CFZ Fixing Cowboys Run Defense: Opposite what you may think

DanA

Reaction score
Disagree with your No #5,..
We’re running the ball,. making an effort to run the ball . that’s ball control, that’s taking time off the clock, that’s keeping opposing offense off the field less,
and our own defense off the field less- that’s actually helping our defense – not hurting them. Not exposing them.

- If it was a pass happy frenzy, every down and series while hurry tempo, I could see it totally different.

- Our right DEs and DTs are not anchoring and sustaining their ground- and we have off the LBs that are not making the differences, they are liabilities.
LVE is not looking instinctive and physical enuff vs run, ..and Barr looks slow.

- To some point I think it’s a player personnel issues, to some point I’m starting to believe it’s a scheme, gap integrity issue.

We are 31st in the league for time in possession.

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s not the players on the edge that’s the issue
It’s the scheme that Quinn wants
He wants all out pass rush to disrupt the passing game and he’s willing to sacrifice rush yards to get it, and it’s worked fairly well
Works until we get to the playoffs, then it does not.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Works until we get to the playoffs, then it does not.

I’m assuming that’s why everyone is wigging out over the run defense. We all have fresh in our mind Tourney losses where we were just over-powered like the San Fran game and the Rams mess. I see T-RO’s point comparing the Eagles and the other points on we played to allow the run… if we can score like last week, every week, won’t be an issue. Don’t even need 40+ points, just come out strong early, another thing that our team falls flat on its face in recent years with big games. I know the 90’s comparisons get old, but that’s really all they did. Tactical passing from Aikman and some forced turnovers, then ride it out w Emmitt and that Line, and that pass rush.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think there are a host of issues contributing
  1. Our edge rushers are playing very aggressive football at the expense of setting the edge (I'm okay with that)
  2. Our DTs are allowing linemen to get to the second level too often (Hankins should help)
  3. Our LBs are a little slow to diagnose and split the gap/wade through the trash (hoping Clarke helps)
  4. Refs have missed some egregious holds (in particular Micah) and it has allowed some big runs (luck of the draw, should even out)
  5. We tend to play up-tempo offense which keeps our defense on the field and less rested (No reason why we can't with our TE's and run game)
  6. Our corners aren't the best at playing the run (think Okudah)

I think Dan Quinn can have our edge rushers play a bit more disciplined and with Hankins contributing to the second level being cleaner for our LB's it should get better but it's not a silver bullet.

I think I can fix it pretty easy now that we have Hankins.

Play our best off the ball LBr in base downs (Parsons) at MLB and the whoever is now playing DE opposite of Tank in base downs is an upgrade over Parsons not being good at setting an edge.

T-RO

Reaction score
He wants all out pass rush to disrupt the passing game and he’s willing to sacrifice rush yards to get it, and it’s worked fairly well

Agree with this. DQ here in Dallas, and most all NFL teams are rostered up, and schemed up primarily to stop the pass. And that makes sense!

T-RO

Reaction score
lol. the first post in this thread read like those clickbait articles you see "OPPOSING OFFENSIVE COORDINATORS DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW THIS SECRET"

good stuff

Yes. common to see clickbait articles starting with discussion of smelly brain goop and Kaola pics. :laugh:

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think the 2 biggest factors that contributed to the rushing success Chicago had were:

A) Jumping out to a 3 score lead and assuming they'd abandon the run so we went with a pass rush heavy attack anticipating they'd throw it to get back in the game. Hey, it's absolutely, 100%, without question, what we would have done on offense if we were in Chicago's shoes.

B) Fields. He's going to get yards on the ground. He's a better runner than a thrower at this point. His rushing yards per game are 47, 52, 60(vs Dal), 82, 88.

Do we need to get better against the run, absolutely, but this game at least, has to be looked at with that context in mind.

T-RO

Reaction score
I’m assuming that’s why everyone is wigging out over the run defense. We all have fresh in our mind Tourney losses where we were just over-powered like the San Fran game and the Rams mess. I see T-RO’s point comparing the Eagles and the other points on we played to allow the run… if we can score like last week, every week, won’t be an issue. Don’t even need 40+ points, just come out strong early, another thing that our team falls flat on its face in recent years with big games. I know the 90’s comparisons get old, but that’s really all they did. Tactical passing from Aikman and some forced turnovers, then ride it out w Emmitt and that Line, and that pass rush.

Concern here about the running game defense, but it's more of an 8 concern than a 10 concern.

And I think run defense gets overly simplified. There are a lot of different factors besides big beef in the middle: scheme, handling assignments, cornerback run support, etc.

I think the 2 biggest factors that contributed to the rushing success Chicago had were:

A) Jumping out to a 3 score lead...

B) Fields. ...

Do we need to get better against the run, absolutely, but this game at least, has to be looked at with that context in mind.

Many fans here don't know "context" is a thing.

T-RO

Reaction score
We are 31st in the league for time in possession.

Certainly factors into defensive stats.

Do think that ranking will change as season moves along. Rush was having a difficult time converting third downs.

The other factor about TOP is a bit of an illusion. We use a lot of hurry-up, which has proven to be a strong tactical advantage.

Reactions: BAT

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
The Cowboys have struggled with running quarterbacks this year. But, all in all, the run defense isn’t so concerning because pass defense is so much more important to winning. And the Cowboys are the bees knees rushing the passer.

kskboys

Reaction score
Except that in the playoffs, sooner or later some team will take away what you do on O. Then, you better have a good D that can stop the run and get 3 and outs.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys have struggled with running quarterbacks this year. But, all in all, the run defense isn’t so concerning because pass defense is so much more important to winning. And the Cowboys are the bees knees rushing the passer.
Ahem. SF.

kskboys

Reaction score
Concern here about the running game defense, but it's more of an 8 concern than a 10 concern.

And I think run defense gets overly simplified. There are a lot of different factors besides big beef in the middle: scheme, handling assignments, cornerback run support, etc.

Many fans here don't know "context" is a thing.
There are many factors, absolutely. However, none of those other factors matter if you can't stop up the middle runs.

DanA

Reaction score
probably because we get less touches per everyone else running on us and keeping the ball.

Nope, that doesn't explain it. Our opponents have run the ball just six more times (total) this season than we have and the Bears who run the ball more than anybody are 20th for time in possession. We
Certainly factors into defensive stats.

Do think that ranking will change as season moves along. Rush was having a difficult time converting third downs.

The other factor about TOP is a bit of an illusion. We use a lot of hurry-up, which has proven to be a strong tactical advantage.

I don't necessarily think it will change unless Kellen Moore changes how the offense operates. There is no doubt Dak plays better in a hurry up offense and if we score more than it's ultimately a good outcome but I think we have to acknowledge that it comes at the cost of wearing down our defense. .

T-RO

Reaction score
There is no doubt Dak plays better in a hurry up offense and if we score more than it's ultimately a good outcome but I think we have to acknowledge that it comes at the cost of wearing down our defense. .

Perhaps, but I think more so it wears down opponents.

We might not have a top ten front seven but we quite possibly have the deepest rotation.

Stsinaz12

Reaction score
Open question how much Bears management and coaches really wanted to win. Or believed they could. Bears GM was selling off players before and just after this game. We never saw any hurry up when behind, or trying to stop the clock. Ah but I'm getting silly, half my brain ejected out my ear.

Cowboys were perfectly happy to give up 5-10 yard runs while up 3 scores in the 4th Q.
Move 97 tonRE on 1st 2nd downs or 99