Fish - Is Cowboys Jaylon Smith A 'Home Run'? Or a 'Foul Ball'?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Ummm.....wasn’t it two seasons ago that he made the pro bowl and fans were joyfully claiming we have the best LB duo with LVE and him? He obviously played well that year to get elected to the pro bowl by his peers and coaches. So why does he sick now? LVE is being praised now for his play the past few games, but earlier in the season word was he sucked too. They have both played well and crappy at times.

With LVE, Id say it took him time to adjust both to playing MLB this year and to the new scheme, along with the fact that out DTs were horrendous early on.

With Jaylon, he has either been slower to adapt to the system or he needs the DL to keep him clean or he hasn’t got the scheme down pat yet. While I’m willing to give both another year in this system to see what they can do, I also want us to draft another LB this spring, not a project, but a guy who can compete.

Or some of both. Jaylon has made mental mistakes but the entire defense took a huge hit with LVE out. Its designed to have those two cover the entire field and Jaylon can't do that alone, even if the casual fan thinks he can.

I posted this the other day, in the 7 games LVE has played the defense allowed 28 points per game. In the 5 games he was out they allowed 40 per game.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Pay drives the narrative. Can’t wait until 88 gets his turn.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Smith's career has been a legit parabolic trajectory, like a cannonball being shot up and coming back down.

2016: Didn't play
2017: Mediocre
2018: Legit top 10 NFL linebacker
2019: Mediocre
2020: Benched

If you want to judge his rookie contract from 2016-2019, I think he was a decent pick, but people hate him because his two big-money years have been "mediocre" and "benched". If he was a UDFA, dude would have been cut this season no question.

nobody

Reaction score
It was the Patriots, several national sportswriters said they were preparing to trade up in the 2nd to take him in the middle of the round.

Honestly, I think he might have done better as a Patriot because they have competent defensive coaches and could -make- him focus on football.

blueblood70

Reaction score
hes a single with time to move around the bases and score someday, you never know

why is it always hit or miss? hes not quite as bad as fans want to keep harping on but admittedly jerry paid bit to much too soon..

Kaiser

Reaction score
Honestly, I think he might have done better as a Patriot because they have competent defensive coaches and could -make- him focus on football.

He would also have simpler assignments. I really think one of biggest problems this year is they want him to cover half the field with his speed, but with LVE out he has to cover all it and try to make the defensive adjustments at the same time. He would definitely be better with Belichick making the calls (just like every other player in the NFL)

blueblood70

Reaction score
fish is correct find way to make the defense better in front behind and to the side of him and keep him another year because you cant afford in a salary cap that will be smaller then normal

contracts signed inks dry and cutting him for 2021 doesnt make sense..

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If he was leading the team in tackles and was 7th in the NFL they could cut him?

Genius.

:lmao:

The best way to prove you’re devoid of understanding football is to point at tackle totals to prove a defensive player’s supposed ability.

Thanks for proving what everyone already knows about you.

“Hey guys, says here Jameis Winston threw for the most yards last year.....why isn’t he considered the best QB in the league?!?!?”

Kaiser

Reaction score
:lmao:

The best way to prove you’re devoid of understanding football is to point at tackle totals to prove a defensive player’s supposed ability.

Thanks for proving what everyone already knows about.

The best way to prove you are a moron is to brag about attending a cow college and then use phrases like "what everyone already knows about"

And then have to edit the post.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The best way to prove you are a moron is to brag about attending a cow college and then use phrases like "what everyone already knows about"

And then have to edit the post.

Cow college? Is that where you met the bed pan flipper?

Kaiser

Reaction score
“Hey guys, says here Jameis Winston threw for the most yards last year.....why isn’t he considered the best QB in the league?!?!?”

The thing that makes that stupid - even for you - is that is the exact argument I used about why passing yardage wasn't the right metric when you were trashing Dak Prescott.

We all remember "Dak sucks" and "Dak spazzes out in the pocket" even if you want to pretend you never said it.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The thing that makes that stupid - even for you - is that is the exact argument I used about why passing yardage wasn't the right metric when you were trashing Dak Prescott.

We all remember "Dak sucks" and "Dak spazzes out in the pocket" even if you want to pretend you never said it.

Lol, oh look, kaiser lying. No way...