Florio makes my point about contracts/QB Salary Cap?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
You are correct. Had they signed him with a year left it would’ve been cheaper then signing him with a year left and franchise tags.
Right, but let's not gloss over the fact that he turned down an offer at top market value because it was for five years and not the four he demanded.

Blaming Jerry for not signing him earlier, like you did, is just not accurate. There's more than enough to bash Jerry about without making stuff up.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
the fact that he's 11th or 12th on the aav list now says itr wasn't a bad deal for the team. kind of a wash IMHO. trust me agents know how to forecast deals and caps and he would have signed this TFD you speak of 3 years later he would have asked for more.. plus I don't think the jones family will ever do a 6+ year deal, haven't seen it and the void years are fake, all deals have those daks actually had those added recently.
I simply don't agree with any of that. Hes 12th in AAV which all that means is he signed a few years ago. If the deal was longer he would drop even further down the list which is what would make it a team friendly deal. Mahomes and Allen will likely be bottom half of the league in AAV if not next year the following year unless they choose to renegotiate for new contracts.

I understand that Dak would have asked for more money had he signed later, that's just how the system works. When I say TFD I'm primarily speaking to the length of the deal. After that it's the no trade/no tag clauses. Allen/Mahomes didn't take less money, they just took longer deals which end up being bargains after a while. The longer the deal the more flexibility to not only spread the cap hit, but also lower their AAV. A combination of the short deal plus poor management of his contract from the Joneses have left Dak with the 2nd highest cap hit in the league despite the 12th AAV.

As for the 6+ year deals they absolutely would. Anyone who wont sign their qb for 6+ years who is under the age of 30 is either a fool or they don't really like their QB. Tony Romo was a 6 year deal. Troy Aikman had a 9 year deal so it's not a matter of they wont do a deal like that. I think it's pretty clear Dak didn't want a longer deal so that he could get a new deal for top money while hes still in his prime.

Then I'm not even sure where the void years came into the conversation. Maybe a different poster brought up that topic, but I don't believe I mentioned void years once.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Right, but let's not gloss over the fact that he turned down an offer at top market value because it was for five years and not the four he demanded.

Blaming Jerry for not signing him earlier, like you did, is just not accurate. There's more than enough to bash Jerry about without making stuff up.
I didn’t specifically blame Jerry but yes it’s better to sign guys before their deal is up than to franchise tag. And according to who did he turn down top market? Last I saw he wanted a certain amount of years they didn’t want.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Signing two years before his deal is done isn’t a break. You still have to overpay to do it. But it would’ve even cheaper then the alternative.
Dak was never gonna sign early. France’s clients don’t sign early. They take the two tags so they can get power. Look at Burns at Carolina and the Denver safety. Dak is Todd’s bread winner.

Adreme

Reaction score
IF Taylor Swift thinks she is underpaid, do you agree?
You seem to think that there is no double standard; that everyone gets paid a lot in those industries.
I do have a problem with greed; you clearly do not
If someone else was making vastly more than her, then she would be underpaid, but she makes the most in the industry so your example is silly.

I just find it amazing how a group of billionaires have managed to convince a subset of people that a group of millionaires (there is a MASSIVE gap between the two) are the greedy ones.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
There is nothing to suggest if paid appropriately he could not get a deal signed.
What player under France has signed a below market deal. Plenty to suggest that Dak wants a bigger contract. You must not have paid attention to the interview France did after Dak signed his contract. He was upset and felt Dak should have held out for more. France is going for the jugular. Dak has let the dog off the leash.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I cant feel sorry for these teams if they cave to contract demands. Ultimately a player is either worthy what they are asking for or they are not. If Josh Allen asks for more money and the Bills don't believe they can be contenders paying him $60m+ then they need to move on and trade him for a massive draft haul, and let him destroy another teams cap

The players are often made out to be the villain in these situations, but it's the teams that allow this to go on.
really? and as soon as the team says nope, we will fine you, its the team that is made out to be the villain.

Only team I can remember holding their ground is the steelers when L Bell held out. The rest all cave.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I agree with you those clowns don't understand the cap and business side of football from behind a MIC they are suggesting crippling teams by having and players do this..,

there's already a cap,

teams have a choice on whether to keep overpaying quarterbacks or any players, or put their foot down and allow some other team to do it.. eventually if you stop handing out ridiculous contracts to certain positions... then you can easily stay within the salary cap restrictions which there aren't very many as we found out,

but This is why I've always said, and this proves my point everyone's saying the Jones family are responsible for setting new market and they're dumb for not paying players early, look no matter what would happen with Prescott back in 19/2020, if he would have signed early he would have been back holding out three years into his deal wanting to be paid with all these other guys are paid...these players and agents are not stupid. Tua just turned down 50!!! Miami needs to just say take it or leave it , don't cave..stop the madness.

Which by the way the Kansas City Chiefs have done this with Patrick Mahomes already it's kind of silent that they do it but they've gone to him and say hey we're just going to bump you a little bit we want to keep you happy because he is the best quarterback in the league and the only one winning rings on a regular basis...​
The Cleveland Browns already set a bad precedent giving Deshaun Watson under suspension who hasn't played well in two to three seasons a guaranteed $250 million contract without him playing a single snap for them , OH same with Wilson and Denver, and now well that's their own fault...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so no, there doesn't need to be a individual players cap teams need to be smarter, and they need to be more steadfast and stop caving and being scared to say no to some of these players demands...Owners are creating this mess.

Because now what it's led to is other positions seeing the imbalance and now instead of players coming in wanting to be top five in their position they want to be the next market setting highest paid non quarterback in the league that's the new trend it's starting with the receivers now and then it's going to the defensive ends this is getting out of control we don't need a specific cap for positions we need smarter and tougher general managers and owners not the keyed to all this nonsense....
They're the ones that are setting the market ,they're the ones who are killing the cap balance, all you have to do is be the trendsetter and say no, this is what we're offering ,it's ridiculous, it's making you rich, take it or leave it and let them walk away and if enough teams see other teams doing it they will do it and maybe finally the salary cap we'll start to have more balance..​
I dont want to hear about the Chiefs. Mahomes said hey, this is what I want. That was the end of negotiations. If Mahomes came back each year and said I want 1 year deals, and every year I want my deal to make me the highest paid QB, the chiefs would smile and say yes sir, no problem, can we also get a you a drink as you sign that deal.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Any limitations on their freedom to pursue their market value fits the description.

I’m not sure why some fans take such issue with how much athletes earn but I’m suspect and why I use such words.
I dont give one damn how much a player does or doesnt earn. I care about how the deal impacts the cap and thus the team. BUT, Once they sign a contract, thats it, they signed a contract. There is no slavery. That player can or can not sign the deal, it is 100% up to them.They have all the power. The team has zero power.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I dont give one damn how much a player does or doesnt earn. I care about how the deal impacts the cap and thus the team. BUT, Once they sign a contract, thats it, they signed a contract. There is no slavery. That player can or can not sign the deal, it is 100% up to them.They have all the power. The team has zero power.
Teams ultimately have the power to one, not sign the player and two not renegotiate.

If the player wants to hold out , fine, don’t pay them and let them walk in FA if they have a no trade clause.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams ultimately have the power to one, not sign the player and two not renegotiate.

If the player wants to hold out , fine, don’t pay them and let them walk in FA if they have a no trade clause.
They have the power but few have the courage to play hardball.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What player under France has signed a below market deal. Plenty to suggest that Dak wants a bigger contract. You must not have paid attention to the interview France did after Dak signed his contract. He was upset and felt Dak should have held out for more. France is going for the jugular. Dak has let the dog off the leash.
Where did I say anything about below market value? In order to get a real done you overpay now and save later. The league is showing you guys how to handle this it’s just Jerry and his son living in the past.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Where did I say anything about below market value? In order to get a real done you overpay now and save later. The league is showing you guys how to handle this it’s just Jerry and his son living in the past.
I think Jerry is upset with that playoff loss and his plan is not to sign anyone unless we have playoff success. I could see him saying Dak. CeeDee, and Micah give me some wins in the playoffs and I will give you what you want. Jerry could be a jerk and make CeeDee and Parsons play on the tag.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think Jerry is upset with that playoff loss and his plan is not to sign anyone unless we have playoff success. I could see him saying Dak. CeeDee, and Micah give me some wins in the playoffs and I will give you what you want. Jerry could be a jerk and make CeeDee and Parsons play on the tag.
But it makes no sense. If they suck in the playoffs that means you need to get better. They did nothing to improve the team and expect different results?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
But it makes no sense. If they suck in the playoffs that means you need to get better. They did nothing to improve the team and expect different results?
Jerry thinks we have a Super Bowl roster. The guys they let go I bet the scouts and coaches wanted gone. Jerry and company think they have the secret sauce.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Mike Florio was discussing the fact it is said owners are discussing the possibility of a QB salary cap. I find that to be quite interesting, but he went on to discuss Josh Allens deal that will pay him 45 million this year..... or the deal avgs 45 million. Anyways, he was saying how Allen is vastly "Underpaid." Huh???? Dude signed a 6 year extension and had something like 150 million guaranteed. He signed the deal. His agent j knew it was a 6 year deal which they had to know 3 years down the road his deal would be small compared to some others. In any event, it appears Allen is signed through 2028... and yet Florio is already calling for Allen to go back to the Bills to basically say.... hey yo, you know that 1/4 billion dollar deal I signed a couple years ago? well, its time to up the ante.

That is total BS IMo. 4 more years remaining on his deal and the Bills are supposed to redo the deal? Funny how I just wrote about this very thing and what a joke these contracts are when players want to just redo a "Contract," as soon as others pass their deal up.

Hold firm Bills, hold firm.
Man so concerned about ot her people's money. And I guarantee you have wished in your heart we cut a player before.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Mike Florio was discussing the fact it is said owners are discussing the possibility of a QB salary cap. I find that to be quite interesting, but he went on to discuss Josh Allens deal that will pay him 45 million this year..... or the deal avgs 45 million. Anyways, he was saying how Allen is vastly "Underpaid." Huh???? Dude signed a 6 year extension and had something like 150 million guaranteed. He signed the deal. His agent j knew it was a 6 year deal which they had to know 3 years down the road his deal would be small compared to some others. In any event, it appears Allen is signed through 2028... and yet Florio is already calling for Allen to go back to the Bills to basically say.... hey yo, you know that 1/4 billion dollar deal I signed a couple years ago? well, its time to up the ante.

That is total BS IMo. 4 more years remaining on his deal and the Bills are supposed to redo the deal? Funny how I just wrote about this very thing and what a joke these contracts are when players want to just redo a "Contract," as soon as others pass their deal up.

Hold firm Bills, hold firm.
The owners cant unilaterally place a cap on any one position because it is not in the CBA and any agreement among the owners to implement such a thing would be considered collusion and grounds for the NFLPA to terminate the current CBA.

This article talks about the entire issue and how it literally is the dumbest idea the owners could come up with since the CBA does not allow it. If the owners want to cap QB salaries, they can bring up the issue again in 2031 when the current CBA expires.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/nfl...umbest-idea-yet/ar-BB1oAMKE?ocid=BingNewsSerp