CFZ Fixing Cowboys Run Defense: Opposite what you may think

lukemartin79

Reaction score
If the opponent has a good running QB, maybe put a spy on him?
Yes, exactly. Especially when its a QB known for running. In the Giants game the QB killed us in the first half, but they put Wilson on him as a spy in the second half and it stopped. For some reason they never did that all game against the Bears and Fields ran wild.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
FixingCowboysDef.png

This thread will serve up surprises. When I discovered this...half of my brain detonated out the left ear. Goopy stuff. Smells funny.

Everyone knows the Bears ran for 240 on us Sunday! Our team's manhood was brought into question, right? Get on the phone quick, Stephen. We need a few more 350 pound DTs and maybe a couple 290 pound run-stuffing power linebackers. Fix this or playoff hopes are doomed. Right?

HOW DO WE FIX THIS!?

Here from All-22 and Pro-Football-Reference the mind-bending game data:

Bears Running Game up until garbage time* :
Inside Runs: 3.4 yards per carry**
Outside Runs/ QB Scrambles: 8.2 yards per carry***

Let us summarize for emphasis:
Dallas mostly throttled interior runs, but was gashed on jet sweeps and QB scrambles! Big gains had little to do with the big bodies. 100% opposite most fan's assumptions.

To further explore here in this thread:
-Is the key to better fun defense a power issue, a speed issue...or something else?
-Who is to blame on the roster right now for lapses? How bad is this, really?
-Can I get brain goop re-implanted? Need all I got.

---
*Garbage time = anything after Cowboys took 42-23 lead:
**17 carries for 57 yards
*** 11 for 90 yards

LB play is every bit a part of the issue as is the DT position. Parsons is having to play too much at DE is hurting our run defense. LVE is bad in run defense and Barr wasnt any better. runs to the outside were killing us. Part of it is also the scheme we run with only two backers and an extra safety.

You put LVE, Parsons, Clark in there on first down in a 4-3 defense and I bet that helps the run defense. Let Parsons focus on stopping the run up the middle instead of rushing the passer so much.

Problem is that he is a little banged up so they save him for passing downs only.

Creeper

Reaction score
That's the same thing I'm thinking. He's trying to show Parsons that he's still the lead dog when it comes to getting after the QB.

DLaw has always had problems containing the outside. He has a tendency to chase the RB when the QB keeps and runs outside of him, or on those WR sweeps. This is not a new issue and it predates Parsons. That's why Lawrence's best run stops are on inside running plays. Gregory had the same issue.

I guess the question is, if the Cowboys DEs weren't so aggressive, would sacks drop? Is the occasional outside run in favor or more sacks worth it? So far the answer is yes. But there will be times when they need a stop in a close game and the opposing QB gets outside for a big first down run.

Creeper

Reaction score
LB play is every bit a part of the issue as is the DT position. Parsons is having to play too much at DE is hurting our run defense. LVE is bad in run defense and Barr wasnt any better. runs to the outside were killing us. Part of it is also the scheme we run with only two backers and an extra safety.

You put LVE, Parsons, Clark in there on first down in a 4-3 defense and I bet that helps the run defense. Let Parsons focus on stopping the run up the middle instead of rushing the passer so much.

Problem is that he is a little banged up so they save him for passing downs only.

I think the DT position is a big part of the problem stopping the run, but it is more complicated than that. We'd like the DTs to occupy the blockers more so the LBs can run free. Hankins will help with that. But the rest of the Cowboys DTs are just guys. Bohanna is starting to show some ability to get a push now and then. Maybe next year he has his breakout year. But Osa Odhigizuwa, Trysten Hill, Neville Gallimore, Carlos Watkins are all JAGs. They've drafted Maliek Collins over and over again. None of these guys have been run stoppers. and none of them ever have the break out year we want or expect. After 3 or 4 years they are let go. Hankins comes in an shows immediately how inadequate the Cowboys DTs have been for years. There is no disruption from the Cowboys DTs.

On the other hand, look at the rest of the NFC East. Washington gives up 4.6 yards per carry. The Cowboys 4.7, the Eagles 5.2 and the Giants 5.5. All 3 Cowboys' division opponents have what most would consider top DTs tandems. The Eagles have Cox, Jordan, and Hargrave. The Commanders have Allen and Payne. The Giants have Big Cat Williams and Dexter Lawrence. So there must be more to run defense than just DTs. I think run defense is a team effort. LBs and Safeties play a big role in stopping the run. Everyone must be where they are supposed to be. One guy, like Lawrence, over-pursues and it leaves the gap for a big play. I think the Bears go some big plays when Wilson and Kearse were out of the game. Lewis too. Mukuamu and Bland got caught out of position or taking bad angles. Maybe with experience they will improve with that, but Donovan Wilson, Kearse and Lewis are better right now.

kskboys

Reaction score

I'm afraid that Parsons is always going to be banged up if he remains at DE. Hope I'm wrong.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the DT position is a big part of the problem stopping the run, but it is more complicated than that. We'd like the DTs to occupy the blockers more so the LBs can run free. Hankins will help with that. But the rest of the Cowboys DTs are just guys. Bohanna is starting to show some ability to get a push now and then. Maybe next year he has his breakout year. But Osa Odhigizuwa, Trysten Hill, Neville Gallimore, Carlos Watkins are all JAGs. They've drafted Maliek Collins over and over again. None of these guys have been run stoppers. and none of them ever have the break out year we want or expect. After 3 or 4 years they are let go. Hankins comes in an shows immediately how inadequate the Cowboys DTs have been for years. There is no disruption from the Cowboys DTs.

On the other hand, look at the rest of the NFC East. Washington gives up 4.6 yards per carry. The Cowboys 4.7, the Eagles 5.2 and the Giants 5.5. All 3 Cowboys' division opponents have what most would consider top DTs tandems. The Eagles have Cox, Jordan, and Hargrave. The Commanders have Allen and Payne. The Giants have Big Cat Williams and Dexter Lawrence. So there must be more to run defense than just DTs. I think run defense is a team effort. LBs and Safeties play a big role in stopping the run. Everyone must be where they are supposed to be. One guy, like Lawrence, over-pursues and it leaves the gap for a big play. I think the Bears go some big plays when Wilson and Kearse were out of the game. Lewis too. Mukuamu and Bland got caught out of position or taking bad angles. Maybe with experience they will improve with that, but Donovan Wilson, Kearse and Lewis are better right now.
Well said.

To sum, you need a legit DT tandem, but that's only the start of being a good D.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Now that the middle of the D-line is more fortified with Hankins, we'll have to see where it takes us, but against Chicago, DLaw's tendency to overrun the QB and fall for the fake handoff did a lot of damage. If the edges can do a better job of forcing runs back to the middle of the line, I think they could cut their yardage down considerably.

As for what players are responsible, I think it's more the scheme than the players, but when the players come in too hot, they allow the runner, whether it be the RB or QB, to go around them. Much like when the gunners overrun the punt returner.
Clark shores up a lot of the lateral speed that was missing from Barrs game.

shabazz

Reaction score
This defense is clearly predicated on stopping the pass and they have mostly bent and not broken, however they do need to improve the run defense to a degree if they want to advance through the playoffs

The run defense was already ranked 26 or worse BEFORE facing Fields and da Bears

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
But when Barr is healthy, who takes the field?
I dont think Clark is going to be replaced, I would say whoever is less valued between Barr and LVE, Clark will be replacing that one.
Clarks speed to the perimeter is clearly already better than either Barr or LVE, and he only has one start last game, so his entire game will
improve with playing time.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Clark is not known to have great lateral movement skills.
Haven't heard that, MP already said he could beat him in a race, that's not lateral, but speed is speed, and I'm upgrading with Clark over Barr or LVE.
I will gladly eat my words on Clark if he proves to be not worthy, but I'm banking that Q leaves him in from this point forward.

kskboys

Reaction score
Haven't heard that, MP already said he could beat him in a race, that's not lateral, but speed is speed, and I'm upgrading with Clark over Barr or LVE.
I will gladly eat my words on Clark if he proves to be not worthy, but I'm banking that Q leaves him in from this point forward.
Oh he's fast, we know that. It's the lateral thing that reportedly he's subpar at.

vig454

Reaction score
Now that the middle of the D-line is more fortified with Hankins, we'll have to see where it takes us, but against Chicago, DLaw's tendency to overrun the QB and fall for the fake handoff did a lot of damage. If the edges can do a better job of forcing runs back to the middle of the line, I think they could cut their yardage down considerably.

As for what players are responsible, I think it's more the scheme than the players, but when the players come in too hot, they allow the runner, whether it be the RB or QB, to go around them. Much like when the gunners overrun the punt returner.
Dlaw has always overran the QB , seems it's a normal issue with him. Recently the opposing team has been very good at setting up the defense with screens .

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Yes, exactly. Especially when its a QB known for running. In the Giants game the QB killed us in the first half, but they put Wilson on him as a spy in the second half and it stopped. For some reason they never did that all game against the Bears and Fields ran wild.

Yeah, that was bizarre. Fields is known for his running ability.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
FixingCowboysDef.png

This thread will serve up surprises. When I discovered this...half of my brain detonated out the left ear. Goopy stuff. Smells funny.

Everyone knows the Bears ran for 240 on us Sunday! Our team's manhood was brought into question, right? Get on the phone quick, Stephen. We need a few more 350 pound DTs and maybe a couple 290 pound run-stuffing power linebackers. Fix this or playoff hopes are doomed. Right?

HOW DO WE FIX THIS!?

Here from All-22 and Pro-Football-Reference the mind-bending game data:

Bears Running Game up until garbage time* :
Inside Runs: 3.4 yards per carry**
Outside Runs/ QB Scrambles: 8.2 yards per carry***

Let us summarize for emphasis:
Dallas mostly throttled interior runs, but was gashed on jet sweeps and QB scrambles! Big gains had little to do with the big bodies. 100% opposite most fan's assumptions.

To further explore here in this thread:
-Is the key to better fun defense a power issue, a speed issue...or something else?
-Who is to blame on the roster right now for lapses? How bad is this, really?
-Can I get brain goop re-implanted? Need all I got.

---
*Garbage time = anything after Cowboys took 42-23 lead:
**17 carries for 57 yards
*** 11 for 90 yards
Something we dont really have right now is a good 4i. Gholston hasnt really established himself and we dont really have any other candidates. Outside of Odighizuwa, our 3T were all alligator arm gap shooters. Not a real fit for the 4i. I don't think the movement ability of Red Bryant to play it.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think most of us knew that the outside runs (many of which were going around DLaw) were where the majority of our ineptness showed. Hankins did a pretty good job in the middle when he was in.

run--i watched a good film study on our run defense...and its easlily fixed...the rushman were running too fast toward the nimble QB and he faked em out....if they hold their holes and progress toward QB

without running top speed they will corral him.....expect to see them play the Sheagles much different and remember we only lost to those women 26-17 and that was with Rush as QB

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I thought you could fix the run defense simply by scoring fast and often in the 1st half. Force them into playing catch up.

Well, the Cowboys did that to the Bears and they just kept running. They didn't panic.

Yet another chapter in What Do I Know?

Of course, it could have just been that they were afraid the Cowboys defense would pin their ears back and traumatize Fields for his entire career.

I think the Cowboys need to focus on doing what they're doing. If they worry about the run too much, they're going to get hit in the passing game. What they're doing now is fine. Making tweaks here and there can work. But you don't need to over-commit to the run so much that you get beat with the pass.

That's counter-productive.

It's a bend don't break defense. Playing the run too much will get you beat by the pass, and that means you broke.