Fixing Claiborne

hra8700

Reaction score
Claiborne has yet to develop at the areas where he is deficient (the biggest problem is he cant handle in breaking routes, he has the length to reroute but doesnt have the strength or the technique, he's a willing tackler but poor in both form and in space). But his ability to run up field in a receivers hip pocket while being aware of the ball in flight and moving the path of the receiver away from it is elite, and he has excellent feel in zones as well. I thought playing more cover 3 and tampa 2 would help him by allowing him not to follow receivers inside, but he was still getting torched inside. I have to rewatch to see what our coverages were.

The question is if he will develop in those areas. We'll jist have to wait and see.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Still not sure where all the bad coverage you guys are complaining about was. Which plays are we talking we're he was getting smoked? I really want to know.

JackWagon

Reaction score
Yep Hakeem Nicks ... it wasn't megatron , larry ftzgerald , AJ Green, or Julio Jones .... It was just Hakeem Nicks.

CashMan

Reaction score
Actually next to QB, cornerback is the hardest position in the NFL.

That being said, I agree Claiborne needs to get his act together because he's becoming tired already. I'm in the boat that you give 3 years for cornerbacks, so we'll see.

It goes QB then WR. More are busts in those areas, you can argue DL, but in that category sacks are the determining factor there.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Yep Hakeem Nicks ... it wasn't megatron , larry ftzgerald , AJ Green, or Julio Jones .... It was just Hakeem Nicks.

Hakeem Nicks is a damn good football player. I didn't expect much from Mo in this game because of how much time he missed. Young guys can't miss the majority of camp and come in game one and light it up. It just isn't going to happen no matter how talented you are. It would help him a lot if we let him play more man press IMO. He will develop in zone coverage, that just takes time and practice. His injuries are of far more concern than his talent.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Trading up for Claiborne and then taking away his strengths as corner not even a year later is a brutal mismanagement of resources.

They couldn't have predicted they were going to fire Ryan and go to (primarily) zone. It happens.

blackbull

Reaction score
Actually next to QB, cornerback is the hardest position in the NFL.

That being said, I agree Claiborne needs to get his act together because he's becoming tired already. I'm in the boat that you give 3 years for cornerbacks, so we'll see.

What top 10 pick corner took 3 years to develop? Lol please. If he doesn't show anything in year two he's not that good. Period

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I am far from giving up but he needs to get much bigger and more aggressive. He has a lot of swagger and personality off the field, but for some reason it doesn't carry over. I think a huge part of his problem is confidence.

I will be worried if he looks lost in November, when it matters.

I think Kiffin will take him under his wing and make him very good though.

Staubacher

Reaction score
I'm usually not negative here but I think we missed on Claiborne. He looked weak in coverage and isn't anything special a 6th overall pick should be. I hope time proves me wrong but nothing pops about him

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
The only issue I have with Claiborne is the physicality of his game. The kid needs to put on at least 10 lbs of upper body muscle, Newman bulked up nicely over his career I hope he does the same.

brymatt94

Reaction score
He barely played this pre-season; its a new defensive scheme, he needs time.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Hakeem Nicks is of their caliber lol. He's a 1st tier receiver. That's not excusing Claiborne's play but if you ask anyone who actually watches football they will tell you Nicks is one of the best receivers in the league and he's the best on his team and that's a team that has Victor Cruz on it. If it wasn't for Nicks there would be no Victor Cruz to worry about. Hakeem Nicks is a MONSTER.