Fisher: Cowboys people thinks Griffin would have to relearn position to be a QB here

fortdick

Reaction score
of course not.

all teams build around 1 qb. no other qb could possibly back up romo so why get one?

ive seen the error of my unclear thinking. building around ONE player is clearly the preferred method.

Don't get snippy, you said they didn't plan for their talent. I pointed out they did. You want themto plan for a talent they don;t even have, that is what is wrong

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Re-learn? I wasn't aware he had learned it to begin with.

That's the thing.

He was all about "I know it all" and "I want these plays and not these plays" = fail

Now, he has to relearn. He didn't even want to learn when coming into league. How can he relearn.

The only thing he can do for us is be a backup and scramble and maybe make some plays and lean on running game.

Nothing more.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I wonder how Garrett and Linehan would have treated Romo if he were the backup? Would Garrett have benched Bledsoe at halftime and put Romo in?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

No good news for Griffin crowd

Bollocks!
RGIII does not have to re-learn the position.
From what I hear, mates and wards of the court, is that RGIII just needs to re-learn the fundamentals, especially footwork.
Re-learning the position and re-learning the fundamentals are two distinct things.
I am off to the pub. The owner has pot roast and pickled eggs to go with the Guinness tonight, mates!

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Wilson has been the QB coach here since 2000 except for three years with the Bears returning in 2007. Romo became the starter DURING the 2006 season. So yes others helped Tony but Wade has coached him all of his career starts but 10 in the 2006 season.

That puts a different light on it doesn't it?

Wilson was here BEFORE Romo, from 2000 to 2002, then Parcells cut that cord and sent him packing. Romo wasn't a Cowboy until 2003 and Wilson did not return to do anything of substance until some time in 2007 (5 games deep into the season) and Romo was already breaking records as a Cowboy under Parcells then Phillips. Garrett and Sporano shared OC duties in that pivotal 2007 season.

Wilson did jack in Chicago and has not done much more in Dallas. That Parcells did not favor him, but Jerry does is quite revealing isn't it?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Wilson was here BEFORE Romo, from 2000 to 2002, then Parcells cut that cord and sent him packing. Romo wasn't a Cowboy until 2003 and Wilson did not return to do anything of substance until some time in 2007 (5 games deep into the season) and Romo was already breaking records as a Cowboy under Parcells then Phillips. Garrett and Sporano shared OC duties in that pivotal 2007 season.

Wilson did jack in Chicago and has not done much more in Dallas. That Parcells did not favor him, but Jerry does is quite revealing isn't it?

You're not even reading what I'm saying. I said that. Wilson was here all of 2007. Romo started the last 10 games of 2006. Interesting Wilson came back when Parcells left. Wilson helped Rex Grossman to 13 wins which to me says a lot great defense or not.

You're making Wilson out to be dung when it's obvious to most that his longevity with Romo says reams. Jerry doesn't keep a QB coach that Romo doesn't like.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
You're not even reading what I'm saying. I said that. Wilson was here all of 2007. Romo started the last 10 games of 2006. Interesting Wilson came back when Parcells left. Wilson helped Rex Grossman to 13 wins which to me says a lot great defense or not.

You're making Wilson out to be dung when it's obvious to most that his longevity with Romo says reams. Jerry doesn't keep a QB coach that Romo doesn't like.

Not sure Grossman is an example of how good a QB coach Wilson has been. Grossman had ONE successful season. And it wasn't the offense that drove that Bears team to the SB, it was the defense and ST.

As for Romo liking or not liking Wilson, who knows. All I know is that Romo has repeatedly credited Lee, Payton and Parcells for the player he's become. Never have I heard him credit Wilson or Garrett for his development or success. He's given some love to Linehan last season but in all the years with Garrett and Wilson, nothing. That is significant for a person as generous and genial as Romo.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
If the QB has to relearn his position to play it then something is wrong with the staff.

I'm not necessarily advocating getting Griffin, but good coaches adapt to the personnel.
If the Cowboys staff is saying it can't adapt, it's an admission that last year's QB struggles had just as much or more to do with them as they did with Weeden and Cassel.

Adapt to personnel and their strengths. Put them in a position to succeed. Do not attempt to force a square peg into a round hole. No 2 players are the same.
I never quite understood why some coaches are hell bent on locking down players. I've seen this happen at the college level all the time. You're not changing your philosophy or style, just molding it a bit to work within want you're wanting. Who knows, maybe Garrett-top has tried this and it just didn't work out like he wanted........

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Adapt to personnel and their strengths. Put them in a position to succeed. Do not attempt to force a square peg into a round hole. No 2 players are the same.
I never quite understood why some coaches are hell bent on locking down players. I've seen this happen at the college level all the time. You're not changing your philosophy or style, just molding it a bit to work within want you're wanting. Who knows, maybe Garrett-top has tried this and it just didn't work out like he wanted........

and that's what i'm just not smart enough to know. it does seem to me he has a system and he expects his players to play according to HIS way of winning.

that is ONE style of coaching to be sure but i hate that style. at that point RKG means nothing about character but more "can he be what i need to get what i want done".

i think a much better coach will, as you say, have a goal and methods, but *he* is the one who changes *how* the players are used in order to adjust to how the game is played. his way *seems* more to be to keep pushing in the same way until he's the last one standing. when he has players not used to that, or who are NOT the skills he needs to get *his* way done, we as a team fail.

we as a team develop drama issues.

we as a team feel the need to buy monkies to pass the time.

i've been open to NOT changing to see if his way works but at this point, the odds of the square peg ever fitting "good enough" into the round hole to win it all are just too remote and getting further away with each loss.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
We just need to draft Wentz and be done with it.

He's a perfect fit.

I think if he would be the pick it wouldn't be hard to get coaches to come and be interested with the simple fact they would have a high ceiling guy to work with.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Really how many times is Fisher way off track or the information just plain wrong. And who are his supposed sources of Cowboy people, heck all of us (fans) are Cowboy people and as much as I might believe I know what is best for the Boys, I am sure they could give a hoot about it.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Fisher might want to delete out the "re" from that statement. I don't know if RGIII can ever become more than a Read Option wonder.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Good to hear this is how the Cowboys are thinking. I didn't want Manziel or RGIII. Would rather sign a decent backup while drafting a potential franchise QB.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-holding-out-hope-for-possible-griffin-trade/

SatisfiedHopefulHerald.gif

michael-scott-no.gif

NumOneQB

Reaction score
I don't understand why all the hate for RG3? He's not a bad guy or locker room cancer. Cowboys absolutely need a veteran backup QB since we know the FO is heading into 2016 thinking 2015 was just a fluke year filled with injuries. Jerruh has come out already saying Romo has 5 good years remaining. I think Jerruh is nuts for thinking this, but it's the reality of the situation. This team is going to draft an "immediate impact player" (questionable considering the FO) in the 1st on the defensive side of the ball. I'm fairly certain Jerruh will draft a QB, but it will be in the later rounds.
If he doesn't fit the offense, fire Linehan. We all have seen how they handled Cassell & Weeden. That was enough in my book to send everyone involved in the QB position packing.