CFZ Fixing the Cowboys for 2024

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarthy has that power this season at least...he has power to do that. The GM is involved more in group discussion. McCarthy still has lot's of power here.
Cc, what kind of power does he have? I’m not disagreeing necessarily - I’m just interested in knowing what specifically you see as his power?

kwcool619

Reaction score
Biggest thing to address is the fact that most of the Dallas cowboys players are ok with losing. I know they say all the right things but look at some facts:

No vocal emotional leader- You need guys like Dak. Stand up good guy that everyone likes but you also need guys who will get in people's face.
Same goes for the coaches. You can't have wade without having a parcels type to help balance things out and push players. McCarthy is a players coach, most like him but what coach is currently pushing these guys to not accept mediocrity abd to be better?

These guys need a leader/gm who benches players for celebrating lowly wins. You don't party all night because you beat the Giants. You don't celebrate making the playoffs. Parcels was a master motivator and got more with less. McCarthy needs a few guys like that on staff cause it won't come from the GM.

Then start getting rid of players who dumb, penalty prone, with no heart. Start collecting guys who hate to lose, not afraid to be vocal, smart situationally aware guys who study study study.
Awesome post. No need to add on.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It seems like the board would be ok with a small rebuild and would be ok giving Lance an audition. The problem is the Joneses would never do this because they want the Cowboys in the news. The reason why the Joneses believe they made the right decision bringing the band back together is because all the national media attention it brought. If the Cowboys traded Dak what type of attention would Jones get from the national media if the Cowboys are a 7-8 win non playoff team.
Not at this point, the media already follows them...now, and immediately, the team if not moving can't explain a single thing away.

With 11-12 series being the average per game. With 5-6 stalled series coming from sacks, fumbles, interceptions, and penalties, how can the team truly be competitive in a game. Then battle is both momentum and rhythm.

The depth at secondary already is strong enough. This team has to become able to stop the run. It can double cover any receiver.

At defensive tackle, the team already has Johnathan Hankins, Odighizuwa, and Mazi Smith. They need one more very strong defensive tackle in the draft or free agency.

The linebacker group has to become strong, not just on the field come game time. Here I go first round or trade up in 2 using a future pick.

The draft then should get a very quality offensive tackle and a very strong center.

Dak has to become accountable. That comes from the Head Coach always over his shoulders making him arountable and disciplined.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Well I will try to fix the roster. Same crappy coaching. Same crappy GM. Same crappy owner. Here you go and this assumes I stuck with Dak.

1. Not extending Dak so I am in cap hell. Good news is that expectations are low and we know how to dumpster dive.

2. Draft DT, OT, C, LB and RB. Best available at those positions.

3. I am trading Parsons. That’s right. I hate his makeup and I need to choose between he and Lamb. I choose Lamb. Plus Bland is going to get paid too. Parsons has to go.

4. I get 2 first rounders for him at least. Those are spent on the front 7 and next year’s QB in round one.

5. I don’t care how well Dak plays this is his last year. If I can trade him great, if not I let him walk. Lance and a 2025 first rounder are competing for the starting job.

6. Overshown is going to be a big add. I am playing 2/3 actual LBs. No more safeties. No more 11 at DE.

7. Goodbye Lawrence.

8. Odiggyziggy to DE. Mazi and Hankins in the middle. I want size on the DL.

9. I let the coaching staff walk after the season. All of them. I am hiring a Ben Johnson type. A young successful coordinator is my next coach. We are playing 21st century football from now on.

10. I let Pollard walk. I am drafting a big back in rounds 3 or 4. Dowdle stays. Bring in another vet. Big backs.

11. Cap hell improves in 2025 and I am spending it on the trenches.
I love your plan! I would trade Parsons and CD. Both were deer in headlights during Pack game. No one on Dallas sideline seemed to get made like Michael and Troy used to get.

All coaches can go and I saw very few players I’d keep.

The fools gold is “we are only a few players away”. No, we’re not. We’re soft on both o and d lines.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cc, what kind of power does he have? I’m not disagreeing necessarily - I’m just interested in knowing what specifically you see as his power?
He always has Jerry's ear. They really do talk well together. Ever since Bill Parcells, he listens about players and directions. In free agency and the draft, it's a complete team effort. Coaches, in effect, have what was wanted by Jimmy Johnson. The Head Coach already receives pay as a GM once was receiving. Head Coach authority is at this level through the NFL now, to begin with. Jerry offered this GM status to Tom Landry when he purchased the team. Tom Landry turned a position down.

Just controlling the opponent's running keeps an opponent from changing around patterns of attack.

Picking up 7 yards on first down changes games as well.

Last edited:

ArtClink

Reaction score
31 offseasons
Thank you for this correction. I just know it’s half of my life I’ve been watching the same idiot run our team into the ground. I thought fans would leave in droves when we hit 20 years and no ncf championship appearance but it’s had very little impact on stadium attendance.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I love your plan! I would trade Parsons and CD. Both were deer in headlights during Pack game. No one on Dallas sideline seemed to get made like Michael and Troy used to get.

All coaches can go and I saw very few players I’d keep.

The fools gold is “we are only a few players away”. No, we’re not. We’re soft on both o and d lines.
I think Lamb has some dawg in him. He’s a keeper in my opinion. Yes we need 4 starting pieces on the OL and DL. LT, C, DE and DT. Real DEs not converted LBs. A big athletic DT.

kwcool619

Reaction score
I am being too simplistic but here it goes and it will never happen but here it goes:

First of all, what's the goal? What's the plan?
Next, how can this organization create a Championship mentality and attitude from top to bottom?
Next, establish expectations and boundaries. What will be allowed and what will not be tolerated. Make sure everyone within the organization understands and abides by them. If not, show them the door.
If a player is all about Me, Myself and I (RIP Dave from De La Soul), show him the door. Can't waste time.
Establish leadership. Establish communication. Establish teamwork.
Always keep moving forward.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry also realizes if he hires a new head coach, and a defensive-minded one at that, likely not only moving on from Dan Quinn, who might move on his own anyway for a head coaching job, then the new coach must hire an offensive coordinator/play caller, doing Dak no favors dealing with a third offensive coordinator/play-caller in three years.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-jerry-steadfastly-ignores-noisy-grain

CCBoy

Reaction score
  • The Cowboys inability to stop the run, giving up at least 109 yards to five of the six teams they lost to, with season highs of 266 to Buffalo, 222 to Arizona, 170 to San Francisco and 143 to Green Bay, along with 13 rushing touchdowns in the six losses.
  • Lack of a consistent pass rush down the stretch, finishing with but one quarterback sack in five of the final six games of season and not a one against Green Bay.
  • An insufficient linebacker corps. After Leighton Vander Esch's season-ending injury in Game 5, trying to play with safeties like Markquese Bell and Jayron Kearse alongside leading tackler Damone Clark (115), became a huge problem against the NFL's elite teams wanting to run the ball.

Packers receivers were running wide open – see completions for 46 yards, 39, 38, 26, 22 and 20.
And when Prescott is off and the offensive line allows the quarterback to be sacked four times and hit another nine, this becomes a recipe for being whipped badly.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-jerry-steadfastly-ignores-noisy-grain

Last edited:

Ben7

Reaction score
Let’s talk about what it will take to build this team into a true contender for a championship. So…What does this team need (besides a new GM?, lol) In order to fix this team’s many weaknesses, here are my big picture roster recommendations:
  • Before talking about any specific player, the first thing this team needs OVERALL is to recognize they aren’t as close as they like to think. This team is STILL way too soft, too small on defense, not nasty enough at DL, and still incapable of imposing its will on either side of the ball. DT, LB, OL, and RB are huge needs for this team.

• Everyone talks about needing another QB. And honestly, I’m ready to consider that. Dak is not as bad as way too many here think, but sometimes when your QB can’t seem to raise his level of play in the biggest moments, it becomes that much harder to make it happen the next time. BUT…then I start thinking about who will be his replacement? Ugh. It’s not that easy.
    • Trey Lance? Are we willing to just throw him the keys without any test drive? The guy the niners gave up on is our new starter? I’m not ready to say that.
    • The draft? Don’t see how with the 24th pick we can be reasonably sure that can produce someone who can step in and win playoff games. Besides the Jones front office somehow refuses year after to even consider drafting a QB early.
    • Cooper Rush? Please.
    • I wouldn’t mind seeing a trade for Dak because I guarantee there are teams who would like his services. He would have to approve it but he may be ready to consider it. I would if I were him. But his contract situation is complicated. If Dak would approve a trade to a willing partner in a “sign and trade” type deal, some teams might do that for a first round pick.
    • But again…who is your QB then?
  • For everyone screaming for Dak to go…have you thought this through? I’m tired of watching Dak suck in big games but do we have better options with this front office?
  • This next point is big IMO. The biggest need for this team is for guys who can bring a physical and tough presence. And those positions of need include DT, LB, G, C and Tackle. Because watching that packer team completely dominate the LOS and impose their physical will on a supposedly better team was eye opening. Remember the Buffalo game? The bills just rammed it down our throats all day long. It was like watching a bully steal lunch money.
    • Only a blind homer would say the Cowboys are a physical team. We aren’t.
    • For those saying our defense dominated at times last year, I say not unless two things happened: 1. We get multiple turnovers and 2. Got a two score lead. When this team had to rely on its defense to keep them in the game while behind, it could not do it.
    • The running game was anemic all year. We need an upgrade to the OL and a new RB.

There are tons of players that could help this team. But as I watch the playoff games this weekend, it seems pretty clear the Cowboys - as they are currently constructed - are NOT that close.

The guy who is the dominant face of this franchise by design has had three decades to build a roster he selected, and coached by coaches he is “comfortable” with. And we have 4 wild card wins to show for all that. I only bring this up to remind us that when he says “we are close”, forgive me if I don’t have any confidence in that statement.

We need to get bigger, tougher and if many fans have their way, miraculously find a QB who is an improvement. That’s a tall order. But it starts with being honest, something this front office never seems to do. The Star needs a lot of mirrors these days when it comes to figuring out the problems. But they CAN be fixed if they recognize what they really need.
Jerry's on some drugs saying "We are Close"!!!! :muttley: :p :laugh:

Quint

Reaction score
Let’s talk about what it will take to build this team into a true contender for a championship. So…What does this team need (besides a new GM?, lol) In order to fix this team’s many weaknesses, here are my big picture roster recommendations:
  • Before talking about any specific player, the first thing this team needs OVERALL is to recognize they aren’t as close as they like to think. This team is STILL way too soft, too small on defense, not nasty enough at DL, and still incapable of imposing its will on either side of the ball. DT, LB, OL, and RB are huge needs for this team.

• Everyone talks about needing another QB. And honestly, I’m ready to consider that. Dak is not as bad as way too many here think, but sometimes when your QB can’t seem to raise his level of play in the biggest moments, it becomes that much harder to make it happen the next time. BUT…then I start thinking about who will be his replacement? Ugh. It’s not that easy.
    • Trey Lance? Are we willing to just throw him the keys without any test drive? The guy the niners gave up on is our new starter? I’m not ready to say that.
    • The draft? Don’t see how with the 24th pick we can be reasonably sure that can produce someone who can step in and win playoff games. Besides the Jones front office somehow refuses year after to even consider drafting a QB early.
    • Cooper Rush? Please.
    • I wouldn’t mind seeing a trade for Dak because I guarantee there are teams who would like his services. He would have to approve it but he may be ready to consider it. I would if I were him. But his contract situation is complicated. If Dak would approve a trade to a willing partner in a “sign and trade” type deal, some teams might do that for a first round pick.
  • For everyone screaming for Dak to go…have you thought this through? I’m tired of watching Dak suck in big games but do we have better options with this front office?
  • This next point is big IMO. The biggest need for this team is for guys who can bring a physical and tough presence. And those positions of need include DT, LB, G, C and Tackle. Because watching that packer team completely dominate the LOS and impose their physical will on a supposedly better team was eye opening. Remember the Buffalo game? The bills just rammed it down our throats all day long. It was like watching a bully steal lunch money.
    • For those saying our defense dominated at times last year, I say not unless two things happened: 1. We get multiple turnovers and 2. Got a two score lead. When this team had to rely on its defense to keep them in the game while behind, it could not do it.
    • The running game was anemic all year. We need an upgrade to the OL and a new RB.

There are tons of players that could help this team. But as I watch the playoff games this weekend, it seems pretty clear the Cowboys - as they are currently constructed - are NOT that close.

The guy who is the dominant face of this franchise by design has had three decades to build a roster he selected, and coached by coaches he is “comfortable” with. And we have 4 wild card wins to show for all that. I only bring this up to remind us that when he says “we are close”, forgive me if I don’t have any confidence in that statement.

We need to get bigger, tougher and if many fans have their way, miraculously find a QB who is an improvement. That’s a tall order. But it starts with being honest, something this front office never seems to do. The Star needs a lot of mirrors these days when it comes to figuring out the problems. But they CAN be fixed if they recognize what they really need.
DLaw is a grown man. Guy is championship caliber

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am being too simplistic but here it goes and it will never happen but here it goes:

First of all, what's the goal? What's the plan?
Next, how can this organization create a Championship mentality and attitude from top to bottom?
Next, establish expectations and boundaries. What will be allowed and what will not be tolerated. Make sure everyone within the organization understands and abides by them. If not, show them the door.
If a player is all about Me, Myself and I (RIP Dave from De La Soul), show him the door. Can't waste time.
Establish leadership. Establish communication. Establish teamwork.
Always keep moving forward.
Not a bad plan.

But when we talk about making changes from “top to bottom”, the top of this organization has shown he’s not willing to do “whatever it takes” to win a championship. If he did, he would not continue to do things where he is always the hub of the organizational wheel.

Put it even simpler- He does NOT hate losing in the playoffs enough to make the changes any sane person can see need to be made. Jerry is the only constant in the formula since this team did anything in the playoffs. It is obvious. He either doesn’t care, doesn’t see it, or is just stupidly stubborn. None of those reasons are acceptable to an owner or leader that wanted to win more than anything.

kwcool619

Reaction score
Not a bad plan.

But when we talk about making changes from “top to bottom”, the top of this organization has shown he’s not willing to do “whatever it takes” to win a championship. If he did, he would not continue to do things where he is always the hub of the organizational wheel.

Put it even simpler- He does NOT hate losing in the playoffs enough to make the changes any sane person can see need to be made. Jerry is the only constant in the formula since this team did anything in the playoffs. It is obvious. He either doesn’t care, doesn’t see it, or is just stupidly stubborn. None of those reasons are acceptable to an owner or leader that wanted to win more than anything.
Maybe I was more concentrating on the characteristics. We both know what Jerry will or won't do. But I agree with your post.

GMO415

Reaction score

• Cooper Rush? Please.

Normally I don't bother with long posts, but it's Bullet and I'll make the exception.

I honestly believe we could trade Dak for an exchange, but for who? Ryan Tannehill?

Last edited: