Fish take on Dak's contract talk

kskboys

Reaction score
that is just your opinion based on your perception of his skill set and abilities.
That is not how it works, and even if it did others would place a different value on him, some lower some higher.
It really isnt about what he has done or not done, it is what you think the team can do with him as the starter.
The cowboys think they can do good, SB good, But really with your opinion of what he can do in future, he should
not be the starter, they should draft a rookie high. And let dak go, mediocre qb's are not hard to get so why are the jones
boys trying to keep him>?
You, my good sir, have gone off the deep end. You are claiming a ton of stuff that I do not think. Where did you get this crapp from? And yes, crapp it is.

You have been brainwashed. Just because Russell got 35ish does not mean Dak should. Maybe it works that way, but it should not. It's silly to constantly play "I want more than the other guy, and if I don't get it I'm going to pout."

Your take is childish and not based in reality.

There, how do you like it?

kskboys

Reaction score
that says it all and in your own words.
For some reason, you started a lame fight. Have no idea why and it still doesn't make sense. However, I'll let you know this. Resorting to spewing lies about your fellow posters makes you look incredibly weak. What you should do is rethink and realize you spewed insults for no reason, but I'm thinking you're not going to be capable of that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The idea that the team has been playing under a discount for a long time and they owe Dak is something that I don't really buy completely into. I believe drafting this guy and actually allowing him to be the starter for the Cowboys is a big return for Dak, on behalf of the team. If he's not the starter, he's not making 7 mil in endorsement money. He's not in a position to receive one of the top contracts in the entire league. As an aside, it is not as if the Cowboys were trying to pay him nothing. They did offer him more money and have been trying to sign him since 2018 but he has not accepted any of those offers. I don't think the fault here is all on the Cowboys. Dak did not have to play for nothing. He had options. He chose not to exercise them. Now I get the reasoning behind why he didn't but I think it's wrong to act as if the team owes all this somehow. The team has treated Dak well. Dak and his agent want a record deal. I've been saying this all along.

The truth is that it's a negotiation. Dak wants record money at 40 mil annually and he wants a short term deal so he can come back for more once the new CBA is in place and once Mahomes gets a new deal. He wants to maximize his earnings, I get that. That's fine, I really don't have a problem with that. However, I do have a problem if the team allows this. It is not a wise move in any sense of the word IMO.

I do think it's interesting though that none of the posters who have been claiming that the team has been low balling Dak are not being more vocal about the fact that this suggests that Dak and his agent have turned down offers of 35 mil annually. Now think about that for just a second. That's at the top of the entire NFL for pay schedules. Russell Wilson was in the league for like 7 seasons. He has taken them to 3 super bowls, won a championship, he has done something in the League. Dak has 4 years, he has not accomplished anything close to the same level of success in the League and the team is offering him a deal that is on par. I mean, I just don't see how anybody can look at this and say the team has not been fair with Dak. I don't get that.

Last edited:

Little Jr

Reaction score
Why is the Flacco deal the go to for everyone to show what it can do to a team lol. There was more to that than just his contract, but Id like to see some other teams named. How about SF? They made Jimmy G the the higest paid after 7 starts and theyve made out pretty good. GB made Rodgers top pay and they made out well and spent money to improve the D. I know some will say he deserves the money, but we are talking about the amount of the contract hurting teams, not how good the player is or isnt.

The point is, paying big contracts to qbs, the most important position on the team, doesnt have the affect of building a team like so many suggest. There are different ways to get to the chip and this year shows it with the 2 teams in the super bowl. Actually the whole playoffs did. The NFC had the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th top paid qbs who 3 of those 4 were higest paid at some point. The AFC had mostly teams with QBs on rookie deals.

Little Jr

Reaction score
'Report That!' Says QB Dak Prescott When Asked About A Cowboys Contract Holdout
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...t-when-asked-about-a-cowboys-contract-holdout
Lol good faith bargaining is why he should show up? How about the good faith of them saying he was the priority last year at this time and never giving him a contract? How bout the good faith bargaining of the 25m original offer that made the agent come back with 40m to say f you? How bout the good faith bargaining of being the priority only to see the RB hold out with 2 years left on his contract and get a market setting deal? How bout the good faith bargaining of showing up playing good soldier and playing the season out with no new contract, all while the rb and de hold out, threaten to hold out and not get surgery until a deal is done? How bout we asked Dlaw about good faith bargaining in 2018 when he was tagged and how that worked out. What did he have to do to get his money in 2019?

They could have had him for 34m last May and possibly even less, but they sat on their hands clustered this whole thing. Now they are going to have to pay him more than they could have had him for.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Why is the Flacco deal the go to for everyone to show what it can do to a team lol. There was more to that than just his contract, but Id like to see some other teams named. How about SF? They made Jimmy G the the higest paid after 7 starts and theyve made out pretty good. GB made Rodgers top pay and they made out well and spent money to improve the D. I know some will say he deserves the money, but we are talking about the amount of the contract hurting teams, not how good the player is or isnt.

The point is, paying big contracts to qbs, the most important position on the team, doesnt have the affect of building a team like so many suggest. There are different ways to get to the chip and this year shows it with the 2 teams in the super bowl. Actually the whole playoffs did. The NFC had the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th top paid qbs who 3 of those 4 were higest paid at some point. The AFC had mostly teams with QBs on rookie deals.

Jimmy G's first deal with San Fran was a really sweet deal for San Francisco. It was front loaded and structured in such a way as to allow San Fran to get out of it after 2 years. San Francisco is on the hook (for the next 3 years) for 26 mil for two years and 27 for a third and there is like 4 mil dead cap left. I'd sign Dak to that deal in a hot second but that's not gonna happen so it's kind of pointless to use that as an example IMO. That's the way you want to sign a QB. Rodgers had already won something and was widely considered the best QB in the entire NFL. Now though, look at the Packers. I mean, that contract has killed them IMO. I think you can make a really argument that it has hurt them.

Good point though, about who's still left. Jimmy G, who is on a sweet deal with San Fran has allowed them to really make moves. Mahomes is still on his rookie deal so KC has also had a nice situation, with which to build upon. Wilson and Rodgers, etc., are all home.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Jimmy G's first deal with San Fran was a really sweet deal for San Francisco. It was front loaded and structured in such a way as to allow San Fran to get out of it after 2 years. San Francisco is on the hook (for the next 3 years) for 26 mil for two years and 27 for a third and there is like 4 mil dead cap left. I'd sign Dak to that deal in a hot second but that's not gonna happen so it's kind of pointless to use that as an example IMO. That's the way you want to sign a QB. Rodgers had already won something and was widely considered the best QB in the entire NFL. Now though, look at the Packers. I mean, that contract has killed them IMO. I think you can make a really argument that it has hurt them.

Good point though, about who's still left. Jimmy G, who is on a sweet deal with San Fran has allowed them to really make moves. Mahomes is still on his rookie deal so KC has also had a nice situation, with which to build upon. Wilson and Rodgers, etc., are all home.
Most all big contracts have a out after 3 years. There is dead money but Im not one to worry about dead money, Its overrated a talked about much more than it should be. And how has the contract killed the packers? They went on the biggestspending spree they ever have and have 20m in cap space now. Im not going to look up what they can do to clear up more, but they are fine on the cap. As far as SF being allowed to make moves, his cap hit was 37m in year one so it didnt help them with this team, their drafting has. It will allow them to make moves in the future with the low cap hit,but this team wasnt built because of Jimmy sweet deal. And if you are going to say your point is proven by the 2 teams in the super bowl and reference Wilson and Rodgers sitting at home is silly. IF making the super bowl is the only way for it to be a good deal being then you should never make your qb the highest paid. Ill go with the field every year and will win more times than not. There is only 1 higest paid qb and 31 other teams. You dont build your team and win that way though. Lol you dont say, the higest paid isnt in the super bowl so lets not pay the qb top $ and that gives us a better chance. Lets let him walk or tag him for 3 years and move on. Teams would be drafting a qb every 3 years.

Last edited:

Little Jr

Reaction score

That sweet deal has SF with 13m in cap space with that bad deal in GB has them at 20m. That top pay Wilson got has Sea with 50m in cap space. The cap isnt a issue giving out big contracts to QBs. If someone doesnt think the qb is worth, thats always debatable. It being the reason a team doesnt win a super bowl isnt debatable, its just silly. Like I said, if winning the super bowl is the qualification of being a good deal or not, 99% of the time its going to be a bad deal since the odds of that one team winning it all isnt that high vs the field

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Most all big contracts have a out after 3 years. There is dead money but Im not one to worry about dead money, Its overrated a talked about much more than it should be. And how has the contract killed the packers? They went on the biggestspending spree they ever have and have 20m in cap space now. Im not going to look up what they can do to clear up more, but they are fine on the cap. As far as SF being allowed to make moves, his cap hit was 37m in year one so it didnt help them with this team, their drafting has. It will allow them to make moves in the future with the low cap hit,but this team wasnt built because of Jimmy sweet deal. And if you are going to say your point is proven by the 2 teams in the super bowl and reference Wilson and Rodgers sitting at home is silly. IF making the super bowl is the only way for it to be a good deal being then you should never make your qb the highest paid. Ill go with the field every year and will win more times than not. There is only 1 higest paid qb and 31 other teams. You dont build your team and win that way though. Lol you dont say, the higest paid isnt in the super bowl so lets not pay the qb top $ and that gives us a better chance. Lets let him walk or tag him for 3 years and move on. Teams would be drafting a qb every 3 years.

Why do you say this? Most big contracts don't have outs in three years, that I am aware of. Yeah, dead cap, it kills you. You don't see contracts with 4 mil in dead cap and three years left on deals much. yeah, they paid him up front but you know why? Because they had a ton of cap that year and they had to pay it. You have to spend a certain percentage and they had cap they needed to get spend so they spent it on Jimmy G. They were smart, not dumb. They didn't lock themselves into huge unmanageable salary expense over multiple years, they didn't carry over dead cap much and they gave themselves plenty of optional years if Garappolo turned out well.

Simple question, talent wise, is Seattle or Green Bay even close to as good as they were before signing Wilson and Rodgers to mega deals? I mean, we all know the answer there. If you think they are, then fine. It's not true but if that's what you think, then you are entitled to your opinion. But here's the thing, and I'll be very clear here, I don't think it was wise for either of those teams to sign those deals but at least they signed QBs who have proven they can do the kinds of things you need to carry your team to championships.

I mean, the last part of your post is Gibberish. What are you talking about with this don't pay Dak stuff. That's just a bunch of BS. Nobody said that except you. It's been reported that Dak and his team have turned down 35 mil annually so where do you come off with saying any of that? If he's not going to accept an offer that is "Top Dollar", then what choice do you have really? I mean, that's just silly.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That sweet deal has SF with 13m in cap space with that bad deal in GB has them at 20m. That top pay Wilson got has Sea with 50m in cap space. The cap isnt a issue giving out big contracts to QBs. If someone doesnt think the qb is worth, thats always debatable. It being the reason a team doesnt win a super bowl isnt debatable, its just silly. Like I said, if winning the super bowl is the qualification of being a good deal or not, 99% of the time its going to be a bad deal since the odds of that one team winning it all isnt that high vs the field

Yeah, that sweet deal has SF in the Super Bowl. Talk to me when Dak is there. GB is terrible. 20m is going to do what for them? Seattle has 19 FAs. 19............

Whats your point?

cern

Reaction score
This whole thing started with a lowball offer of 25 mil a year for a long term contract by the jones boys, and that T off Dak and his agent,
Cheapo steven thought he could get a real deal , and now it has gone off the rails.
Just curious, but do you have any proof of this or are you just making it up? And even if correct, todd France is too professional to get upset about a lowball offer. Someone has to make the first offer so the other party can counter. Life in the big leagues.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Dak has always been fair minded. It could also be more about the structure of the contract than the speculated pay per year. He alluded to that in his recent conversation.

CCBoy

Reaction score
My respect for Dak is beginning to fall.

With middle/middle class is about $50,000+ a year, it's really getting hard to connect to a sports figure that has cash flow issues well about Congressmen and a President. That much more 'pressure?'

dallas72

Reaction score
This biggest take here IMO is we can probably say both sides are at $35M.

Didn't know the tag will be around $33M as Fish is reporting. Thought $27M was the number...
Hmm I just read QB tag is 28.3m

AtomicDog

Reaction score
then you’re not paying attention
This is what i saw: he QB's the top offense in the league, no 6 in scoring, has a personal career year and almost has a Dallas cowboy record passing year. Saw he don't produce defensive turnovers, saw he doesn't kick field goals, saw he doesn't punt, saw he had a coach that got fired.

garyv

Reaction score
This biggest take here IMO is we can probably say both sides are at $35M.

Didn't know the tag will be around $33M as Fish is reporting. Thought $27M was the number...

There are two tags. Transition 27 mil and exclusive 33 mil

StillluvRomo

Reaction score
We should learn from the mistakes the Rams and other teams have made when they signed a middling QB to a huge contract. Do you think they regret that contract now? Dak has not done anything to earn $35 mil/yr. If he was on another team, he would have never had the same opportunities that he has had in Dallas. When does Dallas do well.... We do our best when Dak has 1-2 tds, no turnovers and throws for about 250 yds. Bus driving at its best. Improve other parts of our team including coaching and I think we will be better off. I say transition tag him and get some other sucker to pay him. I doubt anyone would give up 2 1st round picks for him. Get a 1st and 3rd and use the extra 1st on a QB and pick up or trade for someone to play this year and use the rookie next year.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I have no idea what theyre doing with dak tbh

If you dont want him long term you should've traded him before the deadline this season.

Tag him? His price will be even more next offseason?!

Tag him again next offseason itll go up again.

Either way Dallas will have to overpay to keep him at this point.