FO needs to reassess any hints it made to Dalton about leading this team

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dalton wasn't promised any such thing. Just another CZ myth that's gone viral.

He's the back up QB. They signed him because he's better than Cooper Rush.
Exactly, and who knows, part of it may have been to have a contingency in place if Dak never shows up. But Dalton was not brought in to compete with Dak for the job.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dalton signed a 1 year 3 million dollar deal, I think he is smart enough to know that is low end backup QB money. He was not brought here to be the starting QB. Only way he gets in is injury to Dak or Dak play falls off so far they are forced to switch QB. Dallas is not sitting what will be a high price tag QB in Dak on the bench. Like it or not, Dak is the starting QB for the Cowboys and likely will be for a while.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where do y'all get all of this inside info on conversations and deals with players from management?

Do you even know if Dalton even wants the QB1 job at 3-7M a year?

Please name all of the teams that have signed a FA QB for 3M guarantee and tagged the QB1 for 31.4M and expect them to fight it out?

This Dalton deal is an agreement of convenience for all the parties involved. He wasn't signed to send a message to Prescott and he didn't come to Dallas expecting to take the job. He's hanging at home in Dallas and riding out one of the worst years for FA QB's I can recall. This situation was tailor made for Dalton and the team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I doubt any promises were made to dalton. The reason he's here is a matter of common sense.
You are trying to reach a logical consensus with a troll.

Dalton has already spoken on the subject and stated it is is Dak's job and he is here this year during COVID but will seek a starting job NEXT year.
The entire OP was typical nonsense spewed by a troll.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dalton signed a 1 year 3 million dollar deal, I think he is smart enough to know that is low end backup QB money. He was not brought here to be the starting QB. Only way he gets in is injury to Dak or Dak play falls off so far they are forced to switch QB. Dallas is not sitting what will be a high price tag QB in Dak on the bench. Like it or not, Dak is the starting QB for the Cowboys and likely will be for a while.

What is high end, in your view?

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
What was Dalton promised?

Some nonsense that you and other cospiratards made up here in the Zone?

you owe me two minutes of my life back
It took you two minutes to read that and you call other people 'tards?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dalton wasn't promised any such thing. Just another CZ myth that's gone viral.

He's the back up QB. They signed him because he's better than Cooper Rush.

Where do you get this information from?

I rightly don;t know what they told him. You do ...apparently.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dalton's agent brought up the idea of Dalton starting.

Then someone reminded Dak Haters Dalton has 118 Career INTs and 14 Career Pick 6s.

Dalton was promised nothing....DiNucci starts if Dak fails

I see...so you admonish others for spreading false rumors...by...spreading false rumors?

Stand by while I calibrate my sarcasm meter. Maybe it's that.

shabazz

Reaction score
So the way it works is that anyone can start an illogical unsubstantiated rumor and it will catch on and be discussed as if it were objectively true? Got it. Seriously there's no amount of reason on here anymore.

NY Times, CNN, and other outlets have been doing it with impunity...…..why not hold this forum to the same standard?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly, and who knows, part of it may have been to have a contingency in place if Dak never shows up. But Dalton was not brought in to compete with Dak for the job.

What do you mean "exactly" Where did you get this information from? Sounds made up, just like the OP dalton thing.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Maybe not intentionally. I am not saying he will or won;t.... I'm just saying.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you mean "exactly" Where did you get this information from? Sounds made up, just like the OP dalton thing.
Seems pretty clear to me that when I said "exactly", I was expressing my belief that the poster I quoted had it right. As for the source of the information, Dalton himself has said he is only on the team to be Dak's backup and to play only if Dak isn't available for some reason. I'll bet you dollars to donuts I could find quotes from Stephen or Jerry saying the same thing.

I'm wondering why that would sound made up anyway. Why would it seem odd that the $30-35 million dollar a year QB would be the starter and the $3-7 million QB on a one year contract would be the backup? Of course Dak isn't signed yet, but logic dictates if he is he will be the starter, and logic also dictates that the team wouldn't promise Dalton a chance to start over a $30-35 million/year guy.

Qcard

Reaction score
I see...so you admonish others for spreading false rumors...by...spreading false rumors?

Stand by while I calibrate my sarcasm meter. Maybe it's that.
No I admonish Dak Haters by ridiculing them and treating them like the deplorables they are....any ambiguity sir?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
...Or about giving Dalton every chance to compete.

Why?

Because, stout men and ankle-twisting women, the moment Jerry signs Dak via new offer or tag,
does anybody think Jerry would give the job to Dalton and leave his $30 million QB on the sidelines?

Dalton was promised a bill of goods.

Avoid this dilemma, blokes. Jerry, trade Dak while you can. Save a lot of money and rebuild the defense!I
If not you have to sit down with Dak again.
what was he promised? he knew the situation. he got cut in favor or a rookie the bengals drafted, meaning, we are moving on. he knew Dak had a franchise tag and the cowboys were negotiating a long term contract....what was he exactly promised? that he would come here and have a chance to compete for starting job? what goods was he sold? he is here to be the back up, he is here to improve the back up QB position in dallas. he is here to play a few games if Dak is not signed and he is here to mop up duty when we blow teams out....

this is by far one of the most stupidest posts I have yet read....geez

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What is high end, in your view?
A franchise tag of 31 Mill? long term 35 mill plus. I would consider that pretty high end in terms of a contract. On the other end you have Dalton on a 1 year 3 million, I don't think he is under any delusion of what his role is on the team. I think some fans here are under this delusion

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
A franchise tag of 31 Mill? long term 35 mill plus. I would consider that pretty high end in terms of a contract. On the other end you have Dalton on a 1 year 3 million, I don't think he is under any delusion of what his role is on the team. I think some fans here are under this delusion

OK. What backup QB is making 31 to 35 mil to be a backup? I mean, it can't be considered high end unless somebody is actually making that kind of salary as a backup, I would think.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
OK. What backup QB is making 31 to 35 mil to be a backup? I mean, it can't be considered high end unless somebody is actually making that kind of salary as a backup, I would think.

I don't know of any, I said Dak was the starting QB, Dalton is here for backup role and he knows it. Some fans here do not seem to grasp it.

Only way Dalton sees playing field will be Dak getting injured or his play falls off so bad that coaches feel the need to make a change, I don't suspect that will happen.