Fish: Crawford is McCoys replacement

Fredbeard

Reaction score
If we could get Corey Liuget from 2015 and before, that would be great. He hasn't done much since.
True. I was just thinking liuget might be a good fit since I think he has experience playing in a multiple front defense . It might be better for the cowboys to roll with what they have on the roster

fivetwos

Reaction score
True. I was just thinking liuget might be a good fit since I think he has experience playing in a multiple front defense . It might be better for the cowboys to roll with what they have on the roster
Theres a lot to go on between now and the beginning of the season.

We will be fine at DT somehow. We will be better than last year at any rate.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Crawford can't handle it.

He's not sturdy enough to play inside.

At best you can bring him in on pass downs.

That's the role he probably was seen as having before McCoy went out. Come in as the #2 pass rush DT on pass downs.

We're so light for pass rush DT now. Need Hill and Gallimore to give something. Poe might even be shaded toward pass rush, with Woods taking more run downs.

Pass rush DT was our weak spot on the team, and we just lost our #1 guy for the season.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You can tell how hungry we are for a dominant defensive tackle. McCoy was exciting because of his past years, but realistically he was on his last legs, and I'm not shocked to see him go out. Here we go with Crawford again. Would love to get a hoss in the middle again. We had a few good ones with Parcells, but it's been slim pickings since.

Wood

Reaction score
Crawford won't last the whole season. The Cowboys will still need to rely on Hill and the rookie rotating at the 3T.

Not sure he needs to. Crawford gets them to week 8 then Gallimore starts showing more pop then Crawford shoulders can do their thing.

Rayman70

Reaction score
if we are counting on Craw to be his replacement...OMG...if we dont have a guy like Gallimore or Poe step up, we will be soft in the middle. THAT SAID, we have a fighting chance simply because of the coaching we have now. Jim Tomsula is a beast when it comes to coaching up guys and molding his scheme to fit what they do best. We went into the draft with a glaring need at DT, and we still may have that need. Time will tell.

Praxit

Reaction score
Crawford can't handle it.

He's not sturdy enough to play inside.

At best you can bring him in on pass downs.
..yep, I agree. If he can just plug the hole and get not pancaked, might be good enough. I cant believe he's still on the team.

Carter

Reaction score
Gonna be fun seeing Crawford get 0 push through the middle as always before he goes to IR after Week 6.

They need Trysten Hill this year to step up and stay healthy and they need Gallimore to atleast play like a Maliek Collins Rookie Season.

Otherwise 3 Tech will be a huge weak link.

cern

Reaction score
I suspect will mcclay and Stephen are looking into this situation as we speak. Can't say we'll add someone, but relying on an aging player with surgeries on both hips doesn't seem like stephen's way of thinking.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I suspect will mcclay and Stephen are looking into this situation as we speak. Can't say we'll add someone, but relying on an aging player with surgeries on both hips doesn't seem like stephen's way of thinking.

That exactly my thinking as well. I've got serious doubts that Crawford physically has enough left in the tank to play DT successfully. It might boil down to giving Gallimore and/or Hill a crash course in taking over the DT responsibilities. It should prove interesting to see how this situation develops.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Interesting seeing the hope around here that Hill be part of the solution. A week ago he was never going to make the team and was that loser Marinelli’s mistake. It’s almost as if a player shouldn’t be judged after his rookie year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Interesting seeing the hope around here that Hill be part of the solution. A week ago he was never going to make the team and was that loser Marinelli’s mistake. It’s almost as if a player shouldn’t be judged after his rookie year.

That's seemingly a worthwhile consideration, now that you've mentioned it. Tristen Hill didn't seem to respond well to Rod Marinelli's tutoring, despite the fact that Marinelli insisted upon pounding the table for Hill's acquisition in the draft. It should prove interesting to see if Hill responds better to the coaching he'll get with this new defensive staff. So far, he seems to be responding quite well in camp. Let's see if that trend continues. ;)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gonna be fun seeing Crawford get 0 push through the middle as always before he goes to IR after Week 6.

They need Trysten Hill this year to step up and stay healthy and they need Gallimore to atleast play like a Maliek Collins Rookie Season.

Otherwise 3 Tech will be a huge weak link.

They need to get SOMETHING from last year's top (2nd round) pick and this year's 3rd round pick. That's the bottom line.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
That's seemingly a worthwhile consideration, now that you've mentioned it. Tristen Hill didn't seem to respond well to Rod Marinelli's tutoring, despite the fact that Marinelli insisted upon pounding the table for Hill's acquisition in the draft. It should prove interesting to see if Hill responds better to the coaching he'll get with this new defensive staff. So far, he seems to be responding quite well in camp. Let's see if that trend continues. ;)
I hope it does for our sake. It must have been Marinelli's fault the guy acted immaturely last season. After all, everything was the coaches' fault. Marinelli is the reason my car wouldn't start last week. He's also the reason I'm a bit overweight.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
McCoy's a better run defender and better pressure player. How much better at this point in his career I don't know.

Crawford gets a bum rap around here. He's a decent starting 3-tech, just not a great one. I don't think McCoy would have necessarily been great, just better. Would love to see one of the 300-plus-pound young players step up and seize some snaps, but they both have a lot to learn and we'll get mistakes as well as maybe flashes of good play. Crawford is a smart veteran who isn't going to make many mistakes while making a few plays here and there.
crawford would not have ever started on any other team in the league. He starts and plays here because this front office has whiffed time and time again on the d line. coupled with injuries and suspensions, he's just a body

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
crawford would not have ever started on any other team in the league. He starts and plays here because this front office has whiffed time and time again on the d line. coupled with injuries and suspensions, he's just a body

It's crazy coming from me, but in defense of the player, he's a 3-4 DE that's always been miscast in a 4-3 defense. Oversized and not mobile enough to play 4-3 DE (as we've clearly witnessed) and not big or stout enough for full-time work as a 4-3 DT.

The current contract situation has continued not for on-the-field productivity on the part of the player, but for strictly off-field intangible stuff.

First, the Cowboys employed a kick-the-can approach to accounting and reworked his contract quickly after he signed it. That locked them into it for several years, as the cap hit outweighed the current costs. But then, when they had the potential out, they pointed to other intangibles, like "leadership", and "team guy". Those are fine if they're supported by on-field results, but they weren't.

To me, you're now looking at being forced to keep 5 defensive tackles. Poe, Crawford, Woods, Gallimore, and Hill. That's going to force them to make tough decisions at some other roster positions. If I had to guess? I'd think that they go with just 5 wide receivers.