Video: Fisher: Coaching staff a little tired of Amari Cooper's unavailability

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
People really need to understand Cooper's contract. Cowboys fans are really misinformed about that $100MM contract despite the fact it's been said over and over here that it was largely a team friendly deal.

They can cut Cooper and save $16MM on the cap in 2022 if they want. All they have to eat beyond this season is $6MM in the prorated signing bonus. That's it.

It was actually a pretty good contract from the Cowboys perspective.

I initially thought they would let Gallup walk and keep Cooper but I am beginning to think the opposite may happen now. They may cut Cooper and sign Gallup. This assumes Lamb and Gallup play well enough in 2021.

Yep, and that's not a guarantee. Lamb played very well for a rookie and we know second year receivers often take a big jump in performance the second year, but then again teams have film on Lamb and division foes played him twice for the most part, so he isn't an unknown this year.

This has to be one of the biggest "player prove it" years I've ever seen with Dallas...

J-man

Reaction score
Not surprising or breaking news that a coaching staff would dislike a player taking his sweet time getting back into practices from an injury. Name a coaching staff that wouldn't, I'll wait...
I find Fish unwatchable, the start/stop action of his points in his videos is annoying and quite frankly most often his stuff is just obvious and pointless dribble in the end.

But anyone who thinks Cooper isn't our best WR and/or that thinks re-singing Gallup and cutting Coop is the best move for the team is just wrong. Sorry to be so blunt, I'm not tryin to piss anyone off. But it's the same old song we've seen a thousand times in the NFL. The best players create opportunities for other players and they shine, but when they get a chance to be "the man" they fail to repeat that success.

Not unlike the Zeke vs. Pollard arguments that are floating around. People see Pollard make a dynamic play here and there as the change of pace back and say hey, he should be the starter. But the truth is that he probably could never be the #1 guy. He is effective because he gets the ball so little that it's either unexpected or he's guarded by a lesser player on the defense. Defenses most likely would shut him down if he carried the ball more than 15 times a game and with his smaller stature he would probably get injured at a fairly high rate.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big Pollard and Gallup fan and want them both to succeed, in their roles on this team. Because they are very important roles for a team to be successful. But I honestly don't think either one of them would flourish as a true #1 in the NFL.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys have 15 receivers on the current roster, including a 6-2, 225 lb Brown. And don't forget Schultz, he can also be a possession receiver. They have plenty of "possession" receivers. Michael Irvin was 6-2 and 200, was as much a possession receiver as he was a no. 1, caught tons of tough and third down passes, so many of the current crop of receivers are of similar size.

At this point I'd go with who we have...
Now that you mention it...I concur!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yep, and that's not a guarantee. Lamb played very well for a rookie and we know second year receivers often take a big jump in performance the second year, but then again teams have film on Lamb and division foes played him twice for the most part, so he isn't an unknown this year.

This has to be one of the biggest "player prove it" years I've ever seen with Dallas...
disagree

he has nothing to prove as a second year player.. hes part of group not THE clear cut #1 and that lot of divided receptions..

film? really great players all around the league can be studied but never stopped unless you shift so many resource's their way it exposes the rest of your defense.. Moss played how long , still dont remember the league ever figured out how to shut him down without allowing the next guy to have career day..

I only want lamb to improve drops look ball into his hands before always trying to break the big one..outside of that he was great considering the spit balls with an offense in which the OC likes to spread it around and lets not forget 4 different qbs were used and he still got his stats..

CD has no pressure to prove anything to anyone IMHO..that FAN thing

if the day ever comes where AC is gone and Gallup leaves for bigger money and we use some fresh young receivers and make Ceedee THE GUY then yes pressure shifts to prove you can be the go to guy and beat doubles plays in and play out..at this point theres no way to know that as the defense has to pick who they double and one of our guys will destroy single coverage especially if Dak stays upright..

MaineBoy

Reaction score
To me, the “same song we’ve seen a thousand times” is Cooper being hurt or nicked up. He ends up being less effective or just unavailable. When you add in his disappearing act in road games and his aloof personality (instead of fire), you end up with a pretty compromised number 1 receiver. And not much value for the money. Now, the dude can run routes for sure and would be awesome if he was ever healthy and played with some passion. But that’s not what we get. And here we are again, with him being injured and having issues and the season hasn’t even started. Can we depend on him to play 17 games at a number 1 receiver level ? Not gonna happen. Again. We’d get better value from someone who we could count on even if they were less talented than Cooper. Cooper is the definition of talent unrealized. And I don’t even dislike him. It just is what it is.

Not surprising or breaking news that a coaching staff would dislike a player taking his sweet time getting back into practices from an injury. Name a coaching staff that wouldn't, I'll wait...
I find Fish unwatchable, the start/stop action of his points in his videos is annoying and quite frankly most often his stuff is just obvious and pointless dribble in the end.

But anyone who thinks Cooper isn't our best WR and/or that thinks re-singing Gallup and cutting Coop is the best move for the team is just wrong. Sorry to be so blunt, I'm not tryin to piss anyone off. But it's the same old song we've seen a thousand times in the NFL. The best players create opportunities for other players and they shine, but when they get a chance to be "the man" they fail to repeat that success.

Not unlike the Zeke vs. Pollard arguments that are floating around. People see Pollard make a dynamic play here and there as the change of pace back and say hey, he should be the starter. But the truth is that he probably could never be the #1 guy. He is effective because he gets the ball so little that it's either unexpected or he's guarded by a lesser player on the defense. Defenses most likely would shut him down if he carried the ball more than 15 times a game and with his smaller stature he would probably get injured at a fairly high rate.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big Pollard and Gallup fan and want them both to succeed, in their roles on this team. Because they are very important roles for a team to be successful. But I honestly don't think either one of them would flourish as a true #1 in the NFL.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
He’s been managing a foot (I guess it’s really an ankle injury) since he got here. So he finally had surgery for it and is rehabbing. It can take a year sometimes to recover, there’s no way he’s going to rush out to training camp or the preseason when he’s making 20m a year.

I get the frustration but it is what it is there’s no reason he should rush back. It does suck because he’s not going to be in shape for the season and he might get cut when the dead money works itself out but what are you gonna do get Davonte Adams and pay him 30m a year? Just try to get Fehoko, the TEs, and Pollard going. Gallup can play the #2 run the ball and play defense.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
To me, the “same song we’ve seen a thousand times” is Cooper being hurt or nicked up. He ends up being less effective or just unavailable. When you add in his disappearing act in road games and his aloof personality (instead of fire), you end up with a pretty compromised number 1 receiver. And not much value for the money. Now, the dude can run routes for sure and would be awesome if he was ever healthy and played with some passion. But that’s not what we get. And here we are again, with him being injured and having issues and the season hasn’t even started. Can we depend on him to play 17 games at a number 1 receiver level ? Not gonna happen. Again. We’d get better value from someone who we could count on even if they were less talented than Cooper. Cooper is the definition of talent unrealized. And I don’t even dislike him. It just is what it is.
92 catches last year with 4 different QB's. Yeah, he sucks. :facepalm:

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys are slowly getting to where the Raiders ended up with Cooper. The Raiders had enough and moved on. At $20 million a year, the Cowboys have a right to expect Cooper to get out on the practice field. Maybe he doesn't need the practice but this is a team sport.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The Cowboys are slowly getting to where the Raiders ended up with Cooper. The Raiders had enough and moved on. At $20 million a year, the Cowboys have a right to expect Cooper to get out on the practice field. Maybe he doesn't need the practice but this is a team sport.
Where did you see it was Coopers choice not to be practicing and not the coaches or team Dr.? I missed that.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't recall saying it mattered. The problem is he is not on the field practicing with his team. If he is injury prone, then why pay him to be a #1 receiver?

Chrissyboy

Reaction score
Fwiw, WR is not an area where I am worried. Many players in this modern era are imperfect but I'll take a player who shows up on the field and isn't great in training over vice versa. There are other concerns, right now.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
disagree

he has nothing to prove as a second year player.. hes part of group not THE clear cut #1 and that lot of divided receptions..

film? really great players all around the league can be studied but never stopped unless you shift so many resource's their way it exposes the rest of your defense.. Moss played how long , still dont remember the league ever figured out how to shut him down without allowing the next guy to have career day..

I only want lamb to improve drops look ball into his hands before always trying to break the big one..outside of that he was great considering the spit balls with an offense in which the OC likes to spread it around and lets not forget 4 different qbs were used and he still got his stats..

CD has no pressure to prove anything to anyone IMHO..that FAN thing

if the day ever comes where AC is gone and Gallup leaves for bigger money and we use some fresh young receivers and make Ceedee THE GUY then yes pressure shifts to prove you can be the go to guy and beat doubles plays in and play out..at this point theres no way to know that as the defense has to pick who they double and one of our guys will destroy single coverage especially if Dak stays upright..

My player prove it comment wasn't directed at Lamb so much as he has to prove he's a good receiver as it is to prove he can be a great receiver. He was 27th in receptions, 25th in yards, 53rd in yards per reception and 51st in touchdowns. Good for a rookie, but hardly one of the best receivers in the league. Of course he didn't have Dak for very long (though to some here Dak's a lousy quarterback so missing Dak doesn't mean anything, but I digress) and that had to slow him down.

With Cooper's constant nagging injuries and Gallup's probably commanding a price next year that Dallas can't afford, Cee Dee does need to prove he can be the no. 1 guy, imho.

Which is not only unfair to the kid, I don't put those expectations on him, he can only do what he can do, he needs a team around him like anybody. Maybe "prove" is not the right exact word, but if you think the pressure's not on him to "blossom" in his second year then I cannot agree with that at all...

MaineBoy

Reaction score

Didn’t say he sucked....English as a second language ? Try sounding out the words when you try to read them....oh, and you should call the Cowboy coaches and tell them they are wrong too...lol.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score

I think everything you said makes perfect sense. If you keep Pollard and Gallup as #1's, (naturally) enough film will be made available of them so their effectiveness would slowly but surely diminish.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

Catches by each quarter of 2020 season:

Games 1-4 37 catches

Games 5-8 17 catches

Games 9-12 22 catches

Games 13-16 16 catches

So of Cooper's 92 catches for the year, 37 of them were made in the first 4 weeks of the season which is 40.2%.....or an average of 9.25 catches per game in weeks 1-4.

The rest of the season, he had 55 catches over 12 weeks which is 59.8%.....or an average of 4.58 catches per game in weeks 5-16.

The point? He racked up a large amount of his catches in the first 4 weeks with Dak but then his catches per game dropped by 1/2 of what they were. Given his #1 status and money paid you would think he would have stepped it up more when Dak went out with injury to elevate the team.

(in case you were wondering Gallup went from averaging 3.25 catches per game in weeks 1-4 to 3.83 catches per game; Lamb went from 5.25 catches per game in weeks 1-4 to 4.42 catches per game; Schultz went from averaging 4.5 catches per game in weeks 1-4 to 3.75 catches per game.......so Gallup increased his catches by roughly .50 per game, Lamb decreased his catches by roughly .75 per game, and Schultz decreased his catches by roughly .75 per game........so nobody saw a dramatic change in their production like Cooper did)

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Didn’t say he sucked....English as a second language ? Try sounding out the words when you try to read them....oh, and you should call the Cowboy coaches and tell them they are wrong too...lol.

You said he pretty much sucked:

To me, the “same song we’ve seen a thousand times” is Cooper being hurt or nicked up. He ends up being less effective or just unavailable. When you add in his disappearing act in road games and his aloof personality (instead of fire), you end up with a pretty compromised number 1 receiver. And not much value for the money.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Catches by each quarter of 2020 season:

Games 1-4 37 catches

Games 5-8 17 catches

Games 9-12 22 catches

Games 13-16 16 catches

So of Cooper's 92 catches for the year, 37 of them were made in the first 4 weeks of the season which is 40.2%.....or an average of 9.25 catches per game in weeks 1-4.

The rest of the season, he had 55 catches over 12 weeks which is 59.8%.....or an average of 4.58 catches per game in weeks 5-16.

The point? He racked up a large amount of his catches in the first 4 weeks with Dak but then his catches per game dropped by 1/2 of what they were. Given his #1 status and money paid you would think he would have stepped it up more when Dak went out with injury to elevate the team.

(in case you were wondering Gallup went from averaging 3.25 catches per game in weeks 1-4 to 3.83 catches per game; Lamb went from 5.25 catches per game in weeks 1-4 to 4.42 catches per game; Schultz went from averaging 4.5 catches per game in weeks 1-4 to 3.75 catches per game.......so Gallup increased his catches by roughly .50 per game, Lamb decreased his catches by roughly .75 per game, and Schultz decreased his catches by roughly .75 per game........so nobody saw a dramatic change in their production like Cooper did)
You're trying to argue that 92 catches aren't good? You haters will go to extreme lengths to make yourself look ignorant. :lmao:

khiladi

Reaction score
You lost all credibility when you said Romo worked hard in the off season. Remember what even his daddy Jerry Jones said after Romo signed his mega contract. We now expect "Peyton Manning-type time". So what was his commitment prior, and he never gave "Peyton Manning-type time". This frustrated Dez, and T.O. about Romo.

https://www.foxsports.com/arizona/s...-from-romo-after-big-contract-052513?amp=true

That isn’t what the article actually meant. What Jerry was talking about was Romo having influence over the offense, which he actually forced via contract negotiations. Peyton Manning basically ran the offense and that is in no way a slight on Romo or did it have to do with “Romo not wanting it”. Garrett didn’t even have Romo in game-planning meetings. This was actually the first step of Garrett being stripped of play-calling duties. It was the Garrett lackeys that tried to spin it into sorting different. Jerry in fact made this clear again in 2014 when Linehan was brought here, that they no longer want Garrett to touch the offense.

https://www.nfl.com/news/is-tony-romo-an-offensive-coordinator-in-training-0ap1000000220475

King added that Romo will attend game plan meetings this season and have input on plays that will go into each week's game plan. That checks out with what owner/general manager Jerry Jones said about Romo in May.

"The people who are around him the most, his coaches, tell me he's never had a bad idea," Jones said. "So if you think about it, where he is right now, he's 10 years older than most of the players that are out on that field. We think his skill level is very much right where we hoped it would be for several years to come.

"But what we want to use more than we ever have, is the kind of thing that (Roger) Staubach contributed on the field," Jones added. "Real input into designing a plan that helps beat that opponent."

blueblood70

Reaction score
My player prove it comment wasn't directed at Lamb so much as he has to prove he's a good receiver as it is to prove he can be a great receiver. He was 27th in receptions, 25th in yards, 53rd in yards per reception and 51st in touchdowns. Good for a rookie, but hardly one of the best receivers in the league. Of course he didn't have Dak for very long (though to some here Dak's a lousy quarterback so missing Dak doesn't mean anything, but I digress) and that had to slow him down.

With Cooper's constant nagging injuries and Gallup's probably commanding a price next year that Dallas can't afford, Cee Dee does need to prove he can be the no. 1 guy, imho.

Which is not only unfair to the kid, I don't put those expectations on him, he can only do what he can do, he needs a team around him like anybody. Maybe "prove" is not the right exact word, but if you think the pressure's not on him to "blossom" in his second year then I cannot agree with that at all...
with 4 qbs on a bad team with two other options aside him ..for the 3rd option that was more then solid season..who was the best wr on the eagles, giants and philly..bet lambs were close as third option, pretty solid given the circumstances......

MaineBoy

Reaction score
You said he pretty much sucked:

So I didn’t say he sucked but you spin it to say I “pretty much” said something I didn’t. Is this you doing fake news ? I was pretty balanced in saying I didn’t dislike him, he can definitely run routes, he would be awesome if not for injuries, and I don’t dislike him. And I said he was talented. But I also pointed out his limitations. See this is where you go off the rails Rocky; what I said was balanced, but your reaction never is. I really do want to be your friend.