Twitter: Fish: Dak wants $45m in 5th year

Whyjerry

Reaction score
This.

In five years, $45,000,000.00 will be the average salary for starting QBs.

Then let him resign at that rate in 4 years. Ridiculous to give it now. BTW if there is any chance the league is impacted by the virus and games are canceled, contracts are going to be impacted. Big time impacted.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The difference there is Zeke actually is a top tier player in the league at his position. Dak isn't. I like Dak, but he is who he is.

I could care less about a player in the league wanting his money, I'm just saying the Jones boys are doing a good job creating this narrative that Dak and his agent are trying to lampoon this team, as well as using the media on their behalf during this negotiation.

This, The beast is def. top 2 at worse and number one for me. Sure the Barkley fans will say there man is BUT to each there on.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The difference there is Zeke actually is a top tier player in the league at his position. Dak isn't. I like Dak, but he is who he is.

I could care less about a player in the league wanting his money, I'm just saying the Jones boys are doing a good job creating this narrative that Dak and his agent are trying to lampoon this team, as well as using the media on their behalf during this negotiation.

Finally,:hammer: the ClappingCarrot is starting to make sense for the Pappy....WOOF WOOF!!!!

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just don't get how anyone can sit here and say oh well the salary cap is going up and just pay Dak. You can sit there and negotiate for something that you forsee that hasn't happened. Dak wants out Dallas and its probably because he feels so disrespected. He needs to be Kapernicked for being so freaking greedy.

Greed is good it will probably be one of the biggest reasons we will find the cure for the virus sooner than later.
Now Greed and Ineptness are bad so Jerry says NO I guess and goes QB shopping.
Good for Jerry...and us...:clap:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I really don't get why were insisting on the the 5th year.

I mean if Dak is bad for 2 years you can cut him sooner and with only 2 years left on his contract.

If he's great in those 4 years it means we've most likely won a SB and then nobody is gonna mind paying him.

Front load the guaranteed money and lets go. Dak isn't getting the money he wants anywhere out there in FA.
The 5th year is so they can divide the contract amount by the number of years to get a smaller per year charge for the figuring who gets paid what.

It's funny math.

Our Jerrah actually invented this when they sign Deion Sanders back in 1993. All the other teams then did the same.

You did not know that?

Ok..go to the blackboard and right 100 times..

JERRAH..YOU TRUELY WALK ON WATER..I LOVE YOU.

100 times...

Go.

fivetwos

Reaction score
In the final year of a deal theres no accelerated cap mess.

Its a simple dollar for dollar savings of the salary amount against the cap.

Unless the entire deal is guaranteed. Many deals include a huge bump in the last year that the player will never see.

Jerry's problem is he thinks he is set at QB for the next 12 years and refuses to get ahead of ANY situation. He wants to be eternal friends with the player.

Look at Seattle with a perfectly good QB, who has already won btw....they would prefer to start over with a QB on a rookie deal, but they cant get out of Wilson's deal all that easily.

Prescott wants a short deal? Jerry should be all over that.

Either Prescott wins, the cap continues to climb and he is worth the 45M, or he doesnt and they need to cut bait anyway.

I don't get it. I don't.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
The fact that some of yall think Dak deserves to be paid less than Ryan Tannehill, tells me yall just dont know football. Or maybe the hate is just deeper then football with yall idk...

Fontaine

Reaction score
I’m a huge Dak fan but this is just gross. Turning down 35 million and insisting on insane contract demands is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Have a look at the real world Dak, see how it looks right now, then tell me how getting 35 million a year to throw a ball sounds like.

All this is going to do is cripple the team then we’re going no where for another 5 years.

JBS

Reaction score
I’m a huge Dak fan but this is just gross. Turning down 35 million and insisting on insane contract demands is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Have a look at the real world Dak, see how it looks right now, then tell me how getting 35 million a year to throw a ball sounds like.

All this is going to do is cripple the team then we’re going no where for another 5 years.

Dak did not turn down 35m a year.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score

How is 2mil more a year going to "cripple the team"?

Valkyr

Reaction score
It will be a holiday on CowboysZone the day Jones and Prescott agree on a new contract.

A holiday of horror.
I'm just here to watch the world burn

giphy.gif

plasticman

Reaction score
So give it to him. Four years from now is a long time in a football career. If he was good enough to win a few Super Bowls and people are talking Hall of Fame then it will have already been renegotiated. If he performed poorly then get rid of him. At least the guaranteed money was spread over five instead of four.

You can stagger the salaries but I believe you have to distribute guaranteed money evenly, don't you?. If he is cut early then the remaining guaranteed money is dead money, am I right? I'm not a capologist.

So let's say he is cut prior to the fifth year of a contract with 112 million guaranteed. The dead money would be 22.2 million, worse case scenario. Sounds like as lot but putting into perspective, a veteran QB that plays every game during the length of his contract and and earns two Pro Bowl appearances could have a salary of 22,2 million added to the amount that Dak was paid in the past four seasons and nobody would bat an eye.

In addition to that, the 2024 salary cap will have probably mushroomed to the point were the cap hit was practically insignificant.

The real point is the Cowboys must win two Super Bowls in the next four seasons for Jerry's legacy to be legitimate. You got a guy that has been here four seasons, still very young, proven durability, good leadership traits, in sync with his receivers, the team respects him, Pro Bowl level talent.

Statistically speaking, Jerry's got four years. This is it. Dak needs to be here, now. Dalton is one and done in the playoffs if the Cowboys are lucky enough to make it. His recent productivity indicates that the Cowboys take several steps backward.

Jerry needs to make this happen, Okay we lose out on a veteran fifth WR or 3RD TE or backup to the backup RT. We can't afford an overpaid safety, so what? Make this happen and let's get on with it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Except $45 won't be ridiculous for a franchise QB in 5 years.

$45MM base salary won't be ridiculous?

The highest "base salary" in the league is only $24MM (not including Dak's tag amount). That's it. So no, I don't think any QB will be making $45MM in base salary (or some combination of base salary and a roster bonus) in 5 years. The only way someone is getting $45MM in cash in their hand in 2024 would be if they signed a brand new deal and got a big signing bonus.

Fontaine

Reaction score
How is 2mil more a year going to "cripple the team"?

The 45 million a year he wants now? Yeah, that might do it don’t ya think?

Tell me how teams who’ve made their QBs the highest paid in the league have done?

I’ll sit here and wait.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wentz and Goff came into the league exactly when Dak did, and their contracts will end 4 years into Dak's new contract. Dak isn't in the same position because there was no fifth-year option on his rookie contract, which is because of the way the league and draft are structured, not anything to do with him. W's and G's contracts will end in 4 years: same overall period of team control through rookie and follow-on contract (if Dak signs a 4-year deal). Dak is asking to be put on the level and schedule of those two guys.

I do not know what the team offered him in terms of an extension last year. If it was a 5-year extension (putting him on schedule with Wentz and Goff) for equivalent money, then yeah, there's an argument that he should have been willing to sign then to avoid putting the team in a more challenging cap situation. If it wasn't, then that argument isn't there.

You are now deflecting.

The structure has been set by his peers. Wentz and Dak signed 4 year EXTENSIONS putting them under control for 6 years. Wilson signed a 4 year EXTENSION putting him under team control for 5 years.

Dak wants only 4 years so he can cash in sooner after he signs this new deal. He's asking for something that his peers didn't get.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am grasping everything. You’re making a broad assumption about what I do and don’t understand about Dak’s motivation based on one comment I made.

Obviously it’s a negotiating tactic. That’s all well and good.

I’m simply pointing out that people are freaking out about a base salary that he is asking for that will be at the end of his contract and won’t be guaranteed. Even if he did sign that deal, he probably gets extended, or cut prior to that season anyway and would never see the 45 mil for the season. Unless his play warranted it and the cowboys wanted to pay it.

I wasn’t discussing Dak’s negotiating motivation for asking for that 45. I was talking about the future cap
Implications of a non guaranteed high base salary 5 years from now.

All of this is probably moot anyway because this is based off one report by Fisher and likely won’t be the final number anyway.

Dak has no incentive to sign an extension before that 5th year kicks in. Because in that fifth year, he's going to bank $45MM in cash AND THEN hit FA and sign another big deal with a big signing bonus (if he plays well). And Dallas knows this. So if Dallas were to agree to this, they'd likely be looking at handing him like $110MM in cash over a 13-14 month period ($45MM base salary in 2024 and then at least a $65MM signing bonus if they extend him in 2025).

And the cap hit in 2024 wouldn't be $45MM. It would be likely be higher to take into account the signing bonus he wants now and any restructure the Cowboys would do over the contract.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
The 45 million a year he wants now? Yeah, that might do it don’t ya think?

Tell me how teams who’ve made their QBs the highest paid in the league have done?

I’ll sit here and wait.
You really have to start reading. He wants 45mil in the 5th year ONLY. Which equals to +2mil a year.