Florio: Dak to skip Cowboys' virtual offseason

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Technically, he isn't a member of the Cowboys team.

Exactly...……..a lot of posters here seem to think that if you tag a player, he is under contract to you.

THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS!!!

The tag simply keeps Dak from negotiating with another team, that is it. And Dak has decided not to sign the tag yet, which is his right under the CBA, and thus he is considered without a contract. He currently is NOT a member of the Dallas Cowboys.

So all these posts that the team needs to trade him to Cinci or some other wasteland team "to teach him a lesson" are laughable. You cannot trade a player that is not under contract to your team. You cannot fine a player for missing meetings, OTAs, training camp, even preseason games if they are not under contract.

Dak is currently NOT a member of the Dallas Cowboys, they just have his rights but he is not contractually obligated to Dallas in any way.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Which is another point I believe he is missing, if we're continuing on the "role model" path for the kiddos.

If you have given your "all" to said company, and they still don't value you? Get out. You don't bring everyone down with you to prove a point. That's selfish at this point, not valiant or heroic.
That's a complete overdramatization of what's going on here. He's not bringing everyone down with him. It's business as usual, well, as usual as can be for the Cowboys. Monday they will begin learning the scheme that McCarthy has planned. McCarthy sent Dak an iPod with that information on it so he can learn it as his discretion. Nothing is being held up or brought down. They aren't meeting face to face so let's not overreact like the sky is falling. :rolleyes:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I sort of am, too. And I really did like most of these guys from 2016 on.

I do like Dak. And I don’t fault him for playing hardball. But avoiding the offensive implementation with the offer that’s on the table would bother me. Just sign the tag and be there for your team.

Elliot’s holdout last season set entirely the wrong tone for the season. We don’t have enough junkyard dogs on defense and we’re starting to look like a group of high-profile underachievers. The good young players I wanted to see take the next steps have sorted stayed in place without becoming dominant. There aren’t a lot of young guys to get really excited about.

Put it together with how poorly the league is run under Goodell’s watch, and it’s not a good trend.

Idgit I read your post 3 times looking for something to disagree with and I came up empty handed every time! :laugh:
Nice post, I totally agree! :D

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
FWIW. Didn't watch the video

Source: Dak to skip Cowboys' virtual offseason

A source tells Mike Florio Dak Prescott will skip the Cowboys' virtual offseason program as he still waits on a long-term deal with Dallas.

First off that virtual offseason is no different than the offseason workouts prior to the pandemic and ARE NOT mandatory and can't even be participated in unless under contract or signed franchise tag. Don't start screaming the sky is falling until Prescott starts to miss mandatory functions.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
lol skipping virtual meetings. what a time.
Yup, must be pretty rough when a team leader can't bring himself to support his team with even a "Virtual" meeting. Especially when you have a new management team in place.
Just once I'd love to see Jerry take a stand and say hey, you want to work? Here's the job. You don't want to work? You're trade bait.
Take it or leave it.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Exactly...……..a lot of posters here seem to think that if you tag a player, he is under contract to you.
THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS!!! The tag simply keeps Dak from negotiating with another team, that is it. And Dak has decided not to sign the tag yet, which is his right under the CBA, and thus he is considered without a contract. He currently is NOT a member of the Dallas Cowboys. So all these posts that the team needs to trade him to Cinci or some other wasteland team "to teach him a lesson" are laughable. You cannot trade a player that is not under contract to your team. You cannot fine a player for missing meetings, OTAs, training camp, even preseason games if they are not under contract. Dak is currently NOT a member of the Dallas Cowboys, they just have his rights but he is not contractually obligated to Dallas in any way.

That sword cuts both ways Beast, if he's not contractually obligated to Dallas, then Dallas is not contractually obligated to Dak. No work, no contract, no paycheck. And he can't go anywhere else.
If I was the Dallas Cowboys right now, I'd start interviewing QBs for the draft, see if we could draft a QB that wants to work.
See if Dak wakes up.
Ask him if he wants to be the starter or the backup. :muttley:

Last edited:

cowboyed

Reaction score
I like Dak, and I believe he is very underrated as the starting quarterback by a number of fans in this forum. He doesn't deserve all the blame for our recent dismal regular season. If that is the case why so gleeful that the Cowboys shed Garrett and no one cried when just about the entire coaching staff was canned when McCarthy came on board.

Also it seems when there is any whiff of controversial or bad Dak news from the media some are eager to pounce on it as the gospel truth instead of waiting for more information and clarifications. Case in point is when news circulated that Dak held this massive 30+ people party in the face of the pandemic. That turned out to be a gross exaggeration. Dak clarified and thus far it has not been refuted that he held a dinner and the number in that soiree was 10. He even indicated that he is striving to follow the social requirements of minimizing close contact with others, implying he is not perfect - unlike the rest of us that practice social distancing and daily decontamination procedures flawlessly (sarcasm). I bet there aren't many retractions from those that jumped to conclusion over that hyped up negative party news.

Having stated that, I am disappointed that Dak isn't joining the virtual off-season program since he is the unquestionable leader of our team on the field. I understand that technically he is not an member of the team having been given the franchise tag. However, It's not like he has had inequitable contract term and compensation offers and that the Cowboys and he are a million miles apart.

Applying the franchise tag can be damaging to both Dak and the Dallas Cowboys as Aikman recently alluded. In this case Dak hasn't even signed the franchise tag yet although there is still time to get it done or come to terms. So either he still believes a deal to his liking will get eventually done or he will hold out. Why not move forward on goodwill, as well as team psychological necessity, and join the virtual off-season program as the undisputed leader of this team. It's a two way street of give and take.

Ironically this uncertainty with Dak's contract would be a huge distraction but in reality it is overshadowed by the COVID-19 pandemic which may result in a 2020 NFL season not happening.

Last edited:

MaineBoy

Reaction score
I like Dak, and I believe he is very underrated as the starting quarterback by a number of fans in this forum. He doesn't deserve all the blame for our recent dismal regular season. If that is the case why so gleeful that the Cowboys shed Garrett and no one cried when just about the entire coaching staff was canned when McCarthy came on board.

Also it seems when there is any whiff of controversial or bad Dak news from the media some are eager to pounce on it as the gospel truth instead of waiting for more information and clarifications. Case in point is when news circulated that Dak held this massive 30+ people party in the face of the pandemic. That turned out to be a gross exaggeration. Dak clarified and thus far it has not been refuted that he held a dinner and the number in that soiree was 10. He even indicated that he is striving to follow the social requirements of minimizing close contact with others, implying he is not perfect - unlike the rest of us that practice social distancing and daily decontamination procedures flawlessly (sarcasm). I bet there aren't many retractions from those that jumped to conclusion over that hyped up negative party news.

Having stated that, I am disappointed that Dak isn't joining the virtual off-season program since he is the unquestionable leader of our team on the field. I understand that technically he is not an member of the team having been given the franchise tag. However, It's not like he has had inequitable contract term and compensation offers and that the Cowboys and he are a million miles apart.

Applying the franchise tag can be damaging to both Dak and the Dallas Cowboys as Aikman recently alluded. In this case Dak hasn't even signed the franchise tag yet although there is still time to get it done or come to terms. So either he still believes a deal to his liking will get eventually done or he will hold out. Why not move forward on goodwill, as well as team psychological necessity, and join the virtual off-season program as the undisputed leader of this team. It's a two way street of give and take.

Ironically this uncertainty with Dak's contract would be a huge distraction but in reality it is overshadowed by the COVID-19 pandemic which may result in a 2020 NFL season not happening.

Garrett and crew sucked, so there is the source of the glee they are gone. Who but Dak deserves the criticism for inaccurate passes thrown above, behind, or low to receivers ? And social distancing in the face of a fatal pandemic probably shouldn’t include having a dinner party to socialize with your friends, whether it is 30 or 10 people. This is not a time most people are throwing dinner parties. Not a good look.

basel90

Reaction score
Yeah..

And its clear for everybody following along.

Dak is for Dak and everything we have done for Dak we owed him.

Now he is ready for his entitlement.

I have a huge laugh thinking if one of you owned a company..

and had a really good employee who made you money..

and suddenly wanted to own part of your company and pay himself a huge pay raise in order to stay..

that you guys would just say 'sure...what ever you need".

Yeah..right.

Good luck with your next team Dak. Few in Cowboyland are going to really mourn your passing.

Trust us.
Unfortunately Jerry will cave as usual and already gave him 100 mil + . Don’t see many teams clamoring for a trade for our supposed star QB , nor does Jerry realize it is better moving away from Dak , if the goal is to win a super bowl .

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
No, you cannot trade a player that is not under contract and since Dak has not signed his franchise tag, he is officially not under contract to the Cowboys.

As a 4th round draft pick he signed a 4 year deal and completed all 4 years, so he has completed his contractual obligation to the Cowboys, the only reason he could not go sign with another team is because of the franchise tag that Dallas applied. But Dak never signed the tag, as is his right under the CBA, so technically he is no longer under contract to the Cowboys.

Ergo, Dak cannot be traded and he cannot be fined for missing any team activities, including training camp and preseason games until he signs his tender. But here is the kicker fellas, the entire $32 million franchise tag is applied to the Cowboy's cap whether Dak signs or not.
WOW:thumbdown:

So basically if Dallas wants to trade him, Dak has to agree he will sign the tender for the trade to occur.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
See, this is what happens when you pay Jaylon after just 1 good season, when you pay DLaw when he refused to get the surgery he needed until he got paid, this is what happens when you pay Zeke when he holds out with 2 years left on his contract.

This stuff sends a message to the other players that when it comes time for them to get theirs, play hard ball.

Jerry and Steven are easy marks now, so any player that is half way decent knows he can fleece them.
total BS position player money and qb money are two different things. The QB is like an executive within the ranks. They are supposed to behave in a different way than the rest of the players. Dak is acting like a WR, not a QB. Its all good for me because I never thought he was worth the kind of money he is asking for. So go ahead and hold out Dak..... the front office is not caving on this and it makes me happy to not see the cap destroyed over a second tier qb.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Unfortunately Jerry will cave as usual and already gave him 100 mil + . Don’t see many teams clamoring for a trade for our supposed star QB , nor does Jerry realize it is better moving away from Dak , if the goal is to win a super bowl .
how the hell do you know what teams have or have not done behnd the scenes? and you can speak for what Jerry does or does not realize? smh....

MikeB80

Reaction score
total BS position player money and qb money are two different things. The QB is like an executive within the ranks. They are supposed to behave in a different way than the rest of the players. Dak is acting like a WR, not a QB. Its all good for me because I never thought he was worth the kind of money he is asking for. So go ahead and hold out Dak..... the front office is not caving on this and it makes me happy to not see the cap destroyed over a second tier qb.

he is getting his money and he is going to be among the highest paid players in the league if not the highest.

and it changes nothing. He is a mediocre player who people prop up by talking about his leadership skills and his degree in psychology.

yet time after time he shows he is not a leader off the field and rarely brings the team from behind to win with an incredible group of talent on offense around him. He was horrific when the talent dropped a little in 17.

He is getting his money though and the team is headed nowhere with him playing the position.

morat1959

Reaction score
he is getting his money and he is going to be among the highest paid players in the league if not the highest.

and it changes nothing. He is a mediocre player who people prop up by talking about his leadership skills and his degree in psychology.

yet time after time he shows he is not a leader off the field and rarely brings the team from behind to win with an incredible group of talent on offense around him. He was horrific when the talent dropped a little in 17.

He is getting his money though and the team is headed nowhere with him playing the position.
I hope you’re wrong but JJ...the wanna be GM.....has been making mistakes like this for a long time.

Adreme

Reaction score
That sword cuts both ways Beast, if he's not contractually obligated to Dallas, then Dallas is not contractually obligated to Dak. No work, no contract, no paycheck. And he can't go anywhere else.
If I was the Dallas Cowboys right now, I'd start interviewing QBs for the draft, see if we could draft a QB that wants to work.
See if Dak wakes up.
Ask him if he wants to be the starter or the backup. :muttley:

I mean they are free to do that, but he knows its an empty threat. You are not paying him that much to be the backup and if they let him walk he probably signs a short 1 year deal right now with the guarantee of no tag and then shatters the market next year and Dallas gets nothing. Its an empty threat and Dak knows it. There is no leverage in these negotiations; there is no getting leverage in these negotiations. unless you are willing to waste a 1st round pick and even then you still do not have leverage because Dak knows he can just wait a year under the tag and set the record contract next year.

basel90

Reaction score
how the hell do you know what teams have or have not done behnd the scenes? and you can speak for what Jerry does or does not realize? smh....
1- we know Jerry offered Dak 33-35 mil for 5 years , so Jerry is in on Dak .
2- we know teams will offer if Jerry listens . Some GMs out there may bite on Dak .
3- it is all academic now anyway due to point #1 , a deal is imminent unfortunately and we are stuck with Mr. mediocre Dak .