Fish - Is Cowboys Jaylon Smith A 'Home Run'? Or a 'Foul Ball'?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Who would have provided immediate help at LB with that pick? And please don't say Myles Jack because he was barely able to get on the field for Jax that season.

take a look at the 2nd round of that draft and take a gander at the players who went after the gimp. Why would you burn a 2nd round pick to pick a guy who you know won’t be there to help your team. Also, what other team picks a guy with that injury with a 3nd round pick and then proceeds to hand him a contract extension for below average play?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Who would have provided immediate help at LB with that pick? And please don't say Myles Jack because he was barely able to get on the field for Jax that season.

Jack played in all 16 games and started 10 his rookie season, but I see what you mean by “barely.”

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Jaylon is exactly what he is supposed to be. He's a solid single with a guy on 1st making it to 3rd.
A reliable but limited interior LB with some play-making skill but also some obvious, exploitable weaknesses if the defense leaves him hung out to dry. .
He's our most reliable LB by quite a long shot.
He's the most active tackler (yes often after 5 yards).
He's big, strong and a good straight-line speed guy.
He can man cover TEs fairly well.
He is not good in zone and he lacks lateral movement skills.
So do most ILB that's why they play LB in the first place.

but, but he's overpaid.
No. he isn't. He has the 8th highest cap hit at ILB. He's HALF of what Myles Jack cost and well below Anthony Hitchens. --8th highest is too high!! waawawwawa. No, it isn't because guys on rookie deals are going to be paid more very soon.
What about the future???
His cap hit next year is set to be under 10M. but it can easily be flipped to be less than 5M.
Well then what? Then he can be released with 0 further guarantees.
Jaylon took a very team friendly deal because he wasn't staring at massive money elsewhere.
He leveraged his branding to replace a relatively light NFL contract in ACTUAL money.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jack played in all 16 games and started 10 of them that first year.

Don't let your fandom override your brain.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Jack played in all 16 games and started 10 of them that first year.

Don't let your fandom override your brain.
I'm aware. I'm also aware that he made 24 tackles and only played in more than 40% of the defensive snaps in those 16 games. He wouldn't have provided the help everybody thinks he would have in 2016.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Jack played in all 16 games and started 10 his rookie season, but I see what you mean by “barely.”
24 tackles and more than 40% of the snaps in only 2 games. That qualifies as barely seeing the field in my book. Also managed 3 tackles in his last 5 games that season.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm aware. I'm also aware that he made 24 tackles and only played in more than 40% of the defensive snaps in those 16 games. He wouldn't have provided the help everybody thinks he would have in 2016.

More help than Jaylon ...... and that JAGs 2016 defense was loaded. He did well to get any playing time.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
no matter who picked him if it was before the 5th round it would have been a bad pick.
I think so many people fail to grasp that he is simply a bad football player. No matter WHERE he was drafted or WHAT he cost. BECAUSE of what he costs...BECAUSE of his story....BECAUSE of his draft status....he remains on the team. If he we just a mid round pick from some "no name" school....he would have been cut. But Jaylon represents all the elements of what Jerry has done to make this franchise a money maker FIRST...and a winner SECOND. Because of this....he remains.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

vs what stats for Jaylon Smith in 2016?

Take those blinders off.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Jaylon is exactly what he is supposed to be. He's a solid single with a guy on 1st making it to 3rd.
A reliable but limited interior LB with some play-making skill but also some obvious, exploitable weaknesses if the defense leaves him hung out to dry. .
He's our most reliable LB by quite a long shot.
He's the most active tackler (yes often after 5 yards).
He's big, strong and a good straight-line speed guy.
He can man cover TEs fairly well.
He is not good in zone and he lacks lateral movement skills.
So do most ILB that's why they play LB in the first place.

but, but he's overpaid.
No. he isn't. He has the 8th highest cap hit at ILB. He's HALF of what Myles Jack cost and well below Anthony Hitchens. --8th highest is too high!! waawawwawa. No, it isn't because guys on rookie deals are going to be paid more very soon.
What about the future???
His cap hit next year is set to be under 10M. but it can easily be flipped to be less than 5M.
Well then what? Then he can be released with 0 further guarantees.
Jaylon took a very team friendly deal because he wasn't staring at massive money elsewhere.
He leveraged his branding to replace a relatively light NFL contract in ACTUAL money.
If he is our most "reliable" LB....this team never had a chance
If what he puts on film is someone that you would refer to as "strong".....this team never had a chance.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think so many people fail to grasp that he is simply a bad football player. No matter WHERE he was drafted or WHAT he cost. BECAUSE of what he costs...BECAUSE of his story....BECAUSE of his draft status....he remains on the team. If he we just a mid round pick from some "no name" school....he would have been cut. But Jaylon represents all the elements of what Jerry has done to make this franchise a money maker FIRST...and a winner SECOND. Because of this....he remains.

Yet another example of where the Jones family's 'feelings' continue to override quality business decisions.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
24 tackles and more than 40% of the snaps in only 2 games. That qualifies as barely seeing the field in my book. Also managed 3 tackles in his last 5 games that season.

Which is 24 more tackles, 10 starts, and 16 more games than Jaylon.

Kaiser

Reaction score

The other piece of revisionist history is that Jack's medical history was a wildcard for the future, while Dallas expected Jaylon to make a full recovery because their surgeon had done the procedure.

It hasn't happened but part of the calculation was that some teams thought Jack could have microfracture surgery at any time and potentially end his career at any moment. That is a huge part of it, its why Ron Leary had a third round grade from Dallas but dropped out of the draft entirely.

https://www.nfl.com/news/myles-jack...e-due-to-concerns-about-knee-0ap3000000656081

The repair of the lateral meniscus that tore off the bone when he suffered the injury in September is not the issue, according to several sources with direct knowledge of Jack's situation. Instead, the cartilage and bone have begun to separate, creating what is referred to by medical professionals as an osteochondral defect.

If or when the bone and cartilage fully separate, Jack will need to undergo another procedure and it will keep him out for a prolonged period of time. One possibility is microfracture surgery, though there are other options that teams have discussed.

But as one GM told me: "It's not about if he's healthy now. It's about if he gets through his second contract."

Another top evaluator asked this question: "Is he a four-year player or a 10-year player? But technology is better now. So we really don't know."

Kaiser

Reaction score
:lmao:

The best way to prove you’re devoid of understanding football is to point at tackle totals to prove a defensive player’s supposed ability.”

Hey look everyone, tackles are a stat again!!! (As long as they come from Myles Jack).

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If he is our most "reliable" LB....this team never had a chance
If what he puts on film is someone that you would refer to as "strong".....this team never had a chance.
When the team decided Dontari Poe was a good anchor versus the run the team never stood a chance.

Not sure how you'd characterize Sean Lee, LVE and Joe Thomas but reliable isn't it.
That is probably a failing of the front office to lean on two injury stricken guys and a very undersized vet as your depth chart after Jaylon.

There's zero reason to play Jaylon every snap except that the other guys are always injured.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yet another example of where the Jones family's 'feelings' continue to override quality business decisions.
That post was complete nonsense.
Zero NFL teams cut Jaylon Smith.
Would they have paid him the contract he got?
Far more debatable but no one was cutting Jaylon Smith.
We deal with such idiotic posts on here that we can never get to the truth of anything.

Sean Lee should have been gone. That's who the team proved overly loyal too.
And his locked in spot at LB3 robbed the team of any depth because he can only play 5 games a season.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Then 'your book' apparently isn't worth much. I'll repeat myself - Jack played in all 16 games and started in 10 of them in 2016. Please feel free to post Jaylon Smith's 2016 stats for comparison.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackMy00.htm
Yes, he played in every game that year and Jaylon didn't. What makes you think that he would have helped this team down the stretch and in the GB playoff game? given his lack of productivity in those 16 games, and the last 5 in particular, I would argue that he likely wouldn't have even been on the field much against GB, let alone that final drive.