Fix the DL before spending money at Safety

Sydla

Reaction score
Would not be shocked if they double or triple dipped in the DT or DE department in this draft.
Problem is if Rod will step up and fight for an actual top end player instead of just taking whoever at the end of the draft. Also have to wonder how much influence Richard will have in this draft and how much emphasis he will be putting on the Dline during this draft.

I would imagine if Richard stood up on the proverbial table to fight for a DE and or DT that they would listen.

Time will tell.

But does double or triple dipping at DL in the draft help the 2019 season? Probably not. Rookies take time to develop.

It's downright peculiar with all the issues they have at DL right now that they simply show no desire to add anyone that has a bit of talent in FA.

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
Marinelli does not like the "big fat uglies". He is all about the quick twitch and if you don't have it don't come on down.

GRRRRRRRRRR........our quick twitch Dline was mashed up and down the field vs the Rams. Just brutal to watch and we've gotten worse. A LOT worse.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But does double or triple dipping at DL in the draft help the 2019 season? Probably not. Rookies take time to develop.

It's downright peculiar with all the issues they have at DL right now that they simply show no desire to add anyone that has a bit of talent in FA.

You get the right two players whether that be two DTs in the middle or a DT and a DE and it can indeed make a difference.

The problem is getting those players vs just waiting till the 7th and getting joe blow who might have a never ending engine but the engine is a low quality 3 cylinder when you need a high performance 8 cylinder engine vehicle that can burn tires and hug the turns or a huge diesel machine that is a bull dozer going up the middle and not letting anything by it.

That will be up, IMO, to whether Richard has a major say in things and or if Rod just sits back and waits for an effort guy that does not have the high end engine.

Unless one of the top 2-3 TEs fall to them at 58...I think they pass on TE.
If they don't get ET, which frankly I am flip flopping on as other teams sign other Safeties...than maybe they take a top S with their first pick.

However I have a feeling that they want to take a top DT/DE (and one should be there as DTs at the very least look like a strong group this year) with the 58th pick if it works out they way they want to.

It Took The ginger to get Jerry to start investing in Oline in the draft at the top picks. Maybe it will take Richard to get them to invest more in the Dline even if Rod does not see the need for it.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
as it stands today the DL would be the worst in the NFL by a landslide.

DLaw does not plan on playing on the tag.

No 2nd round or 3rd round DL is going to come in day 1 and cause real havoc.

There’s no NFL caliber RE (Crawford is a 3T), or LE and the 1T and 3T are league average at best.

Yes there is a long way to go but stop getting upset about the safeties not signing and start seeing what vet 4-3 DL are available. I don’t know of many.

https://goo.gl/images/1q5J9q

LittleD

Reaction score
GRRRRRRRRRR........our quick twitch Dline was mashed up and down the field vs the Rams. Just brutal to watch and we've gotten worse. A LOT worse.

Doesn't matter to the Cowboys FO or they would have sent Marinelli packing this year. Marinelli controls the DL and he's too old a dog to change
now.

boysfaninMI

Reaction score

How is it peculiar? I mean, if anything it's consistent with what they've done in recent years. JJ and his boy like to make money.....PERIOD.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

There’s no NFL caliber RE (Crawford is a 3T), or LE and the 1T and 3T are league average at best.

Yes there is a long way to go but stop getting upset about the safeties not signing and start seeing what vet 4-3 DL are available. I don’t know of many.

Clearly our two biggest needs at the moment are S and DL. At safety its probably Earl or bust. Maybe Tre Boston, but dont know if the Cowboys have interest. At DE there's Ansah, Wake, Curry, and Golden left as the top options. Remaining DT options include, Suh, Jernigan, Shelton, and Wilkerson. Most likely DL gets addressed in what is a deep draft, but guys like Wake, Golden, Shelton, and Wilkerson all interest me on short term deals that aren't likely to break the bank.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Fix with what is the question. Ends seems better than DT.

DE - Justin Houston, Ezekiel Ansah, Shaq Barrett, Cameron Wake
DT - Darius Philon, Christian Covington, Brent Urban, Tyeler Davison, Carl Davis

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I do agree that you build in the trenches. On defense building the DL is most important.........or is it a myth.

Last season KC was top 3 to 5 in sacks but was like the 31st total defense.

I'm starting to think you need a playmaker at every level of your defense. We have D Law......for now, at LB we have 2 with Leighton and Jaylon but the secondary doesn't have that playmaker. Perhaps Xavier Woods will turn into that guy and while Byron is very good in coverage he doesn't get turnovers.

The more i think this the more i want to trade Lawrence and sign a few guys to have a good and deep rotation.

Let's say we bring in a Robert Quinn and Houston, Suh/Logan/Jernigan.....any DT and also add a guy like Earl or Boston at safety. Overall the defense could be better even though Lawrence is the better pass rusher overall. You can add whichever names you want but the point is having a better balanced defense over putting 20 plus million a year into one player.

Sydla

Reaction score
Fix with what is the question. Ends seems better than DT.

DE - Justin Houston, Ezekiel Ansah, Shaq Barrett, Cameron Wake
DT - Darius Philon, Christian Covington, Brent Urban, Tyeler Davison, Carl Davis

Wake might be cheap and worth a flier. I'd also grab Houston at DE and either Davison or Covington at DT.

But who we kidding? Not one guy you listed will end up in a Dallas uniform.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

:hammer:

visionary

Reaction score

Weren't you on here a month ago telling us how talented we are LOL

cowboys1985

Reaction score

I really wanted him when he was a FA either last year or the year before. Not sure what happened this year, but I wouldn't mind adding him to the rotation. Especially considering there isn't much talent left on the DL....

and then sign Earl Thomas :)

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Would be better for some to suggest some names instead of just sign for the DL. Because we can sign some scrub off the street dont mean were getting better.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Yea there is no way a 3rd round guy could come in and have 5 sacks at a rookie DT....right Mr Collins. Cause that didn't happen.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I really wanted him when he was a FA either last year or the year before. Not sure what happened this year, but I wouldn't mind adding him to the rotation. Especially considering there isn't much talent left on the DL....

and then sign Earl Thomas :)

What happened was the packers signed 2 DL and a safety so they could get younger and better.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Or sign Earl, and spend early picks addressing the DL. There's some good depth to this class.