Fixing the trenches still is paramount

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It appears the Cowboys staff think the left guard/interior is the problem with the offense after hearing the insiders/ local talking heads. The question is do they think they have the left guard on the roster or do they believe they need to spend a top 2 round pick on the position. To get a quality 1 tech I think you gonna have to spend a high pick on that player. They really need a young 1 tech. Gholston will probably be the 3 tech after Osa.
The best 1 tech’s have come off the board in rd 3 last two drafts, that may be even too high for their liking. Roy from LSU is a 30 visit, that’s more the type they look to draft

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I was thinking the other way, with a slight trade down into round 2 while picking up additional draft picks this year.

Aside from a firm decision at left guard, they also need to decide whether to pay or quit with Biadasz at center.

I think you could do some good work with three picks in the second and third rounds and potentially fill needs at IOL, DT, and RB.
Taking either Schmitz or Avila protects them if Biaz wants big money or they decide to upgrade the position as both can also play Center.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Taking either Schmitz or Avila protects them if Biaz wants big money or they decide to upgrade the position as both can also play Center.
Yep. And it’s why I would be good with drafting either one.

Build the trenches.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
What is big money for Badacz? I bet he will cheaper to sign then Steele who will be a problem to sign.

T-RO

Reaction score
If you take a guard within the top 3 rounds, the expectation is they will start day 1.
Yes, but that might not be true this year. Crappy draft class in a number of areas, including iOL.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yes, center are cheaper then tackles
Keep an eye on Welesko. I don’t think the Cowboys want to pay Steele. Nick said during the season that the Cowboys made him an offer but his agent rejected it. Steele appears to want to cash in. He has not signed his tender yet and is working hard to get back. I wonder if someone did sign him to a long term deal would the Cowboys just take the 2nd round pick.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
We don’t need a 1st rd guard, but one might there available in rd 2, both Schmitz, Avila are considered on most sites as firm day 2 prospects. Perhaps a small trade up.

Think they have to continue to add talent inside along the defensive line. Find versatile lineman who can play anywhere is the key. If our prospects need some development, find bridge veterans, which Hankins certainly is.
I wouldn’t be upset with a 1 used at either the guard or centre position because I think Dak needs more time to go through his reads. I would be happier with a short trade down then, BPA. I would like a starter or upgrade at a position.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Keep an eye on Welesko. I don’t think the Cowboys want to pay Steele. Nick said during the season that the Cowboys made him an offer but his agent rejected it. Steele appears to want to cash in. He has not signed his tender yet and is working hard to get back. I wonder if someone did sign him to a long term deal would the Cowboys just take the 2nd round pick.
Something to keep your eye on, but if they want to keep him, they will

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be upset with a 1 used at either the guard or centre position because I think Dak needs more time to go through his reads. I would be happier with a short trade down then, BPA. I would like a starter or upgrade at a position.
Think the new offense will allow Dak to get the ball more quickly, he just will be reading one side, rather than the whole field. Not sure I want to use another 1st rd pick, but fine on day 2

kevinhickey

Reaction score
Think the new offense will allow Dak to get the ball more quickly, he just will be reading one side, rather than the whole field. Not sure I want to use another 1st rd pick, but fine on day 2
That seems like a smart thing to do with Dak. Wish they came up with that last year.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
We don’t need a 1st rd guard, but one might there available in rd 2, both Schmitz, Avila are considered on most sites as firm day 2 prospects. Perhaps a small trade up.

Think they have to continue to add talent inside along the defensive line. Find versatile lineman who can play anywhere is the key. If our prospects need some development, find bridge veterans, which Hankins certainly is.
A lot of fans feel snake bit by the Taco bust.
If there is a quality DT that we had ranked higher falling to 26, then by all means make the pick.
Just dont reach out of desperation, I believe they have done a pretty decent job of avoiding that scenario again.

cnuball21

Reaction score
What is big money for Badacz? I bet he will cheaper to sign than Steele who will be a problem to sign.
I’d guess around 8 mil. Steele is going to demand 15+.

For that reason I’d 100% consider a RT at 26. If someone like Wright from TN is available he’d be a great pick IMO. Not sure if he could play LG year 1 but makes Steel expendabale.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I’d guess around 8 mil. Steele is going to demand 15+.

For that reason I’d 100% consider a RT at 26. If someone like Wright from TN is available he’d be a great pick IMO. Not sure if he could play LG year 1 but makes Steel expendabale.
We have discussed this before. Left Tackle has good chance to be the best position available at 26. Just put Tyler at left guard.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We have discussed this before. Left Tackle has good chance to be the best position available at 26. Just put Tyler at left guard.
I like the idea of moving Tyler to LG but I think the Cowboys have made their minds up he’s the LT of the future…

I also think we have a better chance of a stud RT falling.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I like the idea of moving Tyler to LG but I think the Cowboys have made their minds up he’s the LT of the future…

I also think we have a better chance of a stud RT falling.
I hear you. I would like to have 4 tackles and figure out were to play with them in camp.