Fixing Claiborne

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Mike Jenkins looked much better in this stage of his career.

We literally kicked Jenkins out so that Mo can have his chance to demonstrate his worthiness of being No.6 pick. I am not too encouraged so far. He looked slow and small on the field.

This is just not true. Jenkins rookie season, he was running behind Newman, Henry and for part of the season, Scandrick. And One game into 2009, Jenkins and Scandrick alternated starting CB duties.

We kicked Jenkins out, because he has shown to be incredibly inconsistent. His rookie year, he looked like a bust. His second year, he makes the pro-bowl. His third, he was arguably the worst CB I have ever seen, drawing a PI call every week it seemed. His 4th season, better than his third, not nearly as good as his second.

That is not the type of player you invest in.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Still not sure where all the bad coverage you guys are complaining about was. Which plays are we talking we're he was getting smoked? I really want to know.

I bet most of them were zone plays where he wasn't responsible, or wouldn't have been in a position to stop a good read/quick decision.

d_dub88

Reaction score
And people wonder why Spencer didn't play last week when he was at 80 to 90%. It's a no win situation if you walk on the field and get beat fan's will say you suck and you are a bust.

The Natural

Reaction score
And people wonder why Spencer didn't play last week when he was at 80 to 90%. It's a no win situation if you walk on the field and get beat fan's will say you suck and you are a bust.

Yep, thats the REAL reason he didnt play. He didnt want to hear that he sucks from fans..

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
What top 10 pick corner took 3 years to develop? Lol please. If he doesn't show anything in year two he's not that good. Period

Shawn Springs took a while, mainly due to injuries. Quentin Jammer took a few to hit his stride too.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
all these callouts on claiborne but not carr?

Carr got torched just as much on quick inside routes. you couch scouts and GMs fail to realise that teams study players 365 days a yr. Teams study coaches. They know what will work and what wont against them. Giants just had something that kept working against both CBs. Im sure they are adjusting that this week. Maybe some of you professionals can advise the team what they should do.

Blackspider214

Reaction score

Lol wat? Is this a serious post? Spencer didn't play because he's not even close to 80%, much less 90. You think he cares about what fans think?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
This is just not true. Jenkins rookie season, he was running behind Newman, Henry and for part of the season, Scandrick. And One game into 2009, Jenkins and Scandrick alternated starting CB duties.

We kicked Jenkins out, because he has shown to be incredibly inconsistent. His rookie year, he looked like a bust. His second year, he makes the pro-bowl. His third, he was arguably the worst CB I have ever seen, drawing a PI call every week it seemed. His 4th season, better than his third, not nearly as good as his second.

That is not the type of player you invest in.

And Mo will also be a player we don't invest in.

Everyone bought into this goofy No Fly Zone nickname they formed before even stepping on the field. They have been anything but. Both him and Carr have not been good.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
And Mo will also be a player we don't invest in.

Everyone bought into this goofy No Fly Zone nickname they formed before even stepping on the field. They have been anything but. Both him and Carr have not been good.

Maybe we will or maybe we won't, but it's stupid to believe you can tell that based on his first 17 games. Just based on his play alone, we'd get a first if we wanted to deal him, likely not a high one, but I'm confident we'd get a first.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
He barely played this pre-season; its a new defensive scheme, he needs time.

Well all last night all they talked about was how rusty RG3 was after a lack of offseaon work yet we dont give Mo that same excuse....typical.

Give him some time, although he does need to start showing something soon.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Maybe we will or maybe we won't, but it's stupid to believe you can tell that based on his first 17 games. Just based on his play alone, we'd get a first if we wanted to deal him, likely not a high one, but I'm confident we'd get a first.

No way you get a 1st for Mo.

If so, make that trade right now. For an offensive lineman.

I've seen enough through 17 games to know he is not that durable and not physical enough to play in the Tampa 2. Tackling is below average. Things that are key for a Tampa 2 corner.

I'm not impressed with Carr, either but he was just a FA. We invested much more in Mo.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
People get on Jerry for his short sighted thinking, but fans are just as bad. For all we know, the turnover well dries up and we continue to get diced for 400+ yards passing week in and week out. If that happens, Kiffen will be gone before Mo's rookie contract is up and for all we know, we could go with a coordinator who wants to use more man to man coverage.

Truth is a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, and Mo is at minimum, a solid player. He may not be a superstar in a Tampa 2, but right now it would be a mistake to deal him.

d_dub88

Reaction score
Football is not a complicated game if you have your priorities straight

One rule of thumb that i have is "never trade up from out of the top 10 into the top 10 for anyone since the price is usually too high. if you want to, it should only be for QB, franchise LT, or game-changing DE"

many of us said this was a bad trade at that time but got shouted down by the usual suspects that our FO said that this is the best CB since dieon

That 'rule of thumb' barely applies with the rookie pay scale. And if you went of the old draft points scale we actually came out ahead moving from 14 to 6 and only adding a 2nd rounder.

brymatt94

Reaction score
Well all last night all they talked about was how rusty RG3 was after a lack of offseaon work yet we dont give Mo that same excuse....typical.

Give him some time, although he does need to start showing something soon.

Very good point! And it seemed like he might not have been completely healthy as well, not just his inexperience in the system.

d_dub88

Reaction score
Lol wat? Is this a serious post? Spencer didn't play because he's not even close to 80%, much less 90. You think he cares about what fans think?

OK Dr. Spider give me your insight on a injury that took till gameday to cause a scratch. Maybe you get better coverage than I do being from VA but I will not be the least bit surprised if you are pulling opinions out of your backside.

blackbull

Reaction score
Shawn Springs took a while, mainly due to injuries. Quentin Jammer took a few to hit his stride too.

Jammer never lived up to his draft status not once. Springs showed promise from the start. Mo has to prove something this year. Period.

blackbull

Reaction score
OK Dr. Spider give me your insight on a injury that took till gameday to cause a scratch. Maybe you get better coverage than I do being from VA but I will not be the least bit surprised if you are pulling opinions out of your backside.

He may not care what fans think but I'm sure he cares what his next employer thinks.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My goodness, the natives get restless when there's not enough to complain about. I don't see anything wrong with Mo that a little better health and more practice time aren't going to take care of. He played well for us last year. Sunday was rough, but it was unreasonable to expect it to be much better than rough given who he was going up against, the status of his injury, and the time he'd missed.

He might not justify the move up. Then again he might. Either way, the move is made, and it's not the player's fault the team made that trade. It's silly to hold that against him. The guy works hard and has the right attitude and all the tools to be a very good player. It's not the end of the world if he doesn't end up being a top-5 CB. I don't care where he was picked.

d_dub88

Reaction score
He may not care what fans think but I'm sure he cares what his next employer thinks.

I know Spencer won't be here next season. But the reports that I read last week said that he had two or three good days at practice and that was after the knee swelling on Monday. I'm no Dr. but I figure if a normal starter has more than two days of practice, before gameday, then he is close to being ready.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know Spencer won't be here next season. But the reports that I read last week said that he had two or three good days at practice and that was after the knee swelling on Monday. I'm no Dr. but I figure if a normal starter has more than two days of practice, before gameday, then he is close to being ready.

Really? I thought I was paying attention, but I hadn't heard he had returned to practice last week. I thought he was only working outside with trainers. Did I miss it?