Twitter: Fish thinks Cooper and DLaw are candidates for restructured deal

John813

Reaction score
Lawrence already has a void year at the end of his contract due to last years restructure. And his cap hit this year is 25 mil, 27mil next and 29mil the following year.

He's already getting expensive and with each restructure it makes it harder to get out of the deal early without more dead cap.

Cooper is a no brainer if they want more cap space this year with how much base salary he has.

Sydla

Reaction score
Cooper's deal was made for a restructure. It carried no real pain after the first two years. So if they want him around for a few more years, restructuring him is a no brainer................. unlike Elliott and his contract, which I fear they are going to mess with.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Definitely wouldn't say Cooper has underperformed
I did say "most."

However the argument could be made that with the teams depth at WR, the last draft and the one coming up producing a ton of good ones.....and the teams cap dollars being heavily skewed toward offense....that he is a cut candidate after this season.

John813

Reaction score
I don't see the connection here. If you restructure Coop and extend him while dropping him a sizeable bonus for doing so what does that have to do with re-signing Gallup. Lowering Coop's cap number likely improves the chances of keeping Gallup.

It lowers Coopers cap hit this year while increasing it the remaining 3 years. Potential void year not included.

Unless they are purely restructuring Coops deal to get more money "up front" rolled into the 2022 season to re-sign Gallup

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I think Cooper and Martin are the no-brainers. DLaw is a maybe. If it gets us a chance at a big upgrade at FS or DT, I am all for it.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
That little Stevie is a master of the cap. And look at the results.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Cooper's deal was made for a restructure. It carried no real pain after the first two years. So if they want him around for a few more years, restructuring him is a no brainer................. unlike Elliott and his contract, which I fear they are going to mess with.
They are desperate.....I just don't know how desperate....

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Restructures are part of the game. It's why teams build them into contracts. They are cyclical. In other words, that can they are kicking down the road keeps getting kicked down the road until the team chooses to stop kicking it.
And they are literally kicking the can down the road for when the salary cap is going to be much, much larger.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And they are literally kicking the can down the road for when the salary cap is going to be much, much larger.

That's definitely part of it. The coronavirus has caused a setback that's going to result in some unusual moves, because it's hard to plan for such things, but teams will mostly absorb it with restructures. They won't get out of any contracts that they didn't want to get out from under anyway, although a few tough decisions will need to be made. The owners will definitely try to use it as a reason to pay less in free agency, but that's because the owners are ... well, greedy. They didn't get where they are by wanting to give away a lot of money.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't see the connection here. If you restructure Coop and extend him while dropping him a sizeable bonus for doing so what does that have to do with re-signing Gallup. Lowering Coop's cap number likely improves the chances of keeping Gallup.

Gallup is not going to be kept because we have Cooper and Lamb and Gallup is going to be seeking No. 1 or No. 2 money. Financially, Dallas could keep him, but it's like the Byron Jones deal. Dallas didn't feel there was enough drop-off from him to the other corners on the roster to justify what he was seeking.

That's the way it goes. Lawrence and Elliott got big deals because Dallas felt they were worth it compared to either what they could get in the draft or what they had on the roster. It was never a question of having the money.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I commented in another thread that most if not all of their larger contracts are either underperforming or have injury concerns.

They are in a terrible spot in that way.

I fear they restructure just to compete now, its not enough, then need to pay the price down the road also.

Lmao they’re getting every cent out of DLaw and Coop, they are one of the few elite players on this team

Rayman70

Reaction score
I actually like Fisg..I would enjoy having a beer with the guy, but one thing I have learned, he really doesn't reveal much,if anything, because he doesn't know.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Lmao they’re getting every cent out of DLaw and Coop, they are one of the few elite players on this team
Lawrence plays very well against the run and is a good pressure type player. He is paid like a sack artist.

Cooper is fundamentally sound and is generally productive. But at 20M per when a solid ten WR are coming out of every draft?

I'm not at all arguing that each player is good....but can probably be replaced at cheaper rates than they get.