the front office paid the big bucks for Lawrence and they want him to produce at his very best - Crawford has helped facilitate that in the past.

If he is below par at everything then why would the front office keep him without Garrett around to supposedly bail him out? He must be better at something than what you guys think.
They kept him because they have had literally no one on the d line other than d law. Every year crawford has to be kept for depth or a player gets suspended or injured. Like i said the old staff liked brown nosers. Ty craw is here just like we kept barry church, bumdrick, and jeff heath for way longer than we should have

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Or the team can simply be wrong about something?

Its not like that has never happened before, right?

I mean if everything they did was right, there wouldn't be a 25-year Super Bowl drought, would there?

I'll ask you this specifically, did it look "right" to you that they paid him $10 million last season?

cern

Reaction score
crawford would not have ever started on any other team in the league. He starts and plays here because this front office has whiffed time and time again on the d line. coupled with injuries and suspensions, he's just a body
this is true. guys like randy gregory and david irving had a lot to do with crawford staying on the roster.

cern

Reaction score
crawford has been little more than damage control for the often suspended players on the d-line. in addition to gregory and irving, even tank had a suspension. and injuries also. maliek collins was often injured.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
crawford would not have ever started on any other team in the league. He starts and plays here because this front office has whiffed time and time again on the d line. coupled with injuries and suspensions, he's just a body
I'm sure there are at least a few other teams have had injuries and/or issues with who they acquired, so there is a chance he could have started elsewhere for at least some time because of those reasons. People like to think other teams don't have problems too, including problem with positions where they have to plug in a player that is less than ideal, but that's really not the case.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure there are at least a few other teams have had injuries and/or issues with who they acquired, so there is a chance he could have started elsewhere for at least some time because of those reasons. People like to think other teams don't have problems too, including problem with positions where they have to plug in a player that is less than ideal, but that's really not the case.

But they're not paying $9 million a year for their "plug-ins".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Omer has a personal thing against me. He tries to contradict every post i make lol. I told him to follow me. I encourage the haters

He and I have had our go-rounds, but he's alright. While we may sometimes disagree, at least I know I'm disagreeing with someone who's both passionate and informed. I can always respect that. I don;t ever think that it's "personal" but more along the lines of "passionate". At least that's the way it is for me. Sometimes, my passions get the better of me, but I continue to try to work on that.

You and I don't always agree either, right?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He and I have had our go-rounds, but he's alright. While we may sometimes disagree, at least I know I'm disagreeing with someone who's both passionate and informed. I can always respect that. I don;t ever think that it's "personal" but more along the lines of "passionate". At least that's the way it is for me. Sometimes, my passions get the better of me, but I continue to try to work on that.

You and I don't always agree either, right?
Correct but you have better arguments. And sometimes we agree sometimes we dont. Me and omer never agree. Or we will agree and he will still find something to debate. So we really dont agree lol

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don't at all disagree that Crawford is overpaid.

Even Crawford said Crawford is overpaid. He said publicly he was open to a renegotiation, which is a Water Is Wet comment but its not like there is a big controversy about his salary being too high.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even Crawford said Crawford is overpaid. He said publicly he was open to a renegotiation, which is a Water Is Wet comment but its not like there is a big controversy about his salary being too high.

You'd be surprised by just how many fans still try to somehow justify it, or chalk it up as no big deal.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Omer has a personal thing against me. He tries to contradict every post i make lol. I told him to follow me. I encourage the haters
Your comment, and my response to you, was not on the topic of Crawford's pay, so saying he is overpaid doesn't address my response to you. You should also note that I agreed with stash that Crawford is overpaid.

And, by the way, I don't think you and I are always on opposite sides of every topic. Usually when I have disagreements it's because I feel people exaggerate. In this case, I feel the notion that over Crawford's time in the NFL there is no other team in the NFL that has used a less than ideal D-Lineman like Crawford to be an exaggeration.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct but you have better arguments. And sometimes we agree sometimes we dont. Me and omer never agree. Or we will agree and he will still find something to debate. So we really dont agree lol
Not true. We generally have similar thoughts on Dak. Oops, I disagreed with you about never agreeing with you … lol