Video: Fish on Tyron’s Future

Brooksey

Reaction score
Tyron Smith is not going anywhere. The criticism is fair from past injuries but I just don't see it after a minor successful surgery.

Tyron is 30 years old and still arguably the best in the game when healthy. Expect him to be a Cowboy for the next 5 years

quickccc

Reaction score
His injury issues should be a major concern, especially considering it’s his back. If he can play more that would be great but we need his replacement on the roster.

Tyron has had two major injuries related to each other that serve to end his season - to end his career. First his back and now his neck.

Team did not want Doug Free to walk away … they were not expecting Travis Fredrick to walk away... can the same end up being said for Tyron Smith ?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I guess I'm just getting too old, this guy gets on my nerves:mad: it doesn't take 11 minutes to say that all three players are healthy enough to resume their careers. This guy should stick to tweets:D
this part of the offseason=nothing much to talk about so? it happens easy dont click on videos and links lol

blueblood70

Reaction score
Tyron Smith is not going anywhere. The criticism is fair from past injuries but I just don't see it after a minor successful surgery.

Tyron is 30 years old and still arguably the best in the game when healthy. Expect him to be a Cowboy for the next 5 years
:hammer:

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm OK with the team selecting an OL player early, but there is no reason to force it. They brought a kid in off the street who played admirably well when Tyron went down. That tells me the real issue is depth--like it is at most roster positions.

If Sewell falls in the draft, then snatch him up, but there is no reason to treat this like its a must-have early in the draft.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
various:
I like Fish. Disagree with him heavily at times but love that he offers complete thoughts and explains what he means in detail.
When you disagree you can explain why.

Tyron: He has missed exactly 3 games for each year from 2016-2019.
That's a concern. But his 2020 where he played all of 2 games is new... and the question is does the extended rest/recovery/rehab make him better than ever or is this the new normal.
It sounds like we will get a chance to find out in 2021.
And I am more than OK with that because Tyron has been a top 5 OT across those 13 game seasons.
Team needs to learn to manage his rest and such to get him through a season healthy enough to help you in the playoffs provided the miracle of getting there.
Tyron has played less football and had far more success than Matt Stafford and the Rams just gave up the world for that dude... so it'd be pretty easy to sell a team(such as our Cowboys) on Tyron imho.

La'el: That is BIG news; and is meaningful. La'el appears to be on track for 100% recovery and scares aside he's an elite RT if healthy and could be even better the next couple seasons.
Only missed 1 game the 3 years prior to 2020. Only 27.
While I had scary Erik Williams flashbacks with the wreck and injury this is far more likely a blip.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm OK with the team selecting an OL player early, but there is no reason to force it. They brought a kid in off the street who played admirably well when Tyron went down. That tells me the real issue is depth--like it is at most roster positions.

If Sewell falls in the draft, then snatch him up, but there is no reason to treat this like its a must-have early in the draft.
Basically how I feel.
OT is a worthwhile position largely because it is an 8-10 year position in this league.
Not sure I'd call it a need but it is a valuable asset and thus worth pick 10 investment IF the player on the board is the highest ranked on your board.
I stop at saying Sewell specifically as team grade will determine all that and we are talking about guys who haven't played in a year that will likely be less accurate at draftnik level than ever before.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I fear you are correct. I hope you aren't. And I imagine you do as well.

I think the players who might reasonably be available and who are worthy at 10 are probably Slater, Farley and the Notre Dame LB. Surtain is close. So is Horn. Parsons might be as well, if he runs like a scalded dog and is clean enough with his character. I also think Darrisaw is close.

But a long way to go before the draft.

I think Slater, Darrisaw, Parsons and Pitts and maybe Farley, depending on how he runs. The rest are QBs which could be gone by 10 and WRs which we really don't need.

OriginalNameGuy

Reaction score
If he turns out to be healthy, great, but they need to be ready for the future. Investing in the O line was the key to the Boys best runs in recent times.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We've got two high quality starters at T. I don't want to to sit a guy we draft high, nor draft mid round, only to want to upgrade when one of our starters retired.
With all our needs, I don't see wasting draft capital on a guy who sits and we won't want as a starter anyway. If it's a Lamb situation, where extra value falls into our lap, take him. If Sewell fell to us, he would qualify.

It's a bad year for us to take a T, IMO. Tyron, Collins, Williams 1, Knight 2, Steele 3. When Tyron finally poops out, finish the season on Knight/Steele, then seriously spend the following year to get a franchise LT.

If anything, I'd be looking interior oline. We're a little light, and soon to be lighter. Looney looked done. Biadasz 3, McGovern 2, Willams 1 years left. Assume Biadasz and Williams start, that leaves McGovern to backup all 3 spots, and no one behind him. Time to bring in another to backfill for when Williams leaves. Doesn't have to be a high pick. Get us another guy who drops like McGovern.

I'm sure you don't want to see Dak or whomever is QBing us on the shelf again this season either but that's what you get if you don't address the issue. I mean, you can wait for it to happen but that only makes things worse. You are gonna have to address the situation at some point and when you do, it's likely that whomever you draft is gonna start on the bench because College Offensive Lineman usually take time to physically get to the point where they can stand up to the physicality of the NFL game. So at some point, you are going to be drafting somebody at LT who is going to sit regardless.

The rest assumes Williams leaves. I don't think that's a given.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
I think Slater, Darrisaw, Parsons and Pitts and maybe Farley, depending on how he runs. The rest are QBs which could be gone by 10 and WRs which we really don't need.
True. I actually recalled last night I had excluded Pitts, who is definitely worthy. And if you think of the draft not just as a one-year roster fix but as a multiple year roster build, which you should, he makes sense for the Cowboys.

Gallup is probably gone after next season, and Pitts would be a welcome part of the arsenal. If he has a top tier grade from the Cowboys and there isn't someone else there who fits that description, I'd be excited to have him on the team.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
We dont know how he will be after surgery. If you recall a certain defensive end on this team was always hurt. Had one surgery and that particular issue never bothered him again. I know they are different situations but Tyron isnt make much for a LT and as you said. When hes healthy hes top 5. I say play him. Dont waste draft capital on a position that isnt a need right now. I mean. If leatherwood or someone of that caliber falls to the second round. Go for it. But not with a first round pick.

He had surgery on his neck(stinger), not his lower back, so the main issue for him missing games over the last three plus years is still there and still a major problem...He'll never play a full season again and you can't expect a deep playoff run with some seventh rounder or undrafted player playing left tackle protecting Dak's back side because of Tyron having another back issue....It makes ZERO sense in doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result now with Tyron Smith...And I said before, if Farley and Surtain are gone, Slater would be my third choice if the cowboys don't trade down.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Tyron finally got surgery this offseason. If successful and he can play out his contract, it will be a big win for the team. He has a very friendly contract for a top LT.

We need to hedge with a capable swing. I think Knight can be serviceable, but maybe upgrade there.

Smith had surgery on his neck, not his lower back...

phildadon86

Reaction score
He had surgery on his neck(stinger), not his lower back, so the main issue for him missing games over the last three plus years is still there and still a major problem...He'll never play a full season again and you can't expect a deep playoff run with some seventh rounder or undrafted player playing left tackle protecting Dak's back side because of Tyron having another back issue....It makes ZERO sense in doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result now with Tyron Smith...And I said before, if Farley and Surtain are gone, Slater would be my third choice if the cowboys don't trade down.
Didnt you also say Jaylon would never play football again? My apologies if I am confusing you with another poster.

817Gill

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by Steele. Think he might have something with a year or two of development. He wasn't ready to play this year, but he could be interesting when he gets stronger and a little more polished.
He has to. They threw him out there first week of the season. I haven’t written him off either.
Fun fact about Steele, he played 1,045 snaps total this year. What a completely different season than he expected coming in lol

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Didnt you also say Jaylon would never play football again? My apologies if I am confusing you with another poster.

No I did not, I knew he'd be a top ten selection if he was "healthy" but didn't understand the selection based on the Fact Jerry said the clock was running out on Romo so they needed player to help them win NOW, Smith wasn't a win now player because I said he'd take at least two years to fully recover and wouldn't help the Cowboys win NOW...

Rayman70

Reaction score
I dont think that is the best route. When healthy Tyron is still a top 5 tackle in this league. And ive said from jump years ago he should have had his surgery then. Stephen didnt want him to. I think we see a better vs of Tyron than we have for years next season. Maybe im overly optimistic and thats fine. I just remember the difference in Dlaw after his surgery.
"WHEN HEALTHY" lol...Does it really matter how good he is if he isn't available on Sundays?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Can't fix everything at once. We need to focus on the defense.

If Tyron proves to be finished, then move Collins to his natural position LT and sort out RT with the players we have available, including Martin if needed.

I could live with a line of Collins, Williams, Biadasz, McGovern, Martin over any position group we have on the defensive side of the ball.
why is it so hard to just admit its time to move on from a player? The good teams understand this in spades. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting better results is in fact, INSANITY. We needn't see more from Tyron. We know how this plays out.