Florio: Dak to skip Cowboys' virtual offseason

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I mean they are free to do that, but he knows its an empty threat. You are not paying him that much to be the backup and if they let him walk he probably signs a short 1 year deal right now with the guarantee of no tag and then shatters the market next year and Dallas gets nothing. Its an empty threat and Dak knows it. There is no leverage in these negotiations; there is no getting leverage in these negotiations. unless you are willing to waste a 1st round pick and even then you still do not have leverage because Dak knows he can just wait a year under the tag and set the record contract next year.

But correct me if I'm wrong......if Dak doesn't sign the tag, Dak doesn't get paid, and he can't go anywhere else, right?
I don't think Dak wants to sit out a year, especially without pay.
I suppose if they found a chance to draft a QB they like they could just let Dak walk.

Like I said earlier I like Dak but I can't see giving him elite pay without elite play.

Last edited:

Adreme

Reaction score
But correct me if I'm wrong......if Dak doesn't sign the tag, Dak doesn't get paid, and he can't go anywhere else, right?
I suppose if they found a chance to draft a QB they like they could just let Dak walk.

He is not going to sit out a year, but he gets paid in game checks so he has no incentive to sign and show up until its game check time. As a QB he can play under the franchise tag knowing the number only goes up over time. but he has zero incentive to sign it until right before the games start, because that both maximizes his leverage, and makes it impossible for Dallas to trade him without his permission. Of course it also hurts Dallas being unable to have a true offseason program and communicate properly to the QB because, as he is not under contract, there are limitations as to communication between him and the Dallas coaches.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
He is not going to sit out a year, but he gets paid in game checks so he has no incentive to sign and show up until its game check time. As a QB he can play under the franchise tag knowing the number only goes up over time. but he has zero incentive to sign it until right before the games start, because that both maximizes his leverage, and makes it impossible for Dallas to trade him without his permission. Of course it also hurts Dallas being unable to have a true offseason program and communicate properly to the QB because, as he is not under contract, there are limitations as to communication between him and the Dallas coaches.

This is why his leverage is even stronger than Zeke's. The team leaned on Zeke for the 3 years and Zeke told them to pay him or rely on their 4th Round rookie RB (or some other scrap heap RB) to carry the load he has. Dak is now daring the Cowboys to do the same but from the most important position on the team: Find a scrap heap free agent QB or get one in the draft at No.17. Odds aren't great in the top 10, let alone at 17.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Like I said earlier I like Dak but I can't see giving him elite pay without elite play.
Wentz got elite pay without elite play. That's just how the market for QBs has shaped up.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Exactly...……..a lot of posters here seem to think that if you tag a player, he is under contract to you.

THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS!!!

The tag simply keeps Dak from negotiating with another team, that is it. And Dak has decided not to sign the tag yet, which is his right under the CBA, and thus he is considered without a contract. He currently is NOT a member of the Dallas Cowboys.

So all these posts that the team needs to trade him to Cinci or some other wasteland team "to teach him a lesson" are laughable. You cannot trade a player that is not under contract to your team. You cannot fine a player for missing meetings, OTAs, training camp, even preseason games if they are not under contract.

Dak is currently NOT a member of the Dallas Cowboys, they just have his rights but he is not contractually obligated to Dallas in any way.
I understand ever word you said and even though its the truth, Dak is not good enough to go down this path. Its full of stones and he doesn't have any shoes on.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand ever word you said and even though its the truth, Dak is not good enough to go down this path. Its full of stones and he doesn't have any shoes on.
The "path" is the contract negotiation, and without knowing the details of what the two sides want, how do you know he isn't good enough to go down that path?

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It was stated before, that he would not attend the actual off-season. Why is virtual off-season news?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think being successful is much better than what the Commanders have been doing. I've always liked Cousins. He had that stain on his resume for not showing up in primetime games but overall I liked him as a quarterback. He surely doesn't belong in the company of bad quarterbacks that people try to put him in. And hell I'd rather have him than Jimmy G.

We agree. I like Cousins more then a lot of others do, as well.

Swagger

Reaction score
Wentz got elite pay without elite play. That's just how the market for QBs has shaped up.

Firstly, it's not really elite pay is it - it's pretty much a wash with what Cousins is being paid over the next few seasons. Further, he is under contract through the 2024. No messing about - he wanted to play for the Eagles and they want him, they got the deal done quickly. He didn't hold out and insist upon a shorter contract so that he could potentially benefit more from the impending CBA...he loves playing football, he already has a ring and he wants to actually get it done himself in the post season next time round. I respect both the organisation and him for just getting it done, as other people have previously mentioned on here, negotiations involve a bit of give and take, a compromise on both sides to a certain degree. I'm sure Colin Cowherd would have a suitable divorce analogy for how Prescott has negotiated with the Cowboys!

I guess we have different definitions on what constitutes "elite play". The way he played in the final four regular season games of last season with every game needing to be won supported by a depleted roster to reach the play offs...well it doesn't get much better than that. And when they won the Superbowl, well people will bang on about how he didn't play in the post season but in reality, they wouldn't have had the #1 seed without his play during the regular season. Considering he was the outright favourite for winning regular season MVP with what 2-3 games remaining, then that is elite play whatever way you try to chop it up. People can question his durability - sure fill your boots. But I do not understand the arguments against him last season - he played in 16 regular season games and any NFL player could suffer a concussion, especially when being hit on the back of the head. I just do not understand criticism of any player suffering a concussion, it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Firstly, it's not really elite pay is it - it's pretty much a wash with what Cousins is being paid over the next few seasons. Further, he is under contract through the 2024. No messing about - he wanted to play for the Eagles and they want him, they got the deal done quickly. He didn't hold out and insist upon a shorter contract so that he could potentially benefit more from the impending CBA...he loves playing football, he already has a ring and he wants to actually get it done himself in the post season next time round. I respect both the organisation and him for just getting it done, as other people have previously mentioned on here, negotiations involve a bit of give and take, a compromise on both sides to a certain degree. I'm sure Colin Cowherd would have a suitable divorce analogy for how Prescott has negotiated with the Cowboys!

I guess we have different definitions on what constitutes "elite play". The way he played in the final four regular season games of last season with every game needing to be won supported by a depleted roster to reach the play offs...well it doesn't get much better than that. And when they won the Superbowl, well people will bang on about how he didn't play in the post season but in reality, they wouldn't have had the #1 seed without his play during the regular season. Considering he was the outright favourite for winning regular season MVP with what 2-3 games remaining, then that is elite play whatever way you try to chop it up. People can question his durability - sure fill your boots. But I do not understand the arguments against him last season - he played in 16 regular season games and any NFL player could suffer a concussion, especially when being hit on the back of the head. I just do not understand criticism of any player suffering a concussion, it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
First, Wentz's contract extension isn't for 6 years, its for 4, and it hasn't started yet, What he gets paid this year and what he got paid last year is just finising out his rookie contract, so it's not right to act as if his extension money is spread over a 6 year contract.

As for Wentz not holding out, he was still bound by a contract, and Dak is not. They aren't the same situations.

As for length, is Dak asking for a shorter contract, or are the Cowboys asking for a longer contract? We can't know for sure, but reports have indicated it's the Cowboys asking for a longer than typical contract, and if that's the case, it's wrong to blame Dak for the disagreement on length.

As for give and take, how do you know Dak hasn't given? We don't know which side is standing firm, or even if it's both sides.

Swagger

Reaction score
First, Wentz's contract extension isn't for 6 years, its for 4, and it hasn't started yet, What he gets paid this year and what he got paid last year is just finising out his rookie contract, so it's not right to act as if his extension money is spread over a 6 year contract.

As for Wentz not holding out, he was still bound by a contract, and Dak is not. They aren't the same situations.

As for length, is Dak asking for a shorter contract, or are the Cowboys asking for a longer contract? We can't know for sure, but reports have indicated it's the Cowboys asking for a longer than typical contract, and if that's the case, it's wrong to blame Dak for the disagreement on length.

As for give and take, how do you know Dak hasn't given? We don't know which side is standing firm, or even if it's both sides.

Yes from the 2021 season Carson Wentz will be paid $128 million until the end of the 2024 season with $107 million guaranteed. Works out at $32 million a season obviously how much guaranteed is variable over each season.

If the CBA is going to blow up the QB market like people seem to think then the Wentz deal will look like a bargain. Even if doesn't, that looks like a good deal based on what he has done and what the team has achieved over the past four seasons.

Reports are that Prescott was offered $33 million a season. How much guaranteed money is what we do not really know? Even so, if he signed the tender then he would be guaranteeing himself what $30 odd million this season - yet he hasn't signed it. That would suggest that guaranteed money isn't the issue as surely he would just sign the tender and earn an even bigger contract at the Cowboys or somewhere else next season?

The strong indication is that he wants to benefit from two huge contracts so ultimately it is about money and not just wanting to win a Superbowl, if it was the latter then he would sign a long term contract. What has been reported is Prescott wants a shorter contract and as we all know the Cowboys traditionally prefer offering long term contracts to their players so again, this would add up.

Objectively, $33 million a season with x amount guaranteed (I don't think it will be a low figure, likely similar to Wentz and Goff as that was the market for them and the base is higher than Wentz), the endorsements etc from being the quarterback of the Cowboys (how many adverts does Prescott currently have?) plus even after retiring traditionally playing QB for the Cowboys almost guarantees media work in some form. So I can understand why even Prescott fans are thinking why has it taken over 18 months to finalise a deal - we know that Prescott was offered being paid Top 5 QB money, how much guaranteed and the length ok we do not know for sure but Top 5 QB money is a damn good starting point and he just isn't worth in the region of $35-$40 million a season.

revospeed

Reaction score
The same number that Jimmy G "led" his team to. 0. Jimmy G did not "lead" that team it was the defense but ok.

And once we vastly overpay for Dak, people will use our defense full of JAGs as an excuse as to why we are a middling team. If Dak wants a defense like the Niners, he's going to have to get paid like Jimmy G. He simply isn't as good as Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers and Jackson and he can't carry a team to a championship.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And once we vastly overpay for Dak, people will use our defense full of JAGs as an excuse as to why we are a middling team. If Dak wants a defense like the Niners, he's going to have to get paid like Jimmy G. He simply isn't as good as Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers and Jackson and he can't carry a team to a championship.

Uhhh....Jimmy G is one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the league.........49ers defense is where its at because they sucked for so long and piled up top picks. Those guys are all on rookie deals.

shabazz

Reaction score
This is why his leverage is even stronger than Zeke's. The team leaned on Zeke for the 3 years and Zeke told them to pay him or rely on their 4th Round rookie RB (or some other scrap heap RB) to carry the load he has. Dak is now daring the Cowboys to do the same but from the most important position on the team: Find a scrap heap free agent QB or get one in the draft at No.17. Odds aren't great in the top 10, let alone at 17.

I would agree that he has leverage IF the team was ready to win right now. It will take at least two seasons to get the defense and ST’s up to par for competing for a SB. There is plenty of time to buy or develop a Qb in that time frame.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Who would of thought that by Dak not getting his LONG TERM contract he would turn into this little primadonna. Because he hasn't gotten his way and has started to show his TRUE COLORS, JJ & Co need to draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd rd. I HOPE & PRAY we don't see this 8-8 little prima getting signed for the big bucks anytime soon.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
I mean they are free to do that, but he knows its an empty threat. You are not paying him that much to be the backup and if they let him walk he probably signs a short 1 year deal right now with the guarantee of no tag and then shatters the market next year and Dallas gets nothing. Its an empty threat and Dak knows it. There is no leverage in these negotiations; there is no getting leverage in these negotiations. unless you are willing to waste a 1st round pick and even then you still do not have leverage because Dak knows he can just wait a year under the tag and set the record contract next year.

shatters the market next year ? You talk about him like he’s got Mahome’s ability and Ring. Dak would get a pretty rude reality check if he went on the open market. This is just another case of Jerry overvaluing a player and bidding against himself. Dak’s worst nightmare is going on the open market and see what real nfl people think of his ability and worth.

Adreme

Reaction score
shatters the market next year ? You talk about him like he’s got Mahome’s ability and Ring. Dak would get a pretty rude reality check if he went on the open market. This is just another case of Jerry overvaluing a player and bidding against himself. Dak’s worst nightmare is going on the open market and see what real nfl people think of his ability and worth.

Franchise QB on the open market resets market every single time because franchise QBs in their prime do not hit the open market often. On the open market this year he would easily have gotten 4 years 160 without from multiple teams because players on Dak's level do not hit free agency. Teams just do not let it happen. QB's a tier below Dak were getting deals that were top of the market and that was when teams had control over their contracts and there was no bidding war.

Basically its foolish to think Dak would not reset the market easily. Even the largest Dak hater has to see that that would happen. Also note that the best player at a position often does not have the largest contract at said position even when you factor out the rookie deals.

revospeed

Reaction score
Uhhh....Jimmy G is one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the league.........49ers defense is where its at because they sucked for so long and piled up top picks. Those guys are all on rookie deals.

Uhhh... Do you know what you're talking about? Jimmy G. is the 9th highest paid QB in the league at $27 million a season based on his average salary of his contract. He was only paid $17 million this past season. Dak wants at least $35 million a year. Dak isn't $17 million better than Jimmy G. You could get a few Pro Bowl defenders with the monetary difference between the two.

Would you rather have Jimmy G., Danielle Hunter and Malcolm Butler or Dak?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Only the beginning. IF there's football this year, and the way Dak's been acting, I don't see him taking a snap anytime soon.

He's become a headache for this team. It's critical MM gets a decent backup.