Fisher: Manziel top-rated QB on Cowboys board

reddyuta

Reaction score
I want Manziel but I don't want to trade up for him,don't do it jerry.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, if we take Manziel, what are you doing with Romo?

You aren't drafting Manziel to sit him for 2-3 years behind Romo. If you blew your first round pick on Manziel and then sat him behind Romo that would be a truly waste of your first round pick. So if Jones has visions of getting Manziel, is 2014 the last year for Romo (or maybe this is a sign they are more worried about his back than they let on)?

If Romo is healthy he is our QB for at least the next two seasons. This scenario would be a lot like Favre/Rogers. Manziel will be on the bench for his first couple of years. That's probably a good thing.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
yes, he is.
manziel is a ticket seller and franchise face.
he has value galore.

a team's system isn't a big deal because teams drafting top 10 are looking for change in most cases.

manziel is every bit the player rg3 was.

as to the "other stuff" you can forget all that noise. clowney basically spent and entire year avoiding any effort ot hard work and trying to stay injury free yet is a number 1 pick. , manziel spent two years absolutely shredding future NFL players.

He is not a fit for a vertical offense. He needs to play in a spread type of offense. I do admit teams run more of a hybrid vertical but we are still mostly a timing offense.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He is not a fit for a vertical offense. He needs to play in a spread type of offense. I do admit teams run more of a hybrid vertical but we are still mostly a timing offense.

you build offenses around franchise QBs.
Johnny showed he could throw the ball up deep plenty to Mike Evans versus the best DB conference in football.

in fact the best DB university in the known universe was obliterated by Manziel two years in a row.

he gives teams wiht NFL talent trouble because his quickness and arm strength are outliers.
he is basically michael vick but with more passing camps under his belt as a kid.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
yes, he is.
manziel is a ticket seller and franchise face.
he has value galore.

a team's system isn't a big deal because teams drafting top 10 are looking for change in most cases.

manziel is every bit the player rg3 was.

as to the "other stuff" you can forget all that noise. clowney basically spent and entire year avoiding any effort ot hard work and trying to stay injury free yet is a number 1 pick. , manziel spent two years absolutely shredding future NFL players.

I am not saying Manziel does not have value, nor that he is not worthy of a top 10 choice. It is just that I do not believe most teams are willing to assume a player, especially a QB, and turn over their entire offensive structure to fit them. Some of these teams that "need" a QB in the top ten might be adverse to the risk and the extra work involved. That is why it is so difficult to project where Manziel goes simply because he is one of those prospects that may not be for everyone.

The celebrity QB thing is something a lot of teams will ignore to sell tickets. Others are more conservative. These GMs and coaches are into self-preservation and not every one is going to swing for the fences. Manziel carries that kind of risk.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I heard Fisher discussing this in depth on the radio.

His point was that people mention Dallas and then ......."dot-dot-dot"....Manziel, and everyone fills in the gaps assuming Dallas would draft him.

He said ALL it means (and nothing more) is that he is probably the top QB on their board and if
(1) by some wild chance he fell to 16 (never would they trade up) AND
(2) Dallas had no other worthy players to pick at positions of greater need AND
(3) could not trade down, then they would have to at least consider him.

He joked that all of those if's and disclaimers are ignored by the press and fans...and people delete it and say Dallas wants to draft Manziel--which is not true.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I am not saying Manziel does not have value, nor that he is not worthy of a top 10 choice. It is just that I do not believe most teams are willing to assume a player, especially a QB, and turn over their entire offensive structure to fit them. Some of these teams that "need" a QB in the top ten might be adverse to the risk and the extra work involved. That is why it is so difficult to project where Manziel goes simply because he is one of those prospects that may not be for everyone.

The celebrity QB thing is something a lot of teams will ignore to sell tickets. Others are more conservative. These GMs and coaches are into self-preservation and not every one is going to swing for the fences. Manziel carries that kind of risk.

I understand and what you are saying in basically correct.
The problem is you ignore the largest overriding factor, which is a player goes to a single team who values him most.
Manziel has elite value and is the top QB on at least a handful of boards including Dallas (who doesn't want a QB so evaluated them non-biasedly).

I honestly do not believe Manziel makes it out of the top 5 picks.
He will sell the most jerseys in football next year.

QB is the hardest piece in the NFL to find. If you get one you build the offense around them.
How long have we been Romo-friendly??

How long was Payton given a clean bill of health in Denver before they made him the starting QB AND de facto offensive coordinator?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
which is the system half the NFL will be emulating in 2 years... and only one team can do so with the "perfect" fit at QB.

I doubt half the teams will be running a spread offense like Philly. You have to have the players to run it well. But I do agree teams are running more timing and some kind of offense in space hybrid. You have to have both to get the matchups you want week to week and keep teams honest.

WhizKid

Reaction score
Too much hype and revealing their hand. They're forcing someone to trade up, so that someone else falls, or one of the teams with two first rounders takes him with their first pick and someone falls.
They love someone every year, only to never ever take them.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
There is actually a rumor out there too about this. I find it hard to believe after the year that Foles had last season.

I don't see why although Manziel fits it better than Foles. Just proves don't turn the ball over and run the offense well. You don't have to run to be successful. I admit I love a QB who can pass first and then run if needed. It's generally better for most QBs not to run too much. It's a hazard.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I doubt half the teams will be running a spread offense like Philly. You have to have the players to run it well. But I do agree teams are running more timing and some kind of offense in space hybrid. You have to have both to get the matchups you want week to week and keep teams honest.

75% of college teams run that style so getting players isn't an issue.
It is coaches adapting.
And that will happen as guys who know this stuff will get hired all over the league.

Emphasis in the NFL is on more explosion plays and acrobatics and less physicality. Less head trauma/injuries from banging in the clenches.

Spread football(in old days of a couple years ago called 2 minute football) makes money.

RBs are a dime a dozen and may not see one drafted til round 3 but 10 WRs will go top 2 rounds.

KB1122

Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, if we take Manziel, what are you doing with Romo?

You aren't drafting Manziel to sit him for 2-3 years behind Romo. If you blew your first round pick on Manziel and then sat him behind Romo that would be a truly waste of your first round pick. So if Jones has visions of getting Manziel, is 2014 the last year for Romo (or maybe this is a sign they are more worried about his back than they let on)?

If Romo beats him out, then good for Romo. But if Manziel turns out to be an all-everything quarterback, then he isn't going to sit for 2 or 3 years. We'll just have a really expensive backup. But that's OK b/c we would have a cheap starter.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Too much hype and revealing their hand. They're forcing someone to trade up, so that someone else falls, or one of the teams with two first rounders takes him with their first pick and someone falls.
They love someone every year, only to never ever take them.

Was thinking that as well.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dallas would have taken Andrew Luck as well if he had fallen to them.
This is just them being honest about the top QB on their board.
They can be honest because they know he won't be there at 16 to matter, lol.

Passing Manziel is like passing Randy Moss. It has the ability to haunt you for a decade.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
you build offenses around franchise QBs.
Johnny showed he could throw the ball up deep plenty to Mike Evans versus the best DB conference in football.

in fact the best DB university in the known universe was obliterated by Manziel two years in a row.

he gives teams wiht NFL talent trouble because his quickness and arm strength are outliers.
he is basically michael vick but with more passing camps under his belt as a kid.

I appreciate your thoughts but I just don't agree with you about him completely. I see boom or bust all over this guy. I agree he has a NFL arm but he's not going to be able to play like he did in college. The NFL is too quick and fast for him not to mention getting hurt doing it...eventually....likely sooner than later.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Interesting statement, never really thought of them in the same mold. You think they are very comparable?

Of course. Both texas kids. Both recruited to play DB at UT, lol.

Both ran spread offenses in college but had NFL caliber arms.

Manziel probably a little more celebrity but really very similar players. Elite, elite athletes who've played QB their whole life and are committed to it for the rest of their careers.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He doesn't fit what we do here, I agree. We also aren't changing the offense anytime soon because we can not even think about cutting Romo till 2017. Perhaps we could trade him but I doubt I even doubt that. This offense will be what Romo wants for the immediate future. That's a vertical game with lots of routes down field. Heck, we don't throw the short stuff much as it is. I just don't see Manziel as a good fit for us. However, I don't see that stopping Jerry either. It could happen but it would not be a good thing if it did IMO.

KB1122

Reaction score
The other thing ... I figure JF is the No. 1 qb on most boards. I suspect there are a lot fewer questions about Manziel among actual NFL personnel people than there are among the media.