Florio: Dak to skip Cowboys' virtual offseason

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes from the 2021 season Carson Wentz will be paid $128 million until the end of the 2024 season with $107 million guaranteed. Works out at $32 million a season obviously how much guaranteed is variable over each season.

If the CBA is going to blow up the QB market like people seem to think then the Wentz deal will look like a bargain. Even if doesn't, that looks like a good deal based on what he has done and what the team has achieved over the past four seasons.

Reports are that Prescott was offered $33 million a season. How much guaranteed money is what we do not really know? Even so, if he signed the tender then he would be guaranteeing himself what $30 odd million this season - yet he hasn't signed it. That would suggest that guaranteed money isn't the issue as surely he would just sign the tender and earn an even bigger contract at the Cowboys or somewhere else next season?

The strong indication is that he wants to benefit from two huge contracts so ultimately it is about money and not just wanting to win a Superbowl, if it was the latter then he would sign a long term contract. What has been reported is Prescott wants a shorter contract and as we all know the Cowboys traditionally prefer offering long term contracts to their players so again, this would add up.

Objectively, $33 million a season with x amount guaranteed (I don't think it will be a low figure, likely similar to Wentz and Goff as that was the market for them and the base is higher than Wentz), the endorsements etc from being the quarterback of the Cowboys (how many adverts does Prescott currently have?) plus even after retiring traditionally playing QB for the Cowboys almost guarantees media work in some form. So I can understand why even Prescott fans are thinking why has it taken over 18 months to finalise a deal - we know that Prescott was offered being paid Top 5 QB money, how much guaranteed and the length ok we do not know for sure but Top 5 QB money is a damn good starting point and he just isn't worth in the region of $35-$40 million a season.

Assuming Wentz stays healthy, his contract may well look like a bargain in a year or two as you indicated. Prices keep going up. When Mahomes signs that may blow everything out of the water.

AS for Dak, he problem is that signing a tender now doesn't give him the $100+ guarantee, of the big signing bonus will be paid up front, so naturally he would prefer to get that worked out now. There is no guarantee how things will look next year, and even if things looked better for his negotiating position, I doubt he wants to start a new negotiation from scratch.

There is part of me that wonders if Jerry is just keeping things on hold to keep the Cowboys in the news in the absence of any team activities. I'm not normally one that buys into that kind of speculation, but in this case I'm wondering a little. It's hard to believe the two sides haven't covered all the ground by now.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Right, so can't count on him, so draft a QB. That is my take now days as the draft approaches. What, 9 days away.
This pushes Dak to sign, the we have a back up plan and possibly trade potential in the future for the drafted QB or a possible future QB if Dak does not work out on his tag. If he signs.

The more I think about it, drafting a QB at 17 is a win win.

What QB will be available at 17 that’s not a reach?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Uhhh... Do you know what you're talking about? Jimmy G. is the 9th highest paid QB in the league at $27 million a season based on his average salary of his contract. He was only paid $17 million this past season. Dak wants at least $35 million a year. Dak isn't $17 million better than Jimmy G. You could get a few Pro Bowl defenders with the monetary difference between the two.

Would you rather have Jimmy G., Danielle Hunter and Malcolm Butler or Dak?
Malcolm Butler? You are just saying whatever comes off in your head.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-14472/

According to Spotrac Garpolo has a cap hit of 26.6 million.

Dak Prescott signed a 1 year, $28,728,536 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including an average annual salary of $28,728,536. In 2020, Prescott will earn a base salary of $28,728,536, while carrying a cap hit of $28,728,536.

How you came up with 17 million is BEEEYOOOONNNNNDDDDDDDD ME.

And not only that but you can get a "few" Pro Bowl defenders for the difference between the two?

:laugh:

revospeed

Reaction score
Malcolm Butler? You are just saying whatever comes off in your head.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-14472/

According to Spotrac Garpolo has a cap hit of 26.6 million.

Dak Prescott signed a 1 year, $28,728,536 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including an average annual salary of $28,728,536. In 2020, Prescott will earn a base salary of $28,728,536, while carrying a cap hit of $28,728,536.

How you came up with 17 million is BEEEYOOOONNNNNDDDDDDDD ME.

And not only that but you can get a "few" Pro Bowl defenders for the difference between the two?

:laugh:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/salary.htm

That's where I got the 17 million. I guess there is difference between salary and cap hit. You are correct and I apologize for the condescending tone I had in my previous post.

I still think that Dak does not play like a top 3 QB and shouldn't be paid like he is. I would rather pay Jimmy G. $27 million than pay Dak $35-$38 million.

John813

Reaction score

That's where I got the 17 million. I guess there is difference between salary and cap hit. You are correct and I apologize for the condescending tone I had in my previous post.

I still think that Dak does not play like a top 3 QB and shouldn't be paid like he is. I would rather pay Jimmy G. $27 million than pay Dak $35-$38 million.

Correct. Base salary is what is actually paid out to the players over the 16 week season.
Cap hit includes base salary + prorated signing bonus.

You have to remember though when Jimmy signed his deal he was made the #1 paid QB per AAV at the time.
And that was only 2 years ago.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

That's fair. I wouldn't but I understand some that would. I personally think Dak is better and has been better for longer. I've only seen Jimmy G play one whole year.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Uhhh... Do you know what you're talking about? Jimmy G. is the 9th highest paid QB in the league at $27 million a season based on his average salary of his contract. He was only paid $17 million this past season. Dak wants at least $35 million a year. Dak isn't $17 million better than Jimmy G. You could get a few Pro Bowl defenders with the monetary difference between the two.

You say Dak isnt 17m better than Jimmy G. You are using Dak avg annual he wants(based on reports) and Jimmy G actual cap hit. That not the same thing and you should know that since you also pointed out that Jimmy G avg annual is 27m. Its really 27.5m but im not going split hairs.

Its convenient you used his cap hit from last year and not his cap hit the 1st year of his contract which was a 37m cap hit. He was paid 42.6m in the 1st year. They front loaded that contract.

He is actually the 11th higest paid but Ill leave out Dak since hes tagged and Brissett since its a odd contract. So llike you said, hes the 9th highest paid QB. In 2018 when he signed his deal, it made him the highest paid QB in the NFL. By the time the season started, Cousins, Ryan and Rodgers all passed him and we was the 4th highest paid. Funny how that works, isnt it. He goes from 1st to 4th in about 6 months. Then goes from 4th to 9th with in a year.

Swagger

Reaction score
Assuming Wentz stays healthy, his contract may well look like a bargain in a year or two as you indicated. Prices keep going up. When Mahomes signs that may blow everything out of the water.

AS for Dak, he problem is that signing a tender now doesn't give him the $100+ guarantee, of the big signing bonus will be paid up front, so naturally he would prefer to get that worked out now. There is no guarantee how things will look next year, and even if things looked better for his negotiating position, I doubt he wants to start a new negotiation from scratch.

There is part of me that wonders if Jerry is just keeping things on hold to keep the Cowboys in the news in the absence of any team activities. I'm not normally one that buys into that kind of speculation, but in this case I'm wondering a little. It's hard to believe the two sides haven't covered all the ground by now.
I do agree in that surely the two sides cannot be that far apart?

Some say Prescott wants a 4 year contract when the Cowboys want a 5 year contract. Would the differences of 1 year really hold up the contract?

It would just seem weird.

As you state maybe Jerry is delaying it for a big announcement.

basel90

Reaction score

very true . And given the comparison , Jimmy G is better than Dak and has helped his team reach a Super Bowl. Dak could not beat the jets.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Garrett and crew sucked, so there is the source of the glee they are gone. Who but Dak deserves the criticism for inaccurate passes thrown above, behind, or low to receivers ? And social distancing in the face of a fatal pandemic probably shouldn’t include having a dinner party to socialize with your friends, whether it is 30 or 10 people. This is not a time most people are throwing dinner parties. Not a good look.

MaineBoy: Dak Prescott did not violate any Texas residential lock-down law. It apparently was less than 10 dinner guests. 30 people vs. <10 people IS a very big difference. It wasn't some wild open ended party. What is Dak supposed to do curl up in a fetal position and suck his thumb and obsess over the franchise tag day in, day out?

Has Dak thrown inaccurate passes to receivers this past season? Sure he has. But in 2019 it wasn't even that much of an issue. Name me the quarterback in the NFC or AFC who completed every pass perfectly.

Prescott ranked as the 6th best quarterback in the NFL in 2019. Gee you think he got that ranking throwing more incompletions than completions? He threw for almost 5,000 yards, what unbelievable luck throwing for that many yards considering he throws above, behind, low and into a parallel universe to receivers.

2019 stats: 388 of 596 (65.1%) for 4,902 yards (8.2 yards per attempt), 30 TDs and 11 INTs; 71.2 QBR; 52 carries for 277 yards and three TDs.

For the record I think Dak Prescott is a very good quarterback but not an elite quarterback. With this superior coaching staff Dak might get to the next level that helps him and the team get deeper into the post season. And perhaps not as well. Maybe this is Dak's ceiling. Who can really say until we get into the regular season which may not happen thanks to the pandemic.

I am disappointed that as the leader of this team he is not participating in the virtual off-season program. The Cowboys have made some very respectable offers to Dak, so it's not like they offered him subpar compensation and terms. If he doesn't sign the franchise tag and holds out he will be playing somewhere else. We are getting close to the draft and the Cowboys and Dak really need to know where each will stand final agreement/disagreement wise.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly...……..a lot of posters here seem to think that if you tag a player, he is under contract to you.

THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS!!!

The tag simply keeps Dak from negotiating with another team, that is it. And Dak has decided not to sign the tag yet, which is his right under the CBA, and thus he is considered without a contract. He currently is NOT a member of the Dallas Cowboys.

So all these posts that the team needs to trade him to Cinci or some other wasteland team "to teach him a lesson" are laughable. You cannot trade a player that is not under contract to your team. You cannot fine a player for missing meetings, OTAs, training camp, even preseason games if they are not under contract.

Dak is currently NOT a member of the Dallas Cowboys, they just have his rights but he is not contractually obligated to Dallas in any way.

Yup. He could decide not to sign - so, he couldn't play, practice, nor work out at the team's facilities. He could sit out the entire season if he so chose, but without pay from Cowboys. He could not play for anyone else.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
MaineBoy: Dak Prescott did not violate any Texas residential lock-down law. It apparently was less than 10 dinner guests. 30 people vs. <10 people IS a very big difference. It wasn't some wild open ended party. What is Dak supposed to do curl up in a fetal position and suck his thumb and obsess over the franchise tag day in, day out?

Has Dak thrown inaccurate passes to receivers this past season? Sure he has. But in 2019 it wasn't even that much of an issue. Name me the quarterback in the NFC or AFC who completed every pass perfectly.

Prescott ranked as the 6th best quarterback in the NFL in 2019. Gee you think he got that ranking throwing more incompletions than completions? He threw for almost 5,000 yards, what unbelievable luck throwing for that many yards considering he throws above, behind, low and into a parallel universe to receivers.

2019 stats: 388 of 596 (65.1%) for 4,902 yards (8.2 yards per attempt), 30 TDs and 11 INTs; 71.2 QBR; 52 carries for 277 yards and three TDs.

For the record I think Dak Prescott is a very good quarterback but not an elite quarterback. With this superior coaching staff Dak might get to the next level that helps him and the team get deeper into the post season. And perhaps not as well. Maybe this is Dak's ceiling. Who can really say until we get into the regular season which may not happen thanks to the pandemic.

I am disappointed that as the leader of this team he is not participating in the virtual off-season program. The Cowboys have made some very respectable offers to Dak, so it's not like they offered him subpar compensation and terms. If he doesn't sign the franchise tag and holds out he will be playing somewhere else. We are getting close to the draft and the Cowboys and Dak really need to know where each will stand final agreement/disagreement wise.

I don’t place much value on his stats because his stats are great against weak teams and not great against better teams. So we can agree to disagree on that but I thought you made some good points in an excellent post. Kudos.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Yup. He could decide not to sign - so, he couldn't play, practice, nor work out at the team's facilities. He could sit out the entire season if he so chose, but without pay from Cowboys. He could not play for anyone else.

But if he does not play and the Cowboys don't pay him, would our cap still take a hit for his tag amount?