Video: Fish on Tyron’s Future

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Well, if you are reasonable with managing your team, then you can invest in the most important position group in the game, which is the OL. If you don't, then yeah, you will eventually be forced to cut salary. This will eventually happen to the Cowboys if they pay Dak a record deal. It's only a matter of time but it won't be at LT IMO.

*If* Tyron leaves then we can put money into his replacement at LT. They really should have been cross training Williams at T to see what he has. Good chance he'd have more than Knight or Steele.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
  1. Back has been TSmith’s issue. This injury had nothing to do with back.
  2. TSmith is not getting old. He just turned 30 in December.
  3. This is why you have doctors. If they say he’s fragile and falling apart, that’s one thing, but if the doctors say his back is fine, the neck surgery was successful, he’s healthy, then you might ride him another 5 years or more.
The only way we draft an OT in round 1 is if the team doctors say he’s on his last leg.

I think you have to look at the contract situation as well. If Tyron is a june 1st cut that is a saving of 10 mill. Tyron is on the last 3 years of his deal that pay out the highest amount with this season paying out over 14 mill and the next 2 season over 15 mill. All of this may be moot if he chooses to retire as some reports have discussed. Dallas has to be able to do some planning ahead not just reacting to situations.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I just don't see it. People have a tendency to forget that Dak has 5 years in the league now. I always said that Dak has a good 10 years in the league before his body goes, because of his playing style. I have not changed that opinion but Dak and his agent might. It's clear that they want to see another big contract but that can't happen unless Dak avoids pronounced punishment. So I actually see both Dak and the team buying into that idea.

JMO

Wilson still runs put up 513 this past season because it is who he is. His overall abilities make him who and what he is, I don't think that really changes. I do think being smart when running and protecting yourself is a big key, get out of bounds or slide not take defenders head on.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Tyron's back looked ok in 2019. He only missed time in 2019 because someone rolled up the back of his leg. It wasn't his back.

He's missed 26 games in the last five years due to injury, and he did battle back injury in 2019, he has a herniated disk that will require surgery, I just don't know why he didn't have that surgery last year, they babied him in training camp, missed preseason games and missed three games during the season as you said from being rolled up on but also played in games with back issues and was stiff playing...I'm not one of those who say we should trade him or cut him but you've got to start planning for his replacement or a capable backup or wing tackle who can protects Dak's blind side if Tyron can't go....this year proved that in spades with Steele playing...

CoachD

Reaction score
A lot of y’all don’t like him (seems especially personal too I don’t know what he did to some of y’all lol), but he’s been on the right track on stuff as well. Here’s his quip about Tyron, paraphrasing, he indicated no one in Tyron or the FO’s circles has any clue where this “Tyron is done/wants to retire” stuff has come from. Watch here:

Personally, I think we should keep an eye on the future of the position (3rd/4th round pick) but unless he reinjures himself between now and camp he’s the starting LT next season.

P.S. He confirmed the team and La’el Collins expect him to start at RT as well.

"They have no idea where this is coming from".......Welcome to the world of social media, fantasy football, idiot talk show host, and Madden NFL.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Wilson still runs put up 513 this past season because it is who he is. His overall abilities make him who and what he is, I don't think that really changes. I do think being smart when running and protecting yourself is a big key, get out of bounds or slide not take defenders head on.

Who is Wilson?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
This entire bs write up is crap. I've heard nobody say anything close to anything suggest the fans don't like Smitty. Is he getting old, yeah, of course he is. Is he more limited, yeah, he is. But this fan base has shown love to Smitty since his arrival. The point behind all of this is, can you get value for him now, as opposed to waiting till he is done. That's about what all of this is about. But what ever, lets be stupid about things like we have been for 25 years and call it a day right.......
Tyron Smith is 30

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Tyron Smith is 30

He's played a 133 games for us. Age isn't the issue. Games played is the issue. He came into the league with a diagnosed back issue. He still has it and now, apparently he also has neck issue.

aria

Reaction score
Tyron leaving is going to suck, he’s spoiled us for years, along with Martin. Those guys have been all class and everything you want in a football player. Kick tail on the field and keep quiet off it. Like Fred, they will be missed, by some of us at least.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He's played a 133 games for us. Age isn't the issue. Games played is the issue. He came into the league with a diagnosed back issue. He still has it and now, apparently he also has neck issue.
Then don't say he's getting old. The neck/back issue is the very same issue.

Is he getting old, yeah, of course he is.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
  1. Back has been TSmith’s issue. This injury had nothing to do with back.
  2. TSmith is not getting old. He just turned 30 in December.
  3. This is why you have doctors. If they say he’s fragile and falling apart, that’s one thing, but if the doctors say his back is fine, the neck surgery was successful, he’s healthy, then you might ride him another 5 years or more.
The only way we draft an OT in round 1 is if the team doctors say he’s on his last leg.
What they are calling neck surgery is the same injury that was called a back injury by the previous coaching regime. Tyron chose to play with the injury rather than getting surgery and finally had to get it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Then don't say he's getting old.

Is he getting old, yeah, of course he is.

He is getting old. You go ahead and try to suit up at 30 years old with back and neck problems. You don't like the truth, sorry for your luck.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
IDK Corso. I was under the impression we were discussing Dak?
I savvy that, but I believe he was trying to use a comparative example to support his point.

Like I said, I think... I don't know. Perhaps he'll show up and issue clarity.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
btw.why in the world wouldnt THIS spot be close to the top of the list priority-wise? THAT position is what assisted Dak's demise and the team all year. Call me crazy if I wanna give some major attention to left tackle and protect our face of the franchise. lol think Slater, Darrisaw or Sewell make sense.

Offense has not killed us year after year, defense has. You can't fix the defense by adding to an already strong offense.

We were hurt last year on offense not just because Tyron was out, but because Collins was out, Martin was out and Erving was out and even Knight was out temporarily. How likely is it that all that happens again.

Let those first-round offensive tackles go by unless they are rated much higher than any defensive player available and you can't trade down slightly if they are.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Offense has not killed us year after year, defense has. You can't fix the defense by adding to an already strong offense.

We were hurt last year on offense not just because Tyron was out, but because Collins was out, Martin was out and Erving was out and even Knight was out temporarily. How likely is it that all that happens again.

Let those first-round offensive tackles go by unless they are rated much higher than any defensive player available and you can't trade down slightly if they are.
Denial gets us in trouble around here. Left tackle is a big question mark. Dak's blindside needs to be a top concern. Maybe its just me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I savvy that, but I believe he was trying to use a comparative example to support his point.

Like I said, I think... I don't know. Perhaps he'll show up and issue clarity.

Yeah, either way I was apparently lost in the wilderness there. :laugh: