CFZ Fixing Cowboys Run Defense: Opposite what you may think

T-RO

Reaction score
I said this like 5 minutes after the game, when many were crying like children about it.

The yards they gave up on the ground was by design, so to speak, because they were playing the pass on 3rd and longs.. and then the Bears would run the ball.

Really nothing to see here. I'm glad Quinn sticks to his bend to break philosophy even if it's not the most impressive thing on the stat sheet.

The only thing that counts is the score...

Lotta truth to this.

DLaw plays the run when he feels like it.
He's he very good run defender. Sometimes he fixates trying to get a sack and keep up with Micah, which creates occasional issues.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
#1) Our corners are very bad in run support. In the NFL that matters.

#2) Our defensive ends are very undisciplined in their rush and will often end up way upfield out of position to keep the QB in the pocket.

#3) Barr and LVE also seem to have a tough time beating ball carriers to the spot on outside runs.

Combine all of this and you're going to have a little trouble against the outside running game.

Stylistically I think DQ coaches the defensive line to play hyper aggressively in pursuit of sacks and the big play. It has worked thus far (33 sacks - most in the NFL), but it could make sense for him to temper this approach in pursuit of improved run D. Personally I am somewhat willing to take increased pressure over improved run defense in most cases. I believe that Clark will provide some sorely needed raw-athletic ability at the LB position and over time will be a partial solution to #2. We're going to have to live with our corners not being the most willing run defenders. As I say this though, Bland has shown that he can bring some tackling to the table and with him taking over for Lewis there might be some hope there as well.

One thing I will say is that this defense actually did a very good job against Hurts when they played the Eagles (9 carries 27 yards for 3.0/carry last I checked) and you are not going to see a QB anywhere as athletic as Fields the rest of the way through. The Bears' offense is a total anomaly and are running on everyone right now. On my list of things that I think will keep the Cowboys out of the NFC championship game, the read option is pretty low.

T-RO

Reaction score
Strong post BleedS&B. Some of you have beat me to the punch on various items. I'm so slow of foot!

Returning to one of the things I mentioned in my original post: "parties of blame"

Here goes, my opinion:
1. Anthony Barr. He's just not much good at this point. Sure hope Damone Clark can learn the position on the fly.
2. Trevon Diggs. We love his coverage/ball skills, which are much more important. Gotta take the bad with the good.
3. Prioritization of speed and pass rush by coaches, and some over-exuberance by players for sack totals. Can't exactly "blame" the coaches...pass rush/defense should be the higher priority
4. Vander Esch is "meh" in run support. He's quite decent overall, but he sure isn't a highly physical force in vs. the run
5. Unique Sunday circumstances. Safeties were falling like flies. Clark was unexpectedly playing, after no camp and no preseason. Chicago was in run-run mode even when that plan gave them no hope to come back.

T-RO

Reaction score
Regarding improvements beyond the addition of Hankins...

If Sam Williams and Damone Clark can grow quickly in knowing their roles...it could be Godzilla Rising.

Might be asking too much for Clark to be a plus player this season, but these two have insane mega-elite combinations of size, strength and speed.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I think most of us knew that the outside runs (many of which were going around DLaw) were where the majority of our ineptness showed. Hankins did a pretty good job in the middle when he was in.

Tank is not the problem vs the run.

Far from it.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Our DE's get up the field too quick. I've been saying that every since we switched back to the 4-3. They leave gaping holes in between them and the DT's. That's why I prefer the two gap system with DE's that can stand their ground. If we really wanted to stop the run, we'd have to play Golston and Osa at DE together.

LDE -Golston
3T.DT -Watkins
1T.DT -Hankins
RDE -Osa

That's your run stuffing front four right there.

Cowboys won by 20.

Even with Bears putting up +200 yards, they were never a threat to win it.

Not all rush yards are created equal.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I’m assuming that’s why everyone is wigging out over the run defense. We all have fresh in our mind Tourney losses where we were just over-powered like the San Fran game and the Rams mess. I see T-RO’s point comparing the Eagles and the other points on we played to allow the run… if we can score like last week, every week, won’t be an issue. Don’t even need 40+ points, just come out strong early, another thing that our team falls flat on its face in recent years with big games. I know the 90’s comparisons get old, but that’s really all they did. Tactical passing from Aikman and some forced turnovers, then ride it out w Emmitt and that Line, and that pass rush.

THISSSSSSSSS^^^^^^^^^

RonWashington

Reaction score
I’m sure this has been mentioned but DQ might think of playing # 11 as more of a true LB and less at the line of scrimmage specifically to allow him more reaction time to the play unfolding thus keeping 300 Lb lineman off him at the point of attack . That has to help in run plays .

Reactions: BAT

RonWashington

Reaction score
Remember you carry Tank Armstrong Fowler & Willams most game days . Parsons & Clark teaming up at LB more sounds nice .

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Tank is not the problem vs the run.

Far from it.

As a rule, I agree. But against the Bears he gave up a lot of yardage. He was overrunning Fields, and bit on at least one fake handoff, which allowed Fields to run around him.

CWR

Reaction score
#1) Our corners are very bad in run support. In the NFL that matters.

#2) Our defensive ends are very undisciplined in their rush and will often end up way upfield out of position to keep the QB in the pocket.

#3) Barr and LVE also seem to have a tough time beating ball carriers to the spot on outside runs.

Combine all of this and you're going to have a little trouble against the outside running game.

Stylistically I think DQ coaches the defensive line to play hyper aggressively in pursuit of sacks and the big play. It has worked thus far (33 sacks - most in the NFL), but it could make sense for him to temper this approach in pursuit of improved run D. Personally I am somewhat willing to take increased pressure over improved run defense in most cases. I believe that Clark will provide some sorely needed raw-athletic ability at the LB position and over time will be a partial solution to #2. We're going to have to live with our corners not being the most willing run defenders. As I say this though, Bland has shown that he can bring some tackling to the table and with him taking over for Lewis there might be some hope there as well.

One thing I will say is that this defense actually did a very good job against Hurts when they played the Eagles (9 carries 27 yards for 3.0/carry last I checked) and you are not going to see a QB anywhere as athletic as Fields the rest of the way through. The Bears' offense is a total anomaly and are running on everyone right now. On my list of things that I think will keep the Cowboys out of the NFC championship game, the read option is pretty low.

A ton of the corners being bad, was them schemed on a island trying to get past blockers and tackle the rb. That was way overblown. If Diggs has to fight through a tackle and a TE he's not gonna make the play, nor should he.

2 and 3, I agree, especially with our ends losing containment.

CWR

Reaction score
As a rule, I agree. But against the Bears he gave up a lot of yardage. He was overrunning Fields, and bit on at least one fake handoff, which allowed Fields to run around him.

I was saying the same, then I saw someone break down the film. The explanation was the safety or LB was supposed to fill in when Law rushed upfield. I'm sure not all of those were designed that way, but there were at least a couple times he didn't have containment responsibilities, and it looked bad on him.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Cowboys won by 20.

Even with Bears putting up +200 yards, they were never a threat to win it.

Not all rush yards are created equal.
Yes, I've mentioned this a couple times myself also. We were playing off taking away everythingything deep. We allowed them to run so they can run out the clock on themselves. But the DE's getting up feel too quick can be a problem in some games.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was saying the same, then I saw someone break down the film. The explanation was the safety or LB was supposed to fill in when Law rushed upfield. I'm sure not all of those were designed that way, but there were at least a couple times he didn't have containment responsibilities, and it looked bad on him.
Whose breakdown said that? From what I saw, the secondary was busy covering the receivers, as they should have been, and the LBs are going up against OL, for the most part, so that's expecting a lot from the LBs to shed their blocks and be able to catch and tackle Fields before he gets to the line to gain.

CWR

Reaction score
Whose breakdown said that? From what I saw, the secondary was busy covering the receivers, as they should have been, and the LBs are going up against OL, for the most part, so that's expecting a lot from the LBs to shed their blocks and be able to catch and tackle Fields before he gets to the line to gain.

If I can find it I'll share. I go down many rabbit holes with this team.

T-RO

Reaction score

There aren't many D-ends who are going to solo tackle Fields.

Do agree Tank should have kept contain a bit more.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Not going quite that far.

But that's just me.

Just the best edge on the team since they drafted him out of Boise . Be shocked if they didn’t put him in the ring . And plays the run , doesn’t look for a chair to hide under . Dudes a playa. :starspin: