Fish - Is Cowboys Jaylon Smith A 'Home Run'? Or a 'Foul Ball'?

basel90

Reaction score
Jerry being the optimist . The discussion should be about the dismal record and state of the cowboys , the lack of defensive talent , overpaid players like zeke .
The insanity continues .

John813

Reaction score
Well, post draft some didn't get the point of taking a guy who may of never suited up or wondered how well he would actually play that high. Especially considering we were trying to do one more run with Romo
2017 he plays, but something looks off with his movement
2018 he looked like he could be good, and so did LVE fwiw.

They extend him early and he reverts very close to his 2017 self. Taking bad reads and avoiding blockers like if they had COVID.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
He was a single, maybe a double............. until they paid him a crap ton of money.......... and Smith fell down running to first base.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
He's not playing well. He's not playing up to his contract. If he was a 7th round pick making around the minimum I don't think expectations would be that high but I don't think he would be a full time starter either. But with his draft status and his contract status you basically have to play him and it's painful to watch sometimes.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Yea, we wasted a 2nd round pick when it could have been spent on a player who could have provided immediate help and better play at the LB position.
Who would have provided immediate help at LB with that pick? And please don't say Myles Jack because he was barely able to get on the field for Jax that season.

foofighters

Reaction score
Folks that think this is about him swiping aren’t watching the game.

This is purely a football matter.

Jaylon is not a good football player. End of story.
The swiping drives me nuts. He swipes when he makes a tackle where the guy gets 4 yards...but it was 3rd and 3. He's just not football smart. He's really just dumb. Plus now, you have QB's who are out-running him.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He's not playing well. He's not playing up to his contract. If he was a 7th round pick making around the minimum I don't think expectations would be that high but I don't think he would be a full time starter either. But with his draft status and his contract status you basically have to play him and it's painful to watch sometimes.

If he was a 7th round pick performing the way he has he wouldn’t be on the team.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I didn't like using a 2nd round pick on him. Wouldn't recommend that for a guy you know won't play year 1 due to catastrophic injury. If you just want a LB to make tackles after 6 yard gains they can be had much cheaper. LB is a group i'd draft yearly and take flyers on big strong run stoppers to develop.

Cmac

Reaction score
….at least there's company. No speed across the board.
OIP.vP6Oj53KijK5k5IB62H9twHaD4

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Backwards K.

Guy lacks any football instincts and is either as delusional as the owner, or totally lacks self awareness. When I hear him talk about “leaders like me”, I cringe. You can’t lead when your actions are completely inept. He think he self appointed himself a leader. Anyway, the quicker he’s gone the better

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Ummm.....wasn’t it two seasons ago that he made the pro bowl and fans were joyfully claiming we have the best LB duo with LVE and him? He obviously played well that year to get elected to the pro bowl by his peers and coaches. So why does he sick now? LVE is being praised now for his play the past few games, but earlier in the season word was he sucked too. They have both played well and crappy at times.

With LVE, Id say it took him time to adjust both to playing MLB this year and to the new scheme, along with the fact that out DTs were horrendous early on.

With Jaylon, he has either been slower to adapt to the system or he needs the DL to keep him clean or he hasn’t got the scheme down pat yet. While I’m willing to give both another year in this system to see what they can do, I also want us to draft another LB this spring, not a project, but a guy who can compete.