Fix the DL before spending money at Safety

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
as it stands today the DL would be the worst in the NFL by a landslide.

DLaw does not plan on playing on the tag.

No 2nd round or 3rd round DL is going to come in day 1 and cause real havoc.

There’s no NFL caliber RE (Crawford is a 3T), or LE and the 1T and 3T are league average at best.

Yes there is a long way to go but stop getting upset about the safeties not signing and start seeing what vet 4-3 DL are available. I don’t know of many.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
At least if they signed a FA to shore up safety, it would be some progress instead of doing nothing. Not only are we apparently not serious about fixing multiple positions, it appears we have no interest, once again, in fixing any position unless it's through the draft (which won't happen this year).

Mr_437

Reaction score

There’s no NFL caliber RE (Crawford is a 3T), or LE and the 1T and 3T are league average at best.

Yes there is a long way to go but stop getting upset about the safeties not signing and start seeing what vet 4-3 DL are available. I don’t know of many.
I agree, fix the trenches. Sign DLaw then go get a DT or two. Safety market too rich for DAL anyway.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree, fix the trenches. Sign DLaw then go get a DT or two. Safety market too rich for DAL anyway.
Should've got a safety last year when the market bottomed out but they waited. Now it flipped on them.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
FA has not started yet so let's take it easy. Not one player we were linked to has signed in principle anywhere else.

I agree about the D-line, especially pass rusher. D-line and safety are both great needs. There are and will be some pass rusher in FA and at DT there isn't many worth the money. Safety is still loaded in FA and the draft is loaded on the D-Line where I think we can get a very good DT with our second.

The safeties I would think we would want, Earl Thomas(1, but at what price?) and Adrian Amos (2, young, not ET but polished talent and predicted to come at around $8 million per) are still around.

Last edited:

slick325

Reaction score
It really is possible to do both (draft well AND use free agency well). Sign ET, sign Tank Lawrence AND improve the DL via the draft. Sounds novel but it truly is possible. DT and the DL as a whole are strengths in the Draft. Dallas has two 4th rounders, they can even move up in the 2nd to land the starting 3tech their line desperately needs.

The narrative they are pushing is being bought hook, line and sinker by a fan base that no longer seems desperate for a Super Bowl any longer. 23 years of no NFC Championship appearances and buying the Jonses boys propaganda will do that I guess.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dline is a huge issue that's being ignored. Even if they keep dlaw the dline is meh. The way things stand now Dallas wont have him playing or get picks for him. Then really how is the dline. Theyll draft dline and sign backups.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to Fans Antwan Woods is a beast.

Which fans? That one guy with the tin foil hat that gets 30 minutes of computer time at “The Home” every other day? Otherwise I’m not seeing people calling him a beast.

CCBoy

Reaction score

I don't see this as an element to play around with. This team right now, needs both a free agent defensive tackle and safety...and a top level drafted pair of defensive tackle and safety as well.

The draft is as important for the progression of today's team, as is the top shelf tackle and safety for today's team.

Jerry and Stephen, are you listening to sound reasoning and not personal pride?

nobody

Reaction score
Just when you thought the front office learned the lesson of games being won at the lines..... :facepalm:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just when you thought the front office learned the lesson of games being won at the lines..... :facepalm:
As Yogi Berra once said, “its getting late early."

Now is the time to sign Lawrence and put faith in what developed internally...either that, or change who is developing up the team on the field.

Then add a safety and defensive tackle.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

It's still possible to sign Lawrence and Thomas. I understand why people don't have faith in this front office, but neither door is closed yet.

dallas72

Reaction score

Malcolm Brown or Danny Sheldon or Richardon a few good Free Agents

John813

Reaction score
Should do both.

Make any FA deal really only two years guaranteed and try to make the SB now before the ELCs run out for your core. Besides, the 1st and 2nd years of the new big contracts for your QB, DE, etc can be artificially low in order to pay for some FAs.

By the time the contract for Dak gets "big" you can cut the FA with little dead cap.