Flyer's 2 Hat Tricks Vs. Penquins

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;4556125 said:
As much as I'd like to blame the goalie for the loss of the series, I can't do it. Offensively, defensively this team was horrible.

Well then you can join the 1% that agree with you.

There's no question that other factors also led to being eliminated but the bottom line is he's paid to be a franchise goaltender and he isn't. He came up real small in the playoffs after a lackluster regular season.

If the Flyers could get out of that contract they would. Since they can't, I'm sure they'll focus on defense and hope improvement in that area combined with the maturation of the young players will be good enough to carry a very ordinary goaltender.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star;4556156 said:

There's no question that other factors also led to being eliminated but the bottom line is he's paid to be a franchise goaltender and he isn't. He came up real small in the playoffs after a lackluster regular season.

If the Flyers could get out of that contract they would. Since they can't, I'm sure they'll focus on defense and hope improvement in that area combined with the maturation of the young players will be good enough to carry a very ordinary goaltender.

Hey, I understand the hate after the mind-numbing goal he let in.

But let's be realistic... The Flyers scored 7 goals in the final 4 games.

That's not going to get it done.

Here's the list of goal scorers in the 4 losses to New Jersey. Each scored 1 goal.

Talbot
Hartnell
Giroux
Schenn
Carle
Briere
Read

What a sorry arsed list.

I can't blame the goalie for that steaming loaf the Flyer's offense laid.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Flyers' goalie woes getting worse

After historically bad playoffs, big contract binds Philly to Ilya Bryzgalov

The funny thing is that other than the highly visible gaffe on the David Clarkson goal in Game 5 against New Jersey, some folks don't seem to realize how poor Bryzgalov's performance actually was, perhaps in part because of how dreadful Pittsburgh's Marc-Andre Fleury (.834 SP in six games) was against Philadelphia in Round 1. This was a historically bad playoff run for Bryzgalov, the worst of the post-lockout era, if you consider goaltenders who played at least seven games in a postseason.

So ironically, the Flyers stand farther away from finding that elusive elite netminder than they did a year ago. Because of the long-term commitment to Bryzgalov, it seems extremely unlikely that Philadelphia would acquire another big-name goaltender. In the short run, the Flyers can hope that Bryzgalov can perform up to the standards of an average NHL starter. But the numbers indicate that might be the best they'll get.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/play...-leaves-philadelphia-flyers-black-hole-crease

Read that article if you're an insider, Mike. It puts it in proper perspective of just how bad he was this season and how overrated Bryzgalov has been over his career.

I don't know if you can find a worse decision in the history of the team. It's that bad.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star;4556274 said:

Flyers' goalie woes getting worse

After historically bad playoffs, big contract binds Philly to Ilya Bryzgalov

The funny thing is that other than the highly visible gaffe on the David Clarkson goal in Game 5 against New Jersey, some folks don't seem to realize how poor Bryzgalov's performance actually was, perhaps in part because of how dreadful Pittsburgh's Marc-Andre Fleury (.834 SP in six games) was against Philadelphia in Round 1. This was a historically bad playoff run for Bryzgalov, the worst of the post-lockout era, if you consider goaltenders who played at least seven games in a postseason.

So ironically, the Flyers stand farther away from finding that elusive elite netminder than they did a year ago. Because of the long-term commitment to Bryzgalov, it seems extremely unlikely that Philadelphia would acquire another big-name goaltender. In the short run, the Flyers can hope that Bryzgalov can perform up to the standards of an average NHL starter. But the numbers indicate that might be the best they'll get.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/play...-leaves-philadelphia-flyers-black-hole-crease

Read that article if you're an insider, Mike. It puts it in proper perspective of just how bad he was this season and how overrated Bryzgalov has been over his career.

I don't know if you can find a worse decision in the history of the team. It's that bad.

I'm not an insider...

I know the guy was very bad for a good sized chunk of the season.

But the series vs the Devils was not a low point for him... Except for the misplayed goal in game 5.

Many of his teammates were worse.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stat from the paper...

In the last two games, the Flyers had a total of 34 giveaways while the Devils had 11

Lack of talent?

Lack of effort?

-23 in turnovers over two games is stunningly bad.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Risen Star;4556049 said:
Holmgren has made many dumb deals. Richards, JVR, Pronger, Bryz. He gets credit for the trades but his weakness is over paying players.

Richards wasn't a dumb deal.. the dumb part was trading a premier player in this league who's locked up for only 5 mil a year for the rest of his career. I'd love to have him back right now and i'd gladly give Simmons and Schenn back.

Richards was what Bryz is now. A scapegoat. A fall guy.. but neither deserves the criticism they got. Contrary to everything people want to bs about right now, Bryz didn't lose them that series. In fact, he was the only reason it was even close.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Risen Star;4556156 said:

Who cares if only one percent agree that the goalie wasn't the reason we failed in this series? They would be the one percent who have a clue what they're talking about.. and i'll gladly stand with those people. The rest of you can stand with the morons in the Philly media and latch on to their bs they report since they found their new scapegoat this season. Anybody with a pair of eyes knows Bryz kept that series closer than it should have been, and the skaters on the Flyers got outworked and outclassed all series long.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RoyTheHammer;4556307 said:
Who cares if only one percent agree that the goalie wasn't the reason we failed in this series? They would be the one percent who have a clue what they're talking about.. and i'll gladly stand with those people. The rest of you can stand with the morons in the Philly media and latch on to their bs they report since they found their new scapegoat this season. Anybody with a pair of eyes knows Bryz kept that series closer than it should have been, and the skaters on the Flyers got outworked and outclassed all series long.

-23 turnover difference over the last two games... period after period the Flyers were outshot, sometimes by ridiculous amounts.

There were several that didn't give full effort.

That was a big problem.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Giroux was quoted that they took NJ for granted and thought that could walk right over them....oh well

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4556321 said:
-23 turnover difference over the last two games... period after period the Flyers were outshot, sometimes by ridiculous amounts.

There were several that didn't give full effort.

That was a big problem.

Yes, sir. When you spend most of the series in your own zone, its pretty telling.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Joe Realist;4556334 said:
Giroux was quoted that they took NJ for granted and thought that could walk right over them....oh well

I heard Jagr say the same thing. It is hard to turn that switch back on once you turned it off. They never got going in this series.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4556017 said:
Unfortunately no.

Not the way I've read things.

Not sure with Kimmo, but if Pronger retires the Flyers are still on the hook for his $5 mil per season cap hit until the conclusion of his contract.

depends how old he was when he signed the contract, if 35, then yes it is on the books

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CanadianCowboysFan;4556979 said:
depends how old he was when he signed the contract, if 35, then yes it is on the books

Thanks for the tip!

Then yes, Pronger's contract stays on the books.

Timmo's was not a 35+ contract.

I'm still stunned on why the Flyers would have committed to Pronger for that length of time.

If he retires they're screwed with a $5 mil cap hit until like forever.

They end up having to basically cheat the system and leave him on the long term disabled list.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bryzgalov, to a Russian reporter (he won't talk to anybody else) - What I went through this year I wouldn't wish on an enemy.

What a disaster. I wish we could send this mentally weak little girl packing.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star;4558819 said:
Bryzgalov, to a Russian reporter (he won't talk to anybody else) - What I went through this year I wouldn't wish on an enemy.

With his contract it won't happen.

I think he's gotten way too much blame for the Devils' series.

That was a clusterfudge for the offense & defense.

The "system" they're using doesn't seem to work against foes who are disciplined on defense.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4555596 said:
I'm wondering if a change in scheme is in order. They looked lost in both the offensive and defensive ends.

They seem to have lost their way.
Recent history is littered with regular season offensive powerhouses getting their butts kicked in the playoffs.

Look who is still playing. Pretty much all, defense first, try and capitalize on turnovers, teams that can roll four lines.

High flying offensive systems will get it done in the regular season when the officials encourage that style but when the officials revert to the past and keep the whistles in their pockets in the post season "dirty" hockey is the key to success.

That and your goalie has to win a couple for you.

The Flyers are always looking to jump on the offense instead of playing defense and taking advantage of opportunities when they present themselves. This is why they struggle against teams like the Devils who made their bones playing the trap.

Playoff hockey is all about protecting your end first and scoring second. The Flyers seem to have forgotten that.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Risen Star;4558819 said:

Really? Wow.

He wasn't the cause of the collapse but he showed nothing to indicate he's got what it takes.

The second coming of Loungo maybe.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vtwin;4558849 said:
Really? Wow.

He wasn't the cause of the collapse but he showed nothing to indicate he's got what it takes.

I'm on the fence with Bryz.

On one hand he was horrible for good chunks of the season.

On the other he was the NHL player of the month for March... which says something.

I'm also leery of the defense in front of Bryz. They hang him out to dry far too often.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vtwin;4558849 said:
Really? Wow.

That's what was reported on Philly's WIP radio station. That goes along with his midseason quote that he "needs to find peace within himself to play here".

The guy's weak minded. He hasn't been through anything any other high priced goalie playing in a city that cares has gone through.

Go back to Phoenix where nobody cares. Loser.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star;4559482 said:
That's what was reported on Philly's WIP radio station. That goes along with his midseason quote that he "needs to find peace within himself to play here".

The guy's weak minded. He hasn't been through anything any other high priced goalie playing in a city that cares has gone through.

Go back to Phoenix where nobody cares. Loser.

You know that isn't going to happen.

Not with his age/contract.

He's our's baby!

Now the Flyers braintrust needs to figure out how to cultivate a successful environment with the guy on the team.