Video: Fish on Tyron’s Future

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I would take him if I'm Cincy.

Surround Burrow with weapons and figure how to block for him later. He is just elusive enough.
With that knee injury he may have lost some of that elusiveness. Gotta block for the kid or the weapons are useless.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
If they draft Sewell at 10 then that's the only way I would be OK with parting with Tyron this year, and that's only if we could get a starting stud defensive player in a trade. And even then I still think it's likely better if they keep Tyron and play Sewell at LG or RT (with La'el moving to LG) and use Sewell at LT if Tyron gets hurt. If Tyron doesn't get hurt then keep him and have an incredible O-line for another 2-3 years. I know we need defensive help tremendously but having an all-decade O-line with all the skill position talent we have would ensure they average 30 points a game. You'd then hope spending the rest of the draft picking up defenders, making one big defensive FA signing along with the usual 1-2 year deals, and reverting back to Quinn's simpler scheme are all collectively enough to put the defense back in the top 10-15 and bank on that being good enough to win it all.

It's highly doubtful Sewell is there at 10 and so the best plan right now is to gamble that Tyron can stay healthy and invest every single available asset in the defense. With the cap going down we have Tyron at a decent price and value so I think the best plan is to hope he stays healthy. If they draft Sewell and someone calls offering a good veteran starting defender on a good contract for Tyron then maybe... but otherwise he's still a beast when healthy.

JayFord

Reaction score
Tyron Smith is not going anywhere. The criticism is fair from past injuries but I just don't see it after a minor successful surgery.

Tyron is 30 years old and still arguably the best in the game when healthy. Expect him to be a Cowboy for the next 5 years

i see it as he took the year off so he could rehab and have his surgery.....I dont see him playing 5 more years i see him playing 3......hopefully he can come back 100% but we do need to look for his replacement sooner rather than later

conner01

Reaction score
A lot of y’all don’t like him (seems especially personal too I don’t know what he did to some of y’all lol), but he’s been on the right track on stuff as well. Here’s his quip about Tyron, paraphrasing, he indicated no one in Tyron or the FO’s circles has any clue where this “Tyron is done/wants to retire” stuff has come from. Watch here:

Personally, I think we should keep an eye on the future of the position (3rd/4th round pick) but unless he reinjures himself between now and camp he’s the starting LT next season.

P.S. He confirmed the team and La’el Collins expect him to start at RT as well.

I don’t dislike him or not trust him at all
I don’t like watching him because it takes him too long to get to the point lol
So I rather wait for someone to post the two or three sentences that actually matters, so thank you

conner01

Reaction score
If they draft Sewell at 10 then that's the only way I would be OK with parting with Tyron this year, and that's only if we could get a starting stud defensive player in a trade. And even then I still think it's likely better if they keep Tyron and play Sewell at LG or RT (with La'el moving to LG) and use Sewell at LT if Tyron gets hurt. If Tyron doesn't get hurt then keep him and have an incredible O-line for another 2-3 years. I know we need defensive help tremendously but having an all-decade O-line with all the skill position talent we have would ensure they average 30 points a game. You'd then hope spending the rest of the draft picking up defenders, making one big defensive FA signing along with the usual 1-2 year deals, and reverting back to Quinn's simpler scheme are all collectively enough to put the defense back in the top 10-15 and bank on that being good enough to win it all.

It's highly doubtful Sewell is there at 10 and so the best plan right now is to gamble that Tyron can stay healthy and invest every single available asset in the defense. With the cap going down we have Tyron at a decent price and value so I think the best plan is to hope he stays healthy. If they draft Sewell and someone calls offering a good veteran starting defender on a good contract for Tyron then maybe... but otherwise he's still a beast when healthy.
If Sewell was there at 10 I’d take him in a heartbeat
I don’t think smith is done but Sewell would be like the Lamb pick last year, too good to pass up
I’d move Collins back inside and put Sewell at RT till the day smith is done

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
why is it so hard to just admit its time to move on from a player? The good teams understand this in spades. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting better results is in fact, INSANITY. We needn't see more from Tyron. We know how this plays out.

It isn't a question of that. It's a question of prioritizing needs. You want to move on from Tyron, then fine. Find someone on this roster to replace him because we don't need to use another first-round pick on the offensive line. We need to concentrate on defense.

I would rather see us hold on to Tyron for one more year on the chance that he can remain relatively healthy. If the chance fails, we go with what we've got, which is what we would need to do anyway in order to focus on the defense.

If you say fine, take an OT in the second round, we could do that, but would you want to cut Tyron before finding out if that pick pans out? I give him one more year while we're focusing on defense and then plan to move on in 2022 when we can hopefully again afford to use a first-round pick on the position.

We cannot continue to poor our efforts into the offense and just hope the defense improves. We know the Joneses are not going to spend what it takes to fix the defense in FA, so we need to use those early picks on that side of the ball.

This year, I bring back Cameron Erving at the same price we paid last year, and I roll the dice on Tyron. If he misses a few games, insert Erving because he played well in the few games where he was healthy. If Tyron goes out for the season, move Collins to the left side where he can hold down that spot for years to come. My preference for right tackle would be to move Williams there and give him a chance to earn a second contract that he's not going to get at guard, but if not, we've got Knight, who I think has played pretty well on that side of the line when given the chance, and we've got Martin as the fallback.

As the saying goes, you can't have All-Pros at every position.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It isn't a question of that. It's a question of prioritizing needs. You want to move on from Tyron, then fine. Find someone on this roster to replace him because we don't need to use another first-round pick on the offensive line. We need to concentrate on defense.

I would rather see us hold on to Tyron for one more year on the chance that he can remain relatively healthy. If the chance fails, we go with what we've got, which is what we would need to do anyway in order to focus on the defense.

If you say fine, take an OT in the second round, we could do that, but would you want to cut Tyron before finding out if that pick pans out? I give him one more year while we're focusing on defense and then plan to move on in 2022 when we can hopefully again afford to use a first-round pick on the position.

We cannot continue to poor our efforts into the offense and just hope the defense improves. We know the Joneses are not going to spend what it takes to fix the defense in FA, so we need to use those early picks on that side of the ball.

This year, I bring back Cameron Erving at the same price we paid last year, and I roll the dice on Tyron. If he misses a few games, insert Erving because he played well in the few games where he was healthy. If Tyron goes out for the season, move Collins to the left side where he can hold down that spot for years to come. My preference for right tackle would be to move Williams there and give him a chance to earn a second contract that he's not going to get at guard, but if not, we've got Knight, who I think has played pretty well on that side of the line when given the chance, and we've got Martin as the fallback.

dont care about ALL PROS at every position. I just want available decent players..scrappy that may be flawed but can get the job done. Tyron has been a stud, but at this point every year his availability is in question. That is no good. Knight wasn't that bad and was imrpoving during the last few games in 2020. Let the kid compete with Erving and a draftee and lets see what happens. Camp competition is a good thing. Thank Tyron for his service and trade him or what have you. He was key for us in 2014,2016, but those days are long gone for him. Its a reality check.

Rayman70

Reaction score

btw.why in the world wouldnt THIS spot be close to the top of the list priority-wise? THAT position is what assisted Dak's demise and the team all year. Call me crazy if I wanna give some major attention to left tackle and protect our face of the franchise. lol think Slater, Darrisaw or Sewell make sense.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Here is what I'm gonna tell every one of you. If you are a fan of signing Dak to a big contract, then you had better get used to being a fan of using that top 10 pick on a LT as well. I'm telling you guys that if we sign Dak, we will need to insure that we have an OL that can block like no tomorrow. The days of Dak running down field and stretching out for that extra yard are going to end, for the most part. An investment like 100 mil plus will force that from the team IMO. Remember what the team did with Romo once he signed his big deal and how limited he became, in terms of scrambling and breaking the pocket. Remember how much the fan base wanted him to run like he used to when he was younger but those days were over for him. Same will happen with Dak. So investing in a LT will, IMO, be what the team does to try and protect him. This is the result of that signing if you ask me.

JMO

Doomsday101

Reaction score
btw.why in the world wouldnt THIS spot be close to the top of the list priority-wise? THAT position is what assisted Dak's demise and the team all year. Call me crazy if I wanna give some major attention to left tackle and protect our face of the franchise. lol think Slater, Darrisaw or Sewell make sense.

Now days teams will move that outside rusher, for example Myles Garrett will lineup as much on the right side as he does on the left side. OT be it right or left is becoming more important than ever.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Here is what I'm gonna tell every one of you. If you are a fan of signing Dak to a big contract, then you had better get used to being a fan of using that top 10 pick on a LT as well. I'm telling you guys that if we sign Dak, we will need to insure that we have an OL that can block like no tomorrow. The days of Dak running down field and stretching out for that extra yard are going to end, for the most part. An investment like 100 mil plus will force that from the team IMO. Remember what the team did with Romo once he signed his big deal and how limited he became, in terms of scrambling and breaking the pocket. Remember how much the fan base wanted him to run like he used to when he was younger but those days were over for him. Same will happen with Dak. So investing in a LT will, IMO, be what the team does to try and protect him. This is the result of that signing if you ask me.

JMO

Romo was never a good runner and could not slide worth a damn. Romo could move around in the pocket but was never a big threat of running. I think much of what Dak does is by instinct. You may be right they may have less designed runs for him I don't think you can take instinct away from a player

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm sure you don't want to see Dak or whomever is QBing us on the shelf again this season either but that's what you get if you don't address the issue. I mean, you can wait for it to happen but that only makes things worse. You are gonna have to address the situation at some point and when you do, it's likely that whomever you draft is gonna start on the bench because College Offensive Lineman usually take time to physically get to the point where they can stand up to the physicality of the NFL game. So at some point, you are going to be drafting somebody at LT who is going to sit regardless.

The rest assumes Williams leaves. I don't think that's a given.

Williams is a good starting LG. We gotta stop pouring money into the oline. We can't afford another olineman being paid free agent money. And we have a plug and play replacement with McGovern. Makes no sense to keep Williams.

As for sitting our next drafted LT - nah. We didn't sit Tyron, and he came into the league young. LT is a premiere position, meriting premiere investment. When the time comes to move on from Tyron, spend a 1st, and play him. 1st round picks don't warm the bench.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He had surgery on his neck(stinger), not his lower back, so the main issue for him missing games over the last three plus years is still there and still a major problem...

Tyron's back looked ok in 2019. He only missed time in 2019 because someone rolled up the back of his leg. It wasn't his back.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Romo was never a good runner and could not slide worth a damn. Romo could move around in the pocket but was never a big threat of running. I think much of what Dak does is by instinct. You may be right they may have less designed runs for him I don't think you can take instinct away from a player

Well, he can't throw like Romo so he's gonna have to figure it out I guess.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Williams is a good starting LG. We gotta stop pouring money into the oline. We can't afford another olineman being paid free agent money. And we have a plug and play replacement with McGovern. Makes no sense to keep Williams.

As for sitting our next drafted LT - nah. We didn't sit Tyron, and he came into the league young. LT is a premiere position, meriting premiere investment. When the time comes to move on from Tyron, spend a 1st, and play him. 1st round picks don't warm the bench.

Well, if you are reasonable with managing your team, then you can invest in the most important position group in the game, which is the OL. If you don't, then yeah, you will eventually be forced to cut salary. This will eventually happen to the Cowboys if they pay Dak a record deal. It's only a matter of time but it won't be at LT IMO.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
  1. Back has been TSmith’s issue. This injury had nothing to do with back.
  2. TSmith is not getting old. He just turned 30 in December.
  3. This is why you have doctors. If they say he’s fragile and falling apart, that’s one thing, but if the doctors say his back is fine, the neck surgery was successful, he’s healthy, then you might ride him another 5 years or more.
The only way we draft an OT in round 1 is if the team doctors say he’s on his last leg.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Well, he can't throw like Romo so he's gonna have to figure it out I guess.

He does not make improvised throws like Romo. I'm a big fan of Romo but he would make some crazy and something stupid throws. I expect Dak will continue to use his legs and arm to move this offense. As I said maybe they have fewer designed runs but when pressure comes the instincts always kick in, Dak see a running lane to get a big gainer I fully expect to see him pull the ball and take the yards or TD

Verdict

Reaction score
A lot of y’all don’t like him (seems especially personal too I don’t know what he did to some of y’all lol), but he’s been on the right track on stuff as well. Here’s his quip about Tyron, paraphrasing, he indicated no one in Tyron or the FO’s circles has any clue where this “Tyron is done/wants to retire” stuff has come from. Watch here:

Personally, I think we should keep an eye on the future of the position (3rd/4th round pick) but unless he reinjures himself between now and camp he’s the starting LT next season.

P.S. He confirmed the team and La’el Collins expect him to start at RT as well.

To be fair, Fisher would have probably said the same thing last year as well, and we know how that turned out. Moreover, if the Cowboys had other ideas about how they want to approach the upcoming season. it would not be in the team's best interest to publicize it, to anyone, including Fish.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He does not make improvised throws like Romo. I'm a big fan of Romo but he would make some crazy and something stupid throws. I expect Dak will continue to use his legs and arm to move this offense. As I said maybe they have fewer designed runs but when pressure comes the instincts always kick in, Dak see a running lane to get a big gainer I fully expect to see him pull the ball and take the yards or TD

I just don't see it. People have a tendency to forget that Dak has 5 years in the league now. I always said that Dak has a good 10 years in the league before his body goes, because of his playing style. I have not changed that opinion but Dak and his agent might. It's clear that they want to see another big contract but that can't happen unless Dak avoids pronounced punishment. So I actually see both Dak and the team buying into that idea.

JMO