Fish: Schefter is reporting a rumor the Cowboys could use a high draft pick on a QB

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
If they do that it will make the Lance trade look stupid. I doubt Jerry is ready to look stupid before Lance plays a preseason game.
Why? They identified a potential problem and took precautionary measures with a low risk, high reward move. That potential problem has become a real issue, and doing more to address it is the right move if the opportunity presents itself. You DON'T mess around at QB. If they are realistically considering moving on from Dak, it's wise to do what you can to address the position before it becomes a giant void on the roster.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would make that trade too, but Lance isn’t it. Too many are holding onto the fact he was a high 1st round pick and not what transpired afterwards. Despite their huge investment they opted to cut bait.

SF gambled big and way overdrafted a guy with the physical traits but who was vastly inexperienced, can’t read defenses and processes things way too slow.
Gosh this sounds familiar!!
Can you read defenses, and how fast can you process it as well?
Go make a video and show us. Are you a NFL scout or coach?
:laugh:

Just because fans can watch a lot of game film now, does not make one an expert.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For a 4th round pick? That's not a dumb move, even if he's just a backup.
Many fans wanted them to draft a QB last year anyway, using a mid round pick. So basically that happened, just using this years 4th. For a 3rd overall pick.
Seems like pretty smart move.

But now they want to say it was stupid. Are they just wanting to rag on Jerry, or afraid of some QB competition.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't see that happening. Taking a high-risk flyer on Lance is more of Jerry's style. Gotta keep things cheap and bargain hunt around here...

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
let's hate Jerry but support him by watching and begging for players in the draft. *chuckles* get that gear too

MikeT22

Reaction score
Can you read defenses, and how fast can you process it as well?
Go make a video and show us. Are you a NFL scout or coach?
:laugh:

Just because fans can watch a lot of game film now, does not make one an expert.
That was the conclusion of the team that drafted him. They saw him in three training camps, several regular season games and countless practices.

They cut bait with him despite their heavy investment. But I can make a video of myself if that makes you feel better about the 49ers evaluation of Lance.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Many fans wanted them to draft a QB last year anyway, using a mid round pick. So basically that happened, just using this years 4th. For a 3rd overall pick.
Seems like pretty smart move.

But now they want to say it was stupid. Are they just wanting to rag on Jerry, or afraid of some QB competition.
I’d prefer to use a draft pick on one who isn’t someone’s else’s failed project. Not to mention his contract situation.

BigD_95

Reaction score
If they do that it will make the Lance trade look stupid. I doubt Jerry is ready to look stupid before Lance plays a preseason game.

why? it's not like we broke the bank for him. If he becomes the backup QB Im ok with that.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Jerry won’t do it . The last time he picked a qb in first round it was Troy Aikman . Plus Jerry still wants to lure Dak into a discount , not upset him .
It wouldn't surprise me if the Cowboys are floating this roomer just so Dak will come down on his money. That's so Jerry and Stephen.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Rumor is floating around that the Cowboys are a sleeper to draft a man early in the draft.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys desperate need to draft an OT should preclude any move they might make to draft a QB in the 1st round. Despite that being fairly obvious, does that mean it simply can't happen? Anything is possible with Jerry making the decisions. He's never been afraid of acting foolishly, so why should he hesitate now? There are rounds other than the 1st to take a player at OT, LB, or any other spot. Would it be shocking for something unexpected to come about? Not if you've been around long enough to know what this FO is liable to do, it wouldn't. This is anything but a totally predicable year for the 'Boys. Those familiar with this team have been scratching their collective heads for years now. Anything is possible.
I thought Dallas always drafted best player available.

conner01

Reaction score
I’m waiting to see the high draft pick we use lol it would gut multiple drafts to trade up high enough to get a top prospect from our spot. Unless you trade a player then we aren’t moving up to any high pick. To me 24 isn’t a high pick

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
If JJ McCarthy or Bo Nix falls they could pull the trigger. They would battle with Trey Lance in camp
No on Bo Nix and JJ McCarthy. I think McCarthy has some moxy and may be a starter someday but not worth the draft capital...even if he fell to us in the 2nd round. QBs require a ton of investment and the decision should be made on genuine excitement about the player and not a need to rebound...

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Draft a young QB and fire MM shortly there after, than bring in BB to run the show.
WIll never happen, but some of us radicals can dream.
BB will like to buy his own groceries, so drafting a QB this year with Mac on the team is not going to sit with BB well . BB and Jerry co existing is a pipe dream , but can’t be ruled out