Fixing Claiborne

d_dub88

Reaction score
Really? I thought I was paying attention, but I hadn't heard he had returned to practice last week. I thought he was only working outside with trainers. Did I miss it?

He may have been working with the training staff, I was just scanning reports before gameday. I read something Saturday (I think it was a JJ quote) that said he had a two or three good days after the swelling leading up to Sunday. I will take a quick look for a link for you,

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He may have been working with the training staff, I was just scanning reports before gameday. I read something Saturday (I think it was a JJ quote) that said he had a two or three good days after the swelling leading up to Sunday. I will take a quick look for a link for you,

Yeah, I don't think he returned to practice yet. Here's a reference to what's possibly your JJ quote, though.

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...boys-de-anthony-spencer-plays-in-week-2.html/

d_dub88

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think he returned to practice yet. Here's a reference to what's possibly your JJ quote, though.

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...boys-de-anthony-spencer-plays-in-week-2.html/

That wasn't the article I read but it is close. I just remember reading about a few good days for Spencer. Good pull on that report though, I may try checking out the DMN a little more often again.

visionary

Reaction score
That 'rule of thumb' barely applies with the rookie pay scale. And if you went of the old draft points scale we actually came out ahead moving from 14 to 6 and only adding a 2nd rounder.

perhaps i did not clarify, i was not talking about cap space/money paid to the player or the draft value chart, i was talking about the resources that a team has. draft picks are probably the most valuable resource a team has to re-stock and re-build and get the highest value in return.

the cost of trading up out of the top 10, into the top 10 is very high and not justifiable except in very very rare instances (QB, franchise LT, game changing DE). even then it is often not reasonable. in this particular instance, there is no way a trade up for Mo was justifiable when the cost was our rd 2 pick. there were CBs available in rd 2 who are every bit as good as Mo, the problem is that we have a FO that cannot consistently identify talent, has no vision, and does not know how to allcoate resources appropriately.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I bet most of them were zone plays where he wasn't responsible, or wouldn't have been in a position to stop a good read/quick decision.

It's funny that nobody has been able to provide anything. Whine whine whine, but nobody seems to know what they're whining about.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Jammer never lived up to his draft status not once. Springs showed promise from the start. Mo has to prove something this year. Period.

I'd say you're pretty wrong about Jammer. He was never an elite CB, but was consistently one of the better CBs in the league for quite a few years. And Springs started his career off very similar to Mo in my opinion.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'm also worried about Claiborne. First Woody said he's concerned about his durability. He insinuated that he takes risks going for the ball. Today, I re-watched the Giants game and saw on several plays that he looked soft on the run. As if he was scared or worried about getting injured. When you worry about getting injured, you usually get injured. I really hope he's not soft. The jury is still out I'm afraid.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Dude ain't deion, that is for sure. Who the hell made that comparison?

blackbull

Reaction score
Springs second year he had 7 ints. Lol please be quiet. Mo has until the end of this year to prove something. Jammer never was a top 5 draft pick corner. You can make up his career in your mind any way you want to. Newman had a better career than Jammer.

Mo seems like a good guy but I'm not letting him off the hook for weak play. Get out there and make some plays.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Hakeem Nicks is of their caliber lol. He's a 1st tier receiver. That's not excusing Claiborne's play but if you ask anyone who actually watches football they will tell you Nicks is one of the best receivers in the league and he's the best on his team and that's a team that has Victor Cruz on it. If it wasn't for Nicks there would be no Victor Cruz to worry about. Hakeem Nicks is a MONSTER.

Hakeem Nicks is in the same tier as Calvin Johnson and AJ Green? Oh boy...... No he isn't . Even if he was healthy, he is in no way a top tier receiver. He's in the tier of say, Colston, Bowe, Decker, jordy Nelson maybe, that 2nd - 3rd tier, but not those elite guys
that were listed

Texan_Eph89

Reaction score
It's not rare for CBs to take time to develop. Mo has essentially missed 2 training camps, give him time.
Besides, people act like Nicks is a scrub and Will Allen was solid help up top..
Turnovers from him won't come until he feels more comfortable with his coverage with top end receivers, he's used to man to man.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not rare for CBs to take time to develop. Mo has essentially missed 2 training camps, give him time.
Besides, people act like Nicks is a scrub and Will Allen was solid help up top..
Turnovers from him won't come until he feels more comfortable with his coverage with top end receivers, he's used to man to man.

People here have been iffy on Claiborne since we traded up for him when they did not expect it. Anything less than outstanding play is going to damn him to 'fixing him' threads his entire career here. The reality is, he played well last year as a rookie, even with a limited camp. He got great reviews early in camp from Dez--something I take fairly seriously--and then played a bad game against the Giants coming back after missing several weeks with his knee problem. He's been dinged.

After a week or two, he'll be back to playing at a high level, and people will be quiet about him until something bad happens, at which point another load of pent-up frustration is going to get dumped. It's inevitable, and probably mostly completely unrelated to his play, one way or another.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hakeem Nicks is in the same tier as Calvin Johnson and AJ Green? Oh boy...... No he isn't . Even if he was healthy, he is in no way a top tier receiver. He's in the tier of say, Colston, Bowe, Decker, jordy Nelson maybe, that 2nd - 3rd tier, but not those elite guys
that were listed

Well Calvin Johnson is in a league of his own. I was speaking more towards the AJ Green's, Fitsgerald's and Julio Jones'........