Fisher: Cowboys people thinks Griffin would have to relearn position to be a QB here

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Their approach to filling the backup quarterback position and their choice at #4 will show me if they think a winning franchise is built by a series of transactions or a series of investments.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
There are just many things a QB must do well to play in the NFL. Virtually every offense is a variant of the vertical offense. But there is enough flexibility to help play to the strengths of any QB.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I
Honestly, I think Garrett needs a true offensive guru. Someone like Norv Turner who has perfected a philosophy and system that is time tested and proven, a system he knows inside and out and trusts explicitly but is still able to see ways to improve. A guy like Norv, but without the HC aspirations. Someone like Tom Moore (currently in AZ) who practically resurrected Palmer's career because he is not about systems, but about people. Moore is like Yoda for offense. About as old too.

Moore has developed QBs from Terry Bradshaw to Peyton Manning. He was the first OC to have TWO WRs with 1,000 reception yards in same season. Moore is a big believer in the vertical offense but he's seen every offense there is and is even more about adapting systems to suit the strengths of the players. Not the other way around.

Garrett needs a guy like Moore who will set him straight when he is stubborn about something he is so inexperienced with - coaching, game planning and play calling. Garrett would have no choice but to listen to a guy like Moore, who EARNED 3 SB wins with 2 teams. And not by doing it ONE way but any and all ways.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...-assistant-coach-tom-moore-still-going-strong
I think some are over reacting.

To me it is more a thinly veiled admission they want a roolie QB they can start fresh with..

not have to unlearn then reprogram like RG3.

I think it makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that they are not going to take a QB at 4.

They will take one at rd 4 because it will be better value.

Right.

rpntex

Reaction score
If the QB has to relearn his position to play it then something is wrong with the staff.

I'm not necessarily advocating getting Griffin, but good coaches adapt to the personnel.
If the Cowboys staff is saying it can't adapt, it's an admission that last year's QB struggles had just as much or more to do with them as they did with Weeden and Cassel.

This has nothing to do with the staff, or Garrett's offense, and everything to do with the fact that RG3 has been in a zone-read offense since HS. Even Washington adapted what they did his rookie year to a read-based scheme. He makes a pre-snap read, and if it isn't there, he's off and running. That's one read - singular. He's going to have to relearn (or possibly just learn) the QB position in any offense that isn't a read offense.

As a traditional "pocket" QB, RG3 sucks. Yet somehow, that is Garrett's fault.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the staff, or Garrett's offense, and everything to do with the fact that RG3 has been in a zone-read offense since HS. Even Washington adapted what they did his rookie year to a read-based scheme. He makes a pre-snap read, and if it isn't there, he's off and running. That's one read - singular. He's going to have to relearn (or possibly just learn) the QB position in any offense that isn't a read offense.

As a traditional "pocket" QB, RG3 sucks. Yet somehow, that is Garrett's fault.

Garrett and Linehan have no fault when it comes to RG3. Their fault lies with all the other back up QBs that they completely and utterly failed to develop during their tenure in Dallas. I don't see that changing anytime soon, whether it is a 1st round QB or an undrafted free agent.

Garrett, Linehan and Wilson are such epic failures in this area that people are scrambling around trying to make excuses because such incompetence is unusual in the NFL, never mind in one of the preeminent franchises in all of sports history.

KB1122

Reaction score
The last four NFC champions had quarterbacks who ran for 500ish yards on the season. Maybe it's the Cowboys staff that needs to re-learn the NFL quarterback position.

KB1122

Reaction score
I mean, if Linehan is unwilling to learn new things that are working for other teams, maybe it's time to retire.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Garrett and Linehan have no fault when it comes to RG3. Their fault lies with all the other back up QBs that they completely and utterly failed to develop during their tenure in Dallas. I don't see that changing anytime soon, whether it is a 1st round QB or an undrafted free agent.

Garrett, Linehan and Wilson are such epic failures in this area that people are scrambling around trying to make excuses because such incompetence is unusual in the NFL, never mind in one of the preeminent franchises in all of sports history.

Didn't Wilson help develop Romo. And didn't Romo do pretty well in 2014 with them. Not a Garrett fan but he has had decent offenses when he has had a healthy supporting cast to work with. I personally think he could do a bit better but that's a guess and easily wrong.

If Romo is healthy this year and the offense fails then Garrett should be fired.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Didn't Wilson help develop Romo. And didn't Romo do pretty well in 2014 with them. Not a Garrett fan but he has had decent offenses when he has had a healthy supporting cast to work with. I personally think he could do a bit better but that's a guess and easily wrong.

If Romo is healthy this year and the offense fails then Garrett should be fired.

Wilson didn't develop Romo. Romo was already a starter and in the league 4 years, guided team to playoffs and earned pro bowl spot by time Wilson was hired. Wilson's first season as Romo's QB coach he was suspended for first third of the season. It was QB coach David Lee, Passing Coordinator Sean Payton and the Tuna himself who developed Romo. Heck, Sparano had more to do with Romo's early years than Wade.

As for 2014, I'm going to give the lion's share of credit to Romo for Romo and the Cowboys success. Look at it in this context, under Parcells and Wade, Romo was a pro bowl QB and perennially in the playoffs. Garrett leads the team for 6 seasons and Romo's pro bowls and playoff appearances dry up like a desiccated old hag.

Last edited:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Wilson didn't develop Romo. Romo was already a starter and in the league 4 years, guided team to playoffs and earned pro bowl spot by time Wilson was hired. Wilson's first season as Romo's QB coach he was suspended for first third of the season. It was QB coach David Lee, Passing Coordinator Sean Payton and the Tuna himself who developed Romo. Heck, Sparano had more to do with Romo's early years than Wade.

As for 2014, I'm going to give the lion's share of credit to Romo for Romo and the Cowboys success. Look at it in this context, under Parcells and Wade, Romo was a pro bowl QB and perennially in the playoffs. Garrett leads the team for 6 seasons and Romo's pro bowls and playoff appearances dry up like a desiccated old hag.

Wilson has been the QB coach here since 2000 except for three years with the Bears returning in 2007. Romo became the starter DURING the 2006 season. So yes others helped Tony but Wade has coached him all of his career starts but 10 in the 2006 season.

That puts a different light on it doesn't it?

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Doesnt matter who the backup is. Romo goes down for 4 or more games the season is done.

I disagree, if you have a capable backup QB, and you lose Romo for 4 games, maybe you can go 2-2 and still save your season.