Twitter: Fish is adamant Dallas wants to trade for Jamal Adams

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is on the NFL's television committee. He would know as well as anyone how the new TV negotiations are going, which would unlock an additional .5% increase to players on top of the 1.5% increase agreed to in the CBA. Jerry and co. have been aggressive the last couple years in signing "their guys" to market setting deals. Say what you will about his football acumen, but he's an excellent businessman, so I take his recent aggression as a sign that he knows it's coming, so my forecasts take that into consideration.

I'll disagree with that "recent aggression" interpretation. You're talking about a team that lost and haven't replaced their top corner, top pass rusher, and #3 receiver.

Not aggressive.

starfan1

Reaction score
Trade zeke for a second and then trade that second along with a 4th for Adams. That's all I would give up for him considering he needs to be paid next year

who would do that? Im not a huge Zeke fan but no one besides the cowboys are dumb enough to give Zeke the money he desires and get a second as well lol. That is the definition of pipe dream IMO

ksg811

Reaction score
I'll disagree with that "recent aggression" interpretation. You're talking about a team that lost and haven't replaced their top corner, top pass rusher, and #3 receiver.

Not aggressive.

Frederick, Martin, Zeke, Cooper, and upcoming Dak say otherwise. I would say even the Adlon Smith deal is aggressive. $4 million dollars, even incentive laden isn't chump change for a guy who hasn't played in 5 years.

Jones and Cobb simply weren't worth what they were paid. Quinn's deal is certainly affordable based on the structure of the deal but I have no issues not bringing back Jones and Cobb at their deals. Aggressive doesn't mean just sign everyone, but they're not afraid of spending on guys they deem worthy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Frederick, Martin, Zeke, Cooper, and upcoming Dak say otherwise. I would say even the Adlon Smith deal is aggressive. $4 million dollars, even incentive laden isn't chump change for a guy who hasn't played in 5 years.

Then your standards for 'aggressive' are quite low.

Jones and Cobb simply weren't worth what they were paid. Quinn's deal is certainly affordable based on the structure of the deal but I have no issues not bringing back Jones and Cobb at their deals. Aggressive doesn't mean just sign everyone, but they're not afraid of spending on guys they deem worthy.

'Aggressive' means not losing players at key positions without replacing them. It means gaining better players, not losing them.

Proof

Reaction score

'Aggressive' means not losing players at key positions without replacing them. It means gaining better players, not losing them.

semantics. Signing zeke, lael, tank and lael last season and trading for Quinn and Bennett along with entering the Adams sweepstakes was aggressive. You’re talking degrees of at this point. No they didn’t go Rams re:tarded, but definitely aggressive.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
semantics. Signing zeke, lael, tank and lael last season and trading for Quinn and Bennett along with entering the Adams sweepstakes was aggressive. You’re talking degrees of at this point. No they didn’t go Rams re:tarded, but definitely aggressive.

Apparently, some people want to consider anything they do as 'aggressive'. I don't. Like I said, when you lose better players than you gain while sitting on cap space?

Not aggressive.

JBS

Reaction score
Apparently, some people want to consider anything they do as 'aggressive'. I don't. Like I said, when you lose better players than you gain while sitting on cap space?

Not aggressive.

When this team hasn't signed a free agent in a decade..a 1/4m deal looks aggressive lol

Aggressive is not the right word to use at all. However, they have been more willing this year to sign free agents

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When this team hasn't signed a free agent in a decade..a 1/4m deal looks aggressive lol

Aggressive is not the right word to use at all. However, they have been more willing this year to sign free agents

If I put them on two lists - free agents signed and free agents lost - it still looks like they've lost more than they've gained. That hardly says 'aggressive' to me.

JBS

Reaction score
If I put them on two lists - free agents signed and free agents lost - it still looks like they've lost more than they've gained. That hardly says 'aggressive' to me.

It's absolutely not aggressive at all. I'm in strong agreement with you.

Proof

Reaction score

Not aggressive.

“anything they do” no. Specific moves in a particular window. You don’t view it that way which is cool, it’s just wrong. Exercising prudence on players you don’t feel are worth the contracts they receive elsewhere is irrelevant.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“anything they do” no. Specific moves in a particular window. You don’t view it that way which is cool, it’s just wrong.

According to you? Somehow, I'll live with you thinking I'm wrong.

Exercising prudence on players you don’t feel are worth the contracts they receive elsewhere is irrelevant.

More stupidity.
:facepalm:

ksg811

Reaction score

They traded for Quinn in the first place. Traded a 1st and big contract for Cooper and have been willing to do the same for Thomas (not a first but 2nd is still a high pick) and Adams. They signed La'el before he proved himself and are reaping the benefits. They have been aggressive, we just see it at different degrees.

And defining aggression based purely on gain/loss at position groups is asinine Adams makes you a better defense $4m+ AAV that can be used elsewhere. Adams and average corners is a better secondary than Jones and average safeties, and that proved itself last year. The Jets had Adams and average (maybe even below) and finished 12th in comp% and 13th in explosive play rate. Dallas on the other hand were 25th and 21st respectively. Personnel wise, Adams is more impactful than Jones, and also comes with cap savings that can be used elsewhere.

I will agree with you that they've been sitting on too much cap space, but they've been more willing in recent years to use that space on veterans via low draft trades than outright free agency. More aggressive is more accurate than just "aggressive" in a vacuum. My point remains, though. They have the space to be aggressive they just have to want to, and they slowly have been, even if we disagree on it.

Proof

Reaction score
According to you? Somehow, I'll live with you thinking I'm wrong.

More stupidity.
:facepalm:

yup according to me. And you can relax with the stupidity ish. You have a narrow criteria you’re clinging to to make your case and it’s laughable. Now come along and start flexing your bolding and italicizing chops, dunce.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yup according to me.

Which means nothing. Absolutely nothing.

And you can relax with the stupidity ish.

I give as I get. Practice what you preach.

You have a narrow criteria you’re clinging to to make your case and it’s laughable. Now come along and start flexing your bolding and italicizing chops, dunce.

No more so than your pathetically low standards.

luckyman76

Reaction score
I think rollover is a pretty good add as well, if done conservatively. But as for the "jump in cap", I wouldn't plan my future on that.

The cap is going to go down because of lost revenue. They are actively discussing those implications now even though it may not last long. The idea that we can sign everybody and not address that we have paid the entire offense and have only paid TWO people on D is incredible. We still have to pay an entire DL and secondary in the future after we pay LVE. I like Adams but I am not giving up those picks to have the pleasure of paying a box SS $15M. I would rather put that money on another edge rusher and use ALL of our high picks the next 3 years trying to rebuild this D. We are not ONE player short of a SB. Poe and McCoy and HaHa and Aldon and Randy and whoever else we sign are stop gaps. You don't build a D that way.

conner01

Reaction score
You need to depart from the old-school mindset! we're not necessarily players away from being great, it's more like we're good coaching away from being great.
Good coaching is great
Was Jimmy Johnson a good coach?
What did he do after he left here
Is bellicheck a good coach?
What did he do in Cleveland
Good coaching Is important
Talent is more important
And if all you need is coaching why sign any free agents

conner01

Reaction score
We had the number one offense last year— and our biggest team-wide limitation— the coaching staff— has been addressed. Who knows how many games MM wins last year with the same roster as JG. Is this roster an 8-8 roster or a 13-3 roster with better coaching? Anyone’s guess. I don’t think we are as bad as most people think— I think we underachieved and tuned out a tired coaching staff that refused to adapt and adjust.

Sure— we have a lot of turnover this offseason— BUT— We addressed a serious deficiency along the middle of the DL, and we added a solid vet S to the backend already. We can add some talent via the draft obviously.

My point is that this team is not light years away from contending. Adding a leader like Adams to this D should not be underestimated. Look at SF’s recent turnaround... teams go from being sub .500 to SB contenders in the age of parity.

Unlikely? Sure. Impossible? No. Especially if the coaching staff galvanizes the team to be more than the sum of their individual parts. Adams is a leader that can be the heart and soul of your defense.
I agree
I think we make the playoffs last year with better coaching
And not just about the technical coaching but the mentality a coach can bring
I just don’t think trading premium draft picks for guys you then have to give elite player contracts too is the answer
I think I’d just try a totally new approach at safety
I’d draft a safety

johneric8

Reaction score
Good coaching is great
Was Jimmy Johnson a good coach?
What did he do after he left here
Is bellicheck a good coach?
What did he do in Cleveland
Good coaching Is important
Talent is more important
And if all you need is coaching why sign any free agents

The point I think you missed is that the Cowboys do have a hell of a lot of talent, more than enough to win.. Most would argue that we were indeed good coaching away last year from doing major damage.