Fish - Is Cowboys Jaylon Smith A 'Home Run'? Or a 'Foul Ball'?

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
More help than Jaylon ...... and that JAGs 2016 defense was loaded. He did well to get any playing time.
Jack started 10 games and played all 16 for a "loaded" defense that was ranked 25th in points allowed and the team finished 3-13. the 2017 Jax team was the one that would be considered "loaded" and made the AFCCG.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That post was complete nonsense.
Zero NFL teams cut Jaylon Smith.
Would they have paid him the contract he got?
Far more debatable but no one was cutting Jaylon Smith.

How about taking about what was said rather than having to create Strawman arguments about " cutting Jaylon Smith"?

We deal with such idiotic posts on here that we can never get to the truth of anything.

Good form, resort to namecalling when someone has a differing viewpoint. And then complain about 'other people's idiotic posts'.

:facepalm:

Sean Lee should have been gone. That's who the team proved overly loyal too.
And his locked in spot at LB3 robbed the team of any depth because he can only play 5 games a season.

We're talking about Jaylon Smith in this thread. Don't let your feelings confuse you.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, he played in every game that year and Jaylon didn't. What makes you think that he would have helped this team down the stretch and in the GB playoff game? given his lack of productivity in those 16 games, and the last 5 in particular, I would argue that he likely wouldn't have even been on the field much against GB, let alone that final drive.

Any stats are better than none. Jack wins any contest by simply being available.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jack started 10 games and played all 16 for a "loaded" defense that was ranked 25th in points allowed and the team finished 3-13. the 2017 Jax team was the one that would be considered "loaded" and made the AFCCG.

They had a ton of young talent in 2016 that matured in 2017. Very competitive roster. They didn't build that defense in one off season. In any case, the arguments your trying to make is that Jack would have made as little difference as a guy who didn't even play. That literally makes no sense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They had a ton of young talent in 2016 that matured in 2017. Very competitive roster. They didn't build that defense in one off season. In any case, the arguments your trying to make is that Jack would have made as little difference as a guy who didn't even play. That literally makes no sense.

It's a clear example of when fandom overrides rational thought.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Jaylon is garbage. If we do not come to term with this it just means we will keep on playing like garbage.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Explain to me what Jack would have done to put us over the top in 2016.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
How about taking about what was said rather than having to create Strawman arguments about " cutting Jaylon Smith"?

Good form, resort to namecalling when someone has a differing viewpoint. And then complain about 'other people's idiotic posts'.

:facepalm:

We're talking about Jaylon Smith in this thread. Don't let your feelings confuse you.
my man do you even read?

If he we just a mid round pick from some "no name" school....he would have been cut

conner01

Reaction score
Question:

If Dallas had waited and got Jaylon in the fourth, would people be so likely to look down on him?
It’s really a great question
Fans judge players by their draft position and salary way more than they should
It is relevant but it’s not the end all
But with jaylon it’s more about cost vs production
He’s not the bust some think
But he’s not a top 3 LB either

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
I don't think so. It's not his draft position (the 2016 draft had so many hits how could you complain) or contract. Its the fact he's a terrible football player. He could be an UFA getting minimum wage, I'd still want him off the field.
He not a terrible player
He’s also not a top 3 LB

starfan1

Reaction score
It’s really a great question

Fans judge players by their draft position and salary way more than they should
It is relevant but it’s not the end all

1. Ramsey
2.Henry
3.Simmons
4. Dak and Jaylon
Home run!! but to be truthful id still find something to complain about with him. The thing you mention fans take into consideration or at least this one does but performance is important.

conner01

Reaction score
1. Ramsey
2.Henry
3.Simmons
4. Dak and Jaylon
Home run!! but to be truthful id still find something to complain about with him. The thing you mention fans take into consideration or at least this one does but performance is important.
To me it’s about being paid like elite player and he’s not. He’s a good player but he’s not an elite player and won’t ever be. My beef is more with Jerry for seeing something that not and paying for what he thought he seen, than where he was drafted

Kaiser

Reaction score
To me it’s about being paid like elite player and he’s not. He’s a good player but he’s not an elite player and won’t ever be. My beef is more with Jerry for seeing something that not and paying for what he thought he seen, than where he was drafted

Its a double edged sword. Dallas will overpay off a breakout season like they did with Crawford or Jaylon, but the flip side is the players know they will get a fair shake and Dallas rarely loses a guy to FA unless its Byron Jones or DeMarco Murray being wildly overpaid. And those are cases where Dallas made an offer but turned down matching a crazy offer.

IMO its really about the strategy and not the specific player.

starfan1

Reaction score
Its a double edged sword. Dallas will overpay off a breakout season like they did with Crawford or Jaylon, but the flip side is the players know they will get a fair shake and Dallas rarely loses a guy to FA unless its Byron Jones or DeMarco Murray being wildly overpaid. And those are cases where Dallas made an offer but turned down matching a crazy offer.

Dware Hurt and he probably falls into the category you mentioned. Dallas couldn't match Denver. Im glad he got his ring though

Kaiser

Reaction score
Dware Hurt and he probably falls into the category you mentioned. Dallas couldn't match Denver. Im glad he got his ring though

Totally agree. I loved DWare, when my oldest son was born I had my sisters going that I had named his first and middle names DeMarcus and Ware.

But there was no way the team should have kept him at his current salary and Denver overpaid when they signed him.

conner01

Reaction score

Jerry does some too soon but some work out really well like Tyron smith
It’s a risky yet rewarding gamble
If you are right you save big money
If you are wrong it costs you
I think sometimes it’s as much about Jerry liking the player as a real business decision

conner01

Reaction score
Totally agree. I loved DWare, when my oldest son was born I had my sisters going that I had named his first and middle names DeMarcus and Ware.

But there was no way the team should have kept him at his current salary and Denver overpaid when they signed him.
One of my all time favorites
But it was the right move to let him walk at the time
But the failure to be prepared at a position meant tagging spencer
You have to let some players walk, but you have to prepare for that day with the draft

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've said it here many times and I will repeat myself. Jaylon should be an outside pass rusher like Dwight Freeney, Robert Quinn or Von Miller.

I said the same thing back in the Bruce Carter days, let the fast, athletic guys who don't read and react well do what they do best.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
my man do you even read?

If he we just a mid round pick from some "no name" school....he would have been cut

Maybe you should have taken that up with the guy that said that, rather than me?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Jerry does some too soon but some work out really well like Tyron smith
It’s a risky yet rewarding gamble
If you are right you save big money
If you are wrong it costs you
I think sometimes it’s as much about Jerry liking the player as a real business decision

I think you can point to guys like Amari Cooper, Lael Collins and Zack Martin also. Cooper took slightly less money to stay in Dallas because he knew he would be taken care of here. Collins and Martins resigned early instead of going to FA and the deal Collins took was considered team friendly.