CFZ Fixing the Cowboys for 2024

TWOK11

Reaction score
Make a serious attempt to sign Chris Jones. That’s step one in my opinion.

leeblair

Reaction score
The instant Dak goes the Cowboys become a better team.
And yes, Cooper Rush made the Cowboys a better team.
But there are quarterbacks out there to be had, especially these days. Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, Jimmy Garappolo...
And I would love to see some beef on both sides of the line.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Let’s talk about what it will take to build this team into a true contender for a championship. So…What does this team need (besides a new GM?, lol) In order to fix this team’s many weaknesses, here are my big picture roster recommendations:
  • Before talking about any specific player, the first thing this team needs OVERALL is to recognize they aren’t as close as they like to think. This team is STILL way too soft, too small on defense, not nasty enough at DL, and still incapable of imposing its will on either side of the ball. DT, LB, OL, and RB are huge needs for this team.

• Everyone talks about needing another QB. And honestly, I’m ready to consider that. Dak is not as bad as way too many here think, but sometimes when your QB can’t seem to raise his level of play in the biggest moments, it becomes that much harder to make it happen the next time. BUT…then I start thinking about who will be his replacement? Ugh. It’s not that easy.
    • Trey Lance? Are we willing to just throw him the keys without any test drive? The guy the niners gave up on is our new starter? I’m not ready to say that.
    • The draft? Don’t see how with the 24th pick we can be reasonably sure that can produce someone who can step in and win playoff games. Besides the Jones front office somehow refuses year after to even consider drafting a QB early.
    • Cooper Rush? Please.
    • I wouldn’t mind seeing a trade for Dak because I guarantee there are teams who would like his services. He would have to approve it but he may be ready to consider it. I would if I were him. But his contract situation is complicated. If Dak would approve a trade to a willing partner in a “sign and trade” type deal, some teams might do that for a first round pick.
    • But again…who is your QB then?
  • For everyone screaming for Dak to go…have you thought this through? I’m tired of watching Dak suck in big games but do we have better options with this front office?
  • This next point is big IMO. The biggest need for this team is for guys who can bring a physical and tough presence. And those positions of need include DT, LB, G, C and Tackle. Because watching that packer team completely dominate the LOS and impose their physical will on a supposedly better team was eye opening. Remember the Buffalo game? The bills just rammed it down our throats all day long. It was like watching a bully steal lunch money.
    • Only a blind homer would say the Cowboys are a physical team. We aren’t.
    • For those saying our defense dominated at times last year, I say not unless two things happened: 1. We get multiple turnovers and 2. Got a two score lead. When this team had to rely on its defense to keep them in the game while behind, it could not do it.
    • The running game was anemic all year. We need an upgrade to the OL and a new RB.

There are tons of players that could help this team. But as I watch the playoff games this weekend, it seems pretty clear the Cowboys - as they are currently constructed - are NOT that close.

The guy who is the dominant face of this franchise by design has had three decades to build a roster he selected, and coached by coaches he is “comfortable” with. And we have 4 wild card wins to show for all that. I only bring this up to remind us that when he says “we are close”, forgive me if I don’t have any confidence in that statement.

We need to get bigger, tougher and if many fans have their way, miraculously find a QB who is an improvement. That’s a tall order. But it starts with being honest, something this front office never seems to do. The Star needs a lot of mirrors these days when it comes to figuring out the problems. But they CAN be fixed if they recognize what they really need.
Move Micah back to LB and he can play DE on obvious pass downs. Keep his legs fresh for the entire season and prolong his career.

First year he had the 13 sacks. Basically the same as the last 2 years playing more at LB.

Offense will still always have to account for him, because he could blitz at any time.

He will enjoy and impact the game more than constantly being double and triple teamed.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OLcoach #1!!!!

This needs to be a transition year..

Look, we know Dak is not going to get you to the next level so what's the point?
We've been playing the "it the best we can do" game at the QB position for almost 30 years.

Enough.

Draft a guy who has the skills to get it done and develop him. Lance is a good start, but we need another , and he's out there somewhere .

Start with a low offer to Dak, we've seen enough, nice guy, plays well against crud teams.
He's got a stud WR group, TE, and a good pass blocking OL. We've played some horrific defenses this year, the worst group I've seen in maybe forever.
So he SEEMS like a world beater.
So Dak money? A low offer, take it, seek a trade, or prepare for competition.
No player is going to work his butt off all year knowing once you get to the playoffs your QB is going need a diaper change at halftime.
ENOUGH!
It's a simple formula, find a QB who will always lift your offense. He has to be consistent, even in adversity, he has to bounce back the next series. We haven't had that since Troy.
You can't turn your head and say what else can we do to make the dance when there's ONE GUY, IN ONE POSITION, who's going to drive the bus into the ditch.

It won't work, it's the same rerun movie.

Some are fine with the status quo.

Many Cowboy fans have never known better!!!

Let that sink in.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Make a serious attempt to sign Chris Jones. That’s step one in my opinion.
That would be a bold move that would immediately make our defense better. It’s exactly the kind of move this team needs. But it’s also the kind of move SJ won’t make for the almighty “cap restrictions” that several recent SB winners somehow can make.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Dak thing has never seemed complicated to me. He can't do what he's paid to do. So move on and try the next guy. Whether that's Trey Lance or a draft pick. Why the soap opera goodbye?

We're not risking anything by letting him go. If the next guy is a flop we won't win. Just like we don't win with Prescott. I don't see the difference. In fact I'll trade you a meaningless division title and first round playoff exit for a higher draft pick and an opportunity to audition a new QB who may be the guy. I already know the guy we have now isn't him.

I don't get why this is even in question.

I also fully understand we have the worst owner in professional sports and this stiff will get a new contract.
I think most would agree. If he hadn’t been able to advance further in 8 years it’s unlikely it could happen. And the same argument can be made with MM. The rest are mostly talking points based on personal beliefs.

The bigger issue IMO is why our ownership is still All In. Afterall we can only root for or try and reconstruct around who Jethro & Son feel most comfortable. It’s also why I’ve argued the Bar had been lowered . It is what it is.

The bigger fish to fry is in the Sky Box. And if their warm blanket is with what they know not much we can do. In other words whatever you or I think is meaningless.

It’s an easier or lazier road for them to stay with a 12 win caliber team even if it chokes or folds against better teams in playoffs. Starting over or risking hitting rock bottom rebuilding or finding another QB which they probably don’t trust themselves to find.

We have to analyze our situation much differently than we would other franchises because our priorities are out of whack.

dacoming

Reaction score
Let’s talk about what it will take to build this team into a true contender for a championship. So…What does this team need (besides a new GM?, lol) In order to fix this team’s many weaknesses, here are my big picture roster recommendations:
  • Before talking about any specific player, the first thing this team needs OVERALL is to recognize they aren’t as close as they like to think. This team is STILL way too soft, too small on defense, not nasty enough at DL, and still incapable of imposing its will on either side of the ball. DT, LB, OL, and RB are huge needs for this team.

• Everyone talks about needing another QB. And honestly, I’m ready to consider that. Dak is not as bad as way too many here think, but sometimes when your QB can’t seem to raise his level of play in the biggest moments, it becomes that much harder to make it happen the next time. BUT…then I start thinking about who will be his replacement? Ugh. It’s not that easy.
    • Trey Lance? Are we willing to just throw him the keys without any test drive? The guy the niners gave up on is our new starter? I’m not ready to say that.
    • The draft? Don’t see how with the 24th pick we can be reasonably sure that can produce someone who can step in and win playoff games. Besides the Jones front office somehow refuses year after to even consider drafting a QB early.
    • Cooper Rush? Please.
    • I wouldn’t mind seeing a trade for Dak because I guarantee there are teams who would like his services. He would have to approve it but he may be ready to consider it. I would if I were him. But his contract situation is complicated. If Dak would approve a trade to a willing partner in a “sign and trade” type deal, some teams might do that for a first round pick.
  • For everyone screaming for Dak to go…have you thought this through? I’m tired of watching Dak suck in big games but do we have better options with this front office?
  • This next point is big IMO. The biggest need for this team is for guys who can bring a physical and tough presence. And those positions of need include DT, LB, G, C and Tackle. Because watching that packer team completely dominate the LOS and impose their physical will on a supposedly better team was eye opening. Remember the Buffalo game? The bills just rammed it down our throats all day long. It was like watching a bully steal lunch money.
    • For those saying our defense dominated at times last year, I say not unless two things happened: 1. We get multiple turnovers and 2. Got a two score lead. When this team had to rely on its defense to keep them in the game while behind, it could not do it.
    • The running game was anemic all year. We need an upgrade to the OL and a new RB.

There are tons of players that could help this team. But as I watch the playoff games this weekend, it seems pretty clear the Cowboys - as they are currently constructed - are NOT that close.

The guy who is the dominant face of this franchise by design has had three decades to build a roster he selected, and coached by coaches he is “comfortable” with. And we have 4 wild card wins to show for all that. I only bring this up to remind us that when he says “we are close”, forgive me if I don’t have any confidence in that statement.

We need to get bigger, tougher and if many fans have their way, miraculously find a QB who is an improvement. That’s a tall order. But it starts with being honest, something this front office never seems to do. The Star needs a lot of mirrors these days when it comes to figuring out the problems. But they CAN be fixed if they recognize what they really need.
This team is not mentally tough, which is a reflection on the coaches and the players. This has been the main problem for years imo. They have a few good games, the media starts hyping them and they eat the cheese and lose. I think some are happy just to get a check...to hell with a SB.

kevm3

Reaction score
Remember when Justin Herbert was supposed to have a mind-blowing year once he got Kellen Moore over there? What happened? Didn't even make the play-offs.

Getting a new QB isn't going to fix fundamental CULTURE issues here and the new QB is likely just going to meld into the mediocrity culture. The WHOLE TEAM was unprepared against Green Bay. We got blew up on offense and defense.

The team said they were going to be a 'running team' last year, but then proceeded to take a TE instead of an O-lineman and drafted a gadget running back and the results pretty much turned out like we expected.

What kind of team and what kind of coaching do you think the new rookie QB will be surrounded with?

Chasing6

Reaction score

• Cooper Rush? Please.

Biggest problem is Jeruh, does not think they are broken.

Aven8

Reaction score

• Cooper Rush? Please.

Bob we said the same things about being soft when we lost to SF three seasons ago. Nothing has changed. We have limited picks, and no money to spend. Have to pay mega deals soon with Lamb and Micah. We still don’t even have a #2 WR. That doesn’t even count RB, Two LB’s, and secondary depth. Gilmore and Lewis are as good as gone.

Add into all that you have a QB that can win big games, and the potential loss of a really good DC.

It’s a mess

Chasing6

Reaction score
Bob we said the same things about being soft when we lost to SF three seasons ago. Nothing has changed. We have limited picks, and no money to spend. Have to pay mega deals soon with Lamb and Micah. We still don’t even have a #2 WR. That doesn’t even count RB, Two LB’s, and secondary depth. Gilmore and Lewis are as good as gone.

Add into all that you have a QB that can win big games, and the potential loss of a really good DC.

It’s a mess
Sometimes you have to sacrifice your queen to win the game. You would think Jerry learned that lesson early with the Herschel Walker trade.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The fact that they let Zeke go and actually thought Pollard was going to be just fine bogglings my mind beyond belief. Smaller/out of position players is bad enough, but Dallas just never did ANYTHING to improve the run game ALL season and offseason.
Look at the teams playing well late season, they run!

Aven8

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to sacrifice your queen to win the game. You would think Jerry learned that lesson early with the Herschel Walker trade.
If we had Herschel today he would never be traded, let’s be honest. Jimmy pulled that off.

We don’t trade players, we tell the media they might be traded and that blows up and than we never get any value

Chasing6

Reaction score
The fact that they let Zeke go and actually thought Pollard was going to be just fine bogglings my mind beyond belief. Smaller/out of position players is bad enough, but Dallas just never did ANYTHING to improve the run game ALL season and offseason.
Look at the teams playing well late season, they run!
The fact that you think we had a good running game with Zeke the year before is concerning.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
so you're saying Jerry needs to sacrifice dak and his lady purse?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It’s a mess
Its the cold truth.
If we had Herschel today he would never be traded, let’s be honest. Jimmy pulled that off.

We don’t trade players, we tell the media they might be traded and that blows up and than we never get any value
Actually our current FO tells the media our talented WR is not in our future plans then wonders why they can’t get better than a 5th round pick for him.

kskboys

Reaction score
I hope it's never fixed until the choker is gone, the same as when Garrett was here.

I'm loving it, it's like Christmas in January.

My misery loves company, who's with me. :p
Cap you’ve made it crystal clear how you feel. And I’m open to moving on from Dak. But, for everyone screaming for Dak to go…have you thought this through? I’m tired of watching Dak suck in big games too but do we have better options with this front office? Seriously, just getting rid of Dak doesn’t fix the other giant holes on this team.

What do you think?
Getting rid of Dak means a complete rebuild. That is not what this thread is about.